• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 2016-7: It's On!

mriceyman

Think I am going on Wednesday. I have never done lift service in Oct. I have done a few earn your turns days in the past.

Wednesday will probably be far better than tuesday

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

NWS Forecast for Killington Peak is below. Given the guns are running I'd presume the temp did not get up to 34 at 6am today. In any event it appears to get colder from here and tonight will be a decent night at 20 degrees, though hard to tell where the wet bulb ends up. And its supposed to get colder beyond Tuesday. I think they have a pretty good week to get even more open......

THE FORECAST FOR KILLINGTON PEAK, VERMONT AT 4,235:
LAST UPDATED AT 323 AM EDT MON OCT 24 2016

.TODAY...SUMMITS IN AND OUT OF CLOUDS. HIGH AROUND 33. WEST WINDS
25 TO 35 MPH.
.TONIGHT...SUMMITS OBSCURED IN CLOUDS. LOW AROUND 20. NORTHWEST
WINDS 30 TO 40 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 1 BELOW.
.TUESDAY...SUMMITS OBSCURED IN CLOUDS. HIGH AROUND 28. NORTHWEST
WINDS 30 TO 45 MPH...DECREASING TO 25 TO 30 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.
WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 1 BELOW.

DETAILED FORECAST DATA:

DATE MON 10/24/16 TUE 10/25/16
TIME (EDT) 06 09 12 15 18 21 00 03 06 09 12 15 18
TEMP (F) 34 33 33 33 28 24 20 20 20 20 21 23 24
WIND DIR W W W W W NW NW NW NW NW NW NW NW
WIND SPD (MPH) 26 32 27 25 31 37 39 41 41 37 26 27 32
SKY COVER (%) IO IO IO IO IO OB OB OB OB OB OB OB OB
WIND CHL (F) 21 19 19 20 12 5 -1 -1 -1 0 4 6 6
PROP PRECIP (%) 11 5 6 11 13 12 6 7 9 11 16 18 12
SNOW AMT (IN) 0 0 0 0 0 T T

yeggous

NWS Forecast for Killington Peak is below. Given the guns are running I'd presume the temp did not get up to 34 at 6am today. In any event it appears to get colder from here and tonight will be a decent night at 20 degrees, though hard to tell where the wet bulb ends up. And its supposed to get colder beyond Tuesday. I think they have a pretty good week to get even more open......

25 TO 35 MPH.

DETAILED FORECAST DATA:

It could have gotten at least that warm, especially at the base of the lift. They may have decided just to blow water for a bit assuming they resulting slush pile will freeze back up. They'll call it "base snow".

bdfreetuna

How long ya think it'll be for top to bottom skiing? Might go up in a week or so especially if some progress is being made.

yeggous

How long ya think it'll be for top to bottom skiing? Might go up in a week or so especially if some progress is being made.

At K-Mart? A long time. They are always slow to the bottom, and the weather is not looking favorable next week. BW, the Cat, or Sunday River will be will the first top to bottom. It's not clear that they'll do it this week though. If they do it will be thin and at risk next week.

bdfreetuna

Okay. So what's the expansion plan most likely to be prior to Great Northern > Mousetrap?

What trails/lifts are likely to open up after Rime and Reason?

yeggous

Okay. So what's the expansion plan most likely to be prior to Great Northern > Mousetrap?

I'll leave that to others more familiar with K to answer. My point is they are never in a hurry to get to the bottom. They usually stay up top for a week or two longer than the other early season players.

Tin

Bretton Woods, Okemo, Sugarbush, Sunday River, Wildcat (one other odd ball, maybe Stratton or Loon?) were all top to bottom before K last year. But three years ago K had 50 trails including the Canyon and SS area open by November 15th and other places were struggling. Who knows...

dlague

You need Great Norther to get to Mouse Trap.

They typically will work towards getting everything around North Ridge open and use Great Northern to open Top to Bottom down to Bunny Buster with Mouse Trap not far behind. At that point Bunny Buster is nuts. After that, it becomes an all out assault on SS and Snowdon. However, SS will be getting some love right off the bat due to FIS.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
You need Great Norther to get to Mouse Trap.

