• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Grooming

catskills

The depth of the tiller is all adjustable. The deeper the cut the more fuel it costs to groom the mountain. Its all a matter of management, cost, and snow quality.

JimG.

Staff member
They should groom a lot less. I know Peaks understands that more ungroomed terrain is appealing because Wildcat this past week was tremendous (mostly because of great snowfall) in many ways because the trails were at most 50% groomed.

I skied Clair's at 3:15 yesterday and it was a sheet of flat boilerplate for the most part. I'm used to it but others on the trail looked scared.

MadMadWorld

They should groom a lot less. I know Peaks understands that more ungroomed terrain is appealing because Wildcat this past week was tremendous (mostly because of great snowfall) in many ways because the trails were at most 50% groomed.

I skied Clair's at 3:15 yesterday and it was a sheet of flat boilerplate for the most part. I'm used to it but others on the trail looked scared.
All depends on the audience. Peaks owns Crotched but they groom the crap out of everything. Wildcat and Attitash are a short ride from one another and they couldn't be treated more differently.

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app

catskillman

Anyone else feel like the grooming has been "sketchy" lately? Almost like the groomers are rushing thru the process. Lots of ruts, missed spots, ridges and that sort.

YES!!!!!!
it has been very "sketchy" in a lot of spots. One of the groomers blamed it on the type of snow they have been making this season, whatever that means.

But yes, the grooming is not what it used to be that is for sure. And if they want to groom less, leave some trails ungroomed, and do a professional and complete job on the others so the guests are not endangered.

jack97

All depends on the audience. Peaks owns Crotched but they groom the crap out of everything. Wildcat and Attitash are a short ride from one another and they couldn't be treated more differently.

Yep... totally different crowd, Attitash has slopeside rentals and hotels with nice extras. They advertise shopping close by. Went there recently, the place reminds me of a partial amusement park. Not saying its bad just saying its not for me.

f284fa13a19a2f5d31426fe4f401de05.jpg

Last edited:

Cornhead

It's like a DWI, but in a groomer.
Or at least GWAI. Check the groomer's resumes, see if Greek Peak is in their background. Greek's grooming has been better than it has in the past. Much appreciated on those foggy / flat light mornings.

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app

Acknowledged. And I agree.

Hunter is now considered a Pocono mountain located a bit further north. Appealing to the make everything flat crowd.

I've pretty much given up the fight because I would rather ski at Wildcat anyway and I can go to Belleayre in the Cats on my NYS 3 in 1 when I want good bumps.

I now go to Hunter when I want to refine my boilerplate skills. To put it another way, rarely.

Jimg, Rumot is Hunter is actually looking to leave more ungroomed terrain. We'll see how it goes, but Russ said it.

Domeskier, The Blueboy feud is over, I have actaully rode with him a few times.

goldsbar

I don't see any of this as a difference in ownership. The lack of bumps and occasional crappy grooming has been true for well over a decade. I'm not a regular, but I can't remember the last time I saw good bumps at Hunter. They used to let Purna bump up (great) and Claire's always had some irregular bumps. Lately, as in the last several years, they've been wind scoured boilerplate.

You have to give them some benefit of the doubt on grooming as it's a consistently steep mountain for the region, which makes it tough to keep a good surface past 10am. The front face has sun exposure and the backside has wind. Also on the plus side, the staff and crowd have certainly improved over the years.

JimG.

Staff member
Jimg, Rumot is Hunter is actually looking to leave more ungroomed terrain. We'll see how it goes, but Russ said it.

Fair enough. We shall see.

I was glad to see they finally made snow on and opened Lower K.

Shredder of Gnar

Fair enough. We shall see.

I was glad to see they finally made snow on and opened Lower K.

Lower K was off the charts Sunday! Huge soft bumps, great line on skier's right. After 18 laps, I barely had the energy to walk to my car :) As far as what "Russ said", I'll believe that when I see it -- seems like same BS every year though...

JimG.

Staff member
Lower K was off the charts Sunday! Huge soft bumps, great line on skier's right. After 18 laps, I barely had the energy to walk to my car :) As far as what "Russ said", I'll believe that when I see it -- seems like same BS every year though...

K at it's best...the day they drop the rope. I've been on Hunter's case but it was great on Sunday.

Amazing how many skiers flock to it when it opens. And the guns were back on Purna. If they would just do that and then leave it alone they would never hear from me.