• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stenger and Quiros Ousted from Management of Jay Peak and Burke

steamboat1

VTKilarney

user-offline.png
On Time Out

?????????????????

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, I'll give you a couple years to say "I've said... and no one believed me"!:roll:

BG sniffed this one a long time ago. If you go to the first few posts in the Burke thread you will see that I was supportive. I liked Stenger. Still in shock.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

freeski

I don't really see that VTK said anything wrong here to warrant that unless something was changed/deleted...
He used quotes incorrectly. If something was deleted good policy would dictate an explanation to the board.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It is very rare that a member is disciplined on this site and when it happens it is the business of the member and moderator involved. Out of respect of the privacy of those involved I will only say that if there doesn't appear to be a problem in the public forum, then the issue occurred in private.

Moving on.....

Last edited:

abc

BG sniffed this one a long time ago. If you go to the first few posts in the Burke thread you will see that I was supportive. I liked Stenger. Still in shock.
Did he "sniff out" the organized crime angle in Madoff's scheme too? Now that it's "several years" after, and so far nothing came out.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Did he "sniff out" the organized crime angle in Madoff's scheme too? Now that it's "several years" after, and so far nothing came out.

Yeah, I don't know about that. The PBS Frontline episode on Madoff is pretty interesting. In a lot of ways Q had similar traits--laying in the shadows, not wanting to draw attention to himself, being very secretive about how he managed money, and being able to mislead regulators.

BenedictGomez

Huh?

Reread what I wrote, as you're obviously missing something given I clearly stated I don't know whether a tie-in to organized crime was ever discovered with Madoff.

I never really followed-up on the Madoff debacle after the first few years, so I dont know what was found regarding organized crime (if any), but I do recall watching Markopolos testify on live TV that after he handed the SEC Madoff's head on a silver platter not once, but twice, and yet the government did nothing, he didn't push it a 3rd-time, because he felt it highly likely the Russian mafia and possibly South American baddies were involved, and he was worried he could be outed and killed due to his realization via their non-handling of his smoking-gun evidence on Madoff, that the SEC was either incompetent, or that worse perhaps someone high up at the SEC was protecting Madoff and was in on the crime.

abc

I read your post as you still "believe" there is likely organized connection, despite no evidence were ever discovered and the scheme is now several years behind us.

BenedictGomez

I read your post as you still "believe" there is likely organized connection, despite no evidence were ever discovered and the scheme is now several years behind us.

No, that's not what I wrote. What I wrote (and it seems pretty clearly written to me) is that I don't know one way or the other if organized crime was ever involved with Madoff.

If there are penalties for that, you would have been sentenced to the Electric Chair.

ZING!

SkiFanE

No, that's not what I wrote. What I wrote (and it seems pretty clearly written to me) is that I don't know one way or the other if organized crime was ever involved with Madoff.

ZING!
I'm just peaking at this thread on page 72, sorry I don't have the in depth history. But a friend of mine, who basically has same job as Bernie but on a teeny tiny scale (lol) swears there was an inside connection - just because he's 100% certain he'd have been caught by SEC, as the normal audits by the regulators he'd always get would have bagged Bernie (friend goes on about FINRA or whatever and my eyes glaze...). But he's never been able to figure out how he got away with it without help, or he's missing some piece of the story (possible).