They typically will work towards getting everything around North Ridge open and use Great Northern to open Top to Bottom down to Bunny Buster with Mouse Trap not far behind. At that point Bunny Buster is nuts. After that, it becomes an all out assault on SS and Snowdon. However, SS will be getting some love right off the bat due to FIS.

The top of SS is getting love right now. They need to build that base up!

Jully

Think I am going on Wednesday. I have never done lift service in Oct. I have done a few earn your turns days in the past.

Jealous. I'm stuck in Michigan until Sunday. Going on Monday. At least I'll still be able to claim October lift served! I'm hoping Wildcat will be open by monday, but it not K will be great as well I'm sure.

For midweek early season I'm assuming K is superior to BW. I've never done Bretton Woods early before, but a 1000 very green trail I think is inferior to two or three 600 very trails at K. What do others think?

Newpylong

It could have gotten at least that warm, especially at the base of the lift. They may have decided just to blow water for a bit assuming they resulting slush pile will freeze back up. They'll call it "base snow".

Part of snowmaking is continually walking the line and checking the guns (placement and for icing/bearding) and snow quality. If conditions did not allow for any nucleation (and I mean any, like even at a 1/4 turn of the water hydrant) they would just shut the guns down to concentrate available air higher up where it was still possible to make snow. Blowing water even if it later freezes only makes a mess, it doesn't help base building. Best to shutdown and wait for better conditions, which they will get.

Smellytele

Jealous. I'm stuck in Michigan until Sunday. Going on Monday. At least I'll still be able to claim October lift served! I'm hoping Wildcat will be open by monday, but it not K will be great as well I'm sure.

For midweek early season I'm assuming K is superior to BW. I've never done Bretton Woods early before, but a 1000 very green trail I think is inferior to two or three 600 very trails at K. What do others think?

Well I tend to agree but the lines are usually worse at K and K involves stairs down and then up. They aren't bad but they are there. Early season is early season so you need to weigh the options and decided what you are willing to put up with. 1st day last year I did Bretton woods and I was glad it was an easy green trail.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Both Wildcat and Bretton Woods don't open mid-week until a few weeks into the season.

Jully

Well I tend to agree but the lines are usually worse at K and K involves stairs down and then up. They aren't bad but they are there. Early season is early season so you need to weigh the options and decided what you are willing to put up with. 1st day last year I did Bretton woods and I was glad it was an easy green trail.

Definitely will have to weigh my options. The stairs are definitely a downside to K, though I've done them a few times and they haven't bothered me that much. After Rime and Reason do they immediately move to Great Northern and ski out from the gondola? I can't remember if they do anything else at North Ridge before.

Both Wildcat and Bretton Woods don't open mid-week until a few weeks into the season.

Dang it... completely forgot about that. It will be Halloween though! Not that that will count for anything...

deadheadskier

Staff member
1st day last year I did Bretton woods and I was glad it was an easy green trail.

Yeah, I like the slope at Bretton Woods as a first day out option. I've had several days at BW early season in recent years and it's great way to wake the legs back up. Lynx at Wildcat kicks my ass early season.

dlague

Definitely will have to weigh my options. The stairs are definitely a downside to K, though I've done them a few times and they haven't bothered me that much. After Rime and Reason do they immediately move to Great Northern and ski out from the gondola? I can't remember if they do anything else at North Ridge before.

We have been to opening weekend 4 of the last 6 years and Great Northern right from the Gondola was available all but one time. that one time we had to walk the steps down, however, the following week Great Northern was open from the Gondola but still had to do the steps back up. They will get East Fall open and a few other trails to the right of Reason (can't remember the names). Then they work their way down with Great Northern as mentioned earlier.

yeggous

Yeah, I like the slope at Bretton Woods as a first day out option. I've had several days at BW early season in recent years and it's great way to wake the legs back up. Lynx at Wildcat kicks my ass early season.

Agree on all counts

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

25 TO 35 MPH.

DETAILED FORECAST DATA:

I'm just going to say this, NWS or not. Where are their data points to base off of? I do not believe the NWS has a high elevation weather station in the middle of VT. Without data to put into computer models, temp forecasts are a crap shoot. That is why I lean towards the mount Washington observatory high peaks forecast and adjust a bit for K's slightly reduced elevation and Latitude.

Just saying...