• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Easter Weekend - Where Are You Skiing/Riding?

Jcb890

ss20 covered it pretty well. I agree East Fall is a must, it's a solid black but it's short, though it feels long, just about the perfect pitch and softens up nicely.

Escapade and Downdraft are double blacks that will have good coverage and they only have a short steep section towards the bottom. Most of these trails would not be rated a double. These should not intimidate you much. Double Dipper you can see from the Canyon Quad, it barely qualifies as a double black also.

You should be able to ski just about the whole available terrain this weekend so just point your skis whichever direction you like. Only trails I'd recommend avoiding if you're looking to avoid true double blacks would be Outer Limits and Ovation.
Judging by their interactive trail map, I think Outer Limits and Ovation are closed currently. Cascade is open, I'm wondering if that's groomed... if so, I'll be hitting that 1st thing because I never seem to be able to get to Cascade when conditions are good.

East Fall is a great run. I don't think Escapade or Downdraft are currently open either. They're showing 78 open trails currently when I search Google, but the site shows only 59 on the trail report. Perhaps they'll open more tomorrow and Saturday? I know they've already said Ramshead Quad would open/run on Saturday.

Double Dipper looks closed as well. Bummer, as I was hoping to check out the glades near the top... maybe I still will if there's coverage...

bdfreetuna

Judging by their interactive trail map, I think Outer Limits and Ovation are closed currently. Cascade is open, I'm wondering if that's groomed... if so, I'll be hitting that 1st thing because I never seem to be able to get to Cascade when conditions are good.

East Fall is a great run. I don't think Escapade or Downdraft are currently open either. They're showing 78 open trails currently when I search Google, but the site shows only 59 on the trail report. Perhaps they'll open more tomorrow and Saturday? I know they've already said Ramshead Quad would open/run on Saturday.

Double Dipper looks closed as well. Bummer, as I was hoping to check out the glades near the top... maybe I still will if there's coverage...

huh I just refreshed their interactive map and you appear to be right. Weird it was showing a bunch more open just an hour ago.

Outer Limits should be open for the weekend though

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Ovation is toast. Double Dipper probably won't make it till Easter. Cascade looks solid, and according to the conditions report they're still grooming it so it must be relatively deep.
http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/webcam/golf.html

On the Bear cam Outer Limits looks alright. Ramshead is also reopening for the weekend.

Also on the report- no more natural trails open.

dlague

Ovation is toast. Double Dipper probably won't make it till Easter. Cascade looks solid, and according to the conditions report they're still grooming it so it must be relatively deep.

On the Bear cam Outer Limits looks alright. Ramshead is also reopening for the weekend.

In the past Cascade was one of the trails that lasted but the run out at the bottom often gets interesting - brown snow!

Jcb890

huh I just refreshed their interactive map and you appear to be right. Weird it was showing a bunch more open just an hour ago.

Outer Limits should be open for the weekend though
Yeah, it was different last night when I had looked also. Perhaps it is updated along with their Snow Report today, I'm not sure.

I don't think I've ever done Cascade in all of the times I have been to Killington. That'll be one of my first runs tomorrow or Saturday AM while its nice and groomed... looking forward to that!

I just got a message back from the Killington FB Messenger people - Cascade will most likely be groomed for Friday and Saturday. And "Ovation is less likely". I don't know if that means Ovation is less likely to be open or groomed. They also said to check back after 4:00 PM today for a more updated Snow Report with an outlook for the weekend.

WJenness

Looks like plenty of skiing at K this weekend:

Be sure to note that our lift operations plan is expanding to take advantage of longer days and plenty of late season snow. Key* lifts will stay open until 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays, starting this Saturday, April 15. With plenty of snow left on the slopes, we are also extending the operation of the Ramshead Express and Bear Mountain Quad lifts. Ramshead, which was scheduled to close last weekend will reopen April 15-16 (Ramshead Base Lodge remains closed for the season) and Bear Mountain Quad, which was scheduled to close after this weekend, will close midweek and reopen for a bonus weekend April 22-23, provided good trail connectivity remains between Bear Mountain and the Needles Eye/Northbrook area. Finally, from May 1 until the snow is gone, the Superstar Express Quad