• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will this be the theme in ski movies?

VTKilarney

Film producers and stars who fly all over the globe just to ski are lecturing me about the need to address climate change? Uh... right...

Let's be honest. If you are serious about combating global warming you can't be supportive of the ski industry. Snowmaking takes massive amounts of energy. Thousands upon thousands of people driving several hours each way every weekend for mere recreation pumps countless tons of CO2 into the air. Thousands upon thousands of people flying out west does just the same.

Bottom line: If you ski and you lecture someone about global warming you are a smug hypocrite.

dlague

Film producers and stars who fly all over the globe just to ski are lecturing me about the need to address climate change? Uh... right...

Let's be honest. If you are serious about combating global warming you can't be supportive of the ski industry. Snowmaking takes massive amounts of energy. Thousands upon thousands of people driving several hours each way every weekend for mere recreation pumps countless tons of CO2 into the air. Thousands upon thousands of people flying out west does just the same.

Bottom line: If you ski and you lecture someone about global warming you are a smug hypocrite.
You do have a good point IMO. I know there are people on both sides of this argument. I like watching ski movies and lately it seems this topic is front and center as part of the film. So much so that MSP's latest film is shot from desert scenes with glimpses of what it was like. I had to stop watching it. People can express their feelings and views but don't cram it down my throat. Are there choices we can make - absolutely and I think most are doing some thing in some shape or form.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

gladerider

That website is a joke.

enlighten me. what exactly is a joke? the government website?
what, you don't like the webpage design? what's that got to do with OP's point?

or are you suggesting the message contained in it? you don't like the whistleblower?

gladerider

You do have a good point IMO. I know there are people on both sides of this argument. I like watching ski movies and lately it seems this topic is front and center as part of the film. So much so that MSP's latest film is shot from desert scenes with glimpses of what it was like. I had to stop watching it. People can express their feelings and views but don't cram it down my throat. Are there choices we can make - absolutely and I think most are doing some thing in some shape or form.

i agree. wouldn't buy a ski movie to watch that crap. i can get other people's opinion from a lot of sources but wouldn't want it from my ski movie.
now i know what not to buy from the MSP line up.

Edd

or are you suggesting the message contained in it? you don't like the whistleblower?

Indeed, I noticed it's a government site. It appears to showcase the views of this guy:

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1490456296.541817.jpg

Lamar Smith, Christian Scientist from Texas, who appears to be a big fan of this guy:

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1490456373.492883.jpg

who is a fact free shitgibbon.

Criticize climate changers all day, but that's a propaganda website if I ever saw one.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1490456493.063975.jpg

dlague

i agree. wouldn't buy a ski movie to watch that crap. i can get other people's opinion from a lot of sources but wouldn't want it from my ski movie.
now i know what not to buy from the MSP line up.
This is the movie from Matchstick Productions called Ruin and Rose

https://youtu.be/I5eteKwALBA

I painfully watched for a while before wanting my $12 back.

gladerider

Indeed, I noticed it's a government site. It appears to showcase the views of this guy:

View attachment 22266

Lamar Smith, Christian Scientist from Texas, who appears to be a big fan of this guy:

View attachment 22267

who is a fact free shitgibbon.

Criticize climate changers all day, but that's a propaganda website if I ever saw one.

View attachment 22268

ehh, actually no.
think you misunderstood. that site is a news page of congressional sub-committee on Science & Tech. it is not his personal page. i am sure he is influential for being the chair, but no he doesn't control everything in that committee. also, i highly doubt he would pick and choose what gets posted there. in fact, the news on the page i referenced has been written up all over the news.

think i get where you are going with your comments and i neither agree or disagree. i'm not interested in political discussions.

Bumpsis

You seemed to have missed a glaring detail: the info on that web page has been produced or at least, was posted with the blessing of Lamar Smith who is either a complete idiot or perhaps a very smart fellow who figured out that he's in perfect position to collect some big money from the fossil fuel industry by being a climate change denier. Especially if you can chair the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology. Now, that's rich..
This is the same as having the Grand Inquisitor judging the work of Giordano Bruno or Galileo...

Edd

You seemed to have missed a glaring detail: the info on that web page has been produced or at least, was posted with the blessing of Lamar Smith who is either a complete idiot or perhaps a very smart fellow who figured out that he's in perfect position to collect some big money from the fossil fuel industry by being a climate change denier. Especially if you can chair the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology. Now, that's rich..
This is the same as having the Grand Inquisitor judging the work of Giordano Bruno or Galileo...

Precisely.

Bumpsis

I strongly disagree with your assessments. What you are essentially saying that raising alarms about anthropomorphic global warming is simply hypocritical because we all have a carbon footprint, especially snow sport enthusiasts. By that assumption, we should all just shut up and not raise the issue because we all use carbon emitting energy. I think that is just plain wrong. Being aware of our impact is crucial to being part of the solution.

You also assume that ski industry has to be by definition complicit because it's energy intensive and thus "dirty". That is also a wrong assumption. There is no reason why ski areas can't at least strive to reduce their C02 footprint.
Lastly, the film clip was definitely not preachy just because it has a pointed message.

gladerider

the info on that web page has been produced or at least, was posted with the blessing of Lamar Smith

? really

didn't realize our congressmen pick and choose what gets posted as news on websites when the same news is likely posted in millions of other sites. i guess i am naive.

whatever man.

VTKilarney

I strongly disagree with your assessments. What you are essentially saying that raising alarms about anthropomorphic global warming is simply hypocritical because we all have a carbon footprint, especially snow sport enthusiasts.
That's not at all what I am saying. Nice straw man argument, though.

What I am saying is that skiers have chosen as their form of recreation one of the most carbon intensive forms of recreation there is. Until you choose one of the hundreds of forms of recreation that is less carbon intensive, you have no right to lecture me about global warming. This is especially true if you are a film company that flies skiers all over the globe just to get that great shot.

Talk is cheap. This is especially true when you load up your SUV, drive three hours each way to your second home, and ski on a three foot base of manmade snow.

Bumpsis

This is especially true if you are a film company that flies skiers all over the globe just to get that great shot.

Yup, I do get your point and actually agree with you on the above. I did not really mean to misrepresent your views (straw man argument).