• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stenger and Quiros Ousted from Management of Jay Peak and Burke

KingdomBC

Very diplomatic, but he was never "there" on good terms. His sole mission was to sever ties with the community and go it alone. He alone is the reason that service, morale, and the overall atmosphere surrounding what had always make Burke great suffered. I'm delighted to hear that the management company let him go, and unfortunately understand the "saving face" way in which they approached it. While it would have been great to blast him back to Miami by way of circus cannon, I applaud the receiver's tact in an otherwise delicate situation.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Very diplomatic, but he was never "there" on good terms. His sole mission was to sever ties with the community and go it alone. He alone is the reason that service, morale, and the overall atmosphere surrounding what had always make Burke great suffered. I'm delighted to hear that the management company let him go, and unfortunately understand the "saving face" way in which they approached it. While it would have been great to blast him back to Miami by way of circus cannon, I applaud the receiver's tact in an otherwise delicate situation.

Spot on

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

I vote for the latter.

Just ask Madoff.

Agreed.

Often once the "jig is up", fraudsters act bombastically, desperately attempting to convey an innocence and legitimacy, and given the circumstances, attending a Chamber of Commerce meeting (I still cant believe this, lol) sounds like someone's sarcastic joke at this point, rather than actual reality.

VTKilarney

Stenger can act as naive as he wants. But what he can't do is make the feds forget that they (allegedly) have an email trail going back as far as 2010 showing that Stenger was well aware that his business was diverting EB-5 funds inappropriately.

The fact that this information is out there, and yet Stenger maintains that he had no clue - suggests that Stenger believes that we are all idiots.

There is a lot to like about Stenger. But if the allegations are true, he was a long-time knowing accomplice to the theft of millions of dollars.

abc

The fact that this information is out there, and yet Stenger maintains that he had no clue - suggests that Stenger believes that we are all idiots.
Of course he thinks everybody else are idiots!

He can't run a scam if he believe his victims are as smart as himself.

Domeskier

A quote from the new guy running Burke from today's Caledonian Record:

He volunteered to work for free?????? Do you think that he was just being charitable or did he want to be a fox in the henhouse? Either way, you know you aren't wanted when you offer to work for free and are still shown the door.

I wonder what his severance package looks like.

chrisinvermont

It's going to get interesting for Davis and Peak CM. I'm quite sure that during the Madoff unwinding that "profits" that were paid to some investors were clawed back. It looks like the state already had some issues with Davis's alleged costs and once goldberg and crew audit all of the projects I bet there will be a lot more. I think it's a safe bet that with all of the no bid contracts, Davis has padded and inflated numbers. Here's hoping for a Peak CM clawback. Oh yeah, electric Mike as well.

JoeB-Z

It's going to get interesting for Davis and Peak CM. I'm quite sure that during the Madoff unwinding that "profits" that were paid to some investors were clawed back. It looks like the state already had some issues with Davis's alleged costs and once goldberg and crew audit all of the projects I bet there will be a lot more. I think it's a safe bet that with all of the no bid contracts, Davis has padded and inflated numbers. Here's hoping for a Peak CM clawback. Oh yeah, electric Mike as well.

This is an SEC action to protect the investors, not necessarily creditors. The receiver has made it clear there is a new sheriff in town. Crony contractors will be way down on the list despite whining and political pressure. Legitimate subs who can exactly substantiate their billing to competitive rates and costs will stand a chance to get something in the end. They had better move on though because unless they are needed for ongoing work or operations, they are at the end of a long line.

SkiingInABlueDream

Tin

Quiros didn't know that the contractor could not legally withhold the certificate of occupancy. He could have had the hotel open.

http://vtdigger.org/2016/04/30/burke-now-in-full-control-of-sec-receiver/

Within one day of taking over the hotel the receiver got the certificate.

We can say how "dumb" they were all we want, fact is they were able to obtain millions of dollars and allegedly able to siphon off tens of millions for their own personal use. They are not dumb, they were just "dumb enough" to get caught. These guys had a plan and there are other strategic reasons why the hotel did not open other than a certificate. If the feds can figure out why exactly, this will be the foundation for the criminal fraud and conspiracy charges that may come.

Last edited:

abc

We can say how "dumb" they were all we want, fact is they were able to obtain millions of dollars and allegedly able to siphon off tens of millions for their own personal use. They are not dumb, they were just "dumb enough" to get caught.
Anybody can go rob a bank. It's the one who can get away without getting caught that are "smart". The really smart ones? OWN the bank!

There're gazilion ways to make money. But there're even more people who're trying each and everyone of those ways, legally. It's only when those who aren't smart enough to make money the legal way they would attempt criminal ways. Being caught IS the dumbest!

LONGBOARDR

Anybody can go rob a bank. It's the one who can get away without getting caught that are "smart". The really smart ones? OWN the bank!

There're gazilion ways to make money. But there're even more people who're trying each and everyone of those ways, legally. It's only when those who aren't smart enough to make money the legal way they would attempt criminal ways. Being caught IS the dumbest!

I don't follow the logic or train of thought either

BenedictGomez

The receiver has made it clear there is a new sheriff in town. Crony contractors will be way down on the list despite whining and political pressure. Legitimate subs who can exactly substantiate their billing to competitive rates and costs will stand a chance to get something in the end.

As it should be. What's sad is if you're the grunt construction worker who may be without an employer if they go out of business. I dont know how "all encompassing" the SEC investigation is, but frankly, one would hope the contractor getting all these high-value, no-bid jobs, should be thoroughly investigated as well.

We can say how "dumb" they were all we want, fact is they were able to obtain millions of dollars and allegedly able to siphon off tens of millions for their own personal use. They are not dumb, they were just "dumb enough" to get caught.

No, it was dumb.

They took WAY too much money out, WAY too soon. Quiros made it near impossible to NOT get caught.

And in the immortal words of Shania Twain, tricking government employees and politicians dont impress me much. Frankly, if Quiros just stole the $2 Million for the NYC real estate, I'm highly confident he would have gotten away with it by papering-over invoices given the enormous scope of the sums involved here, and the fact State of Vermont was lying and not monitoring his finances at all (which Stenger and Quiros knew).

Some time ago, before this news of the Ponzi Scheme broke, I had mentioned that it wouldn't even shock me if organized crime is involved here at some level, and it still wouldnt shock me in the least if a few years from now we learn that was the case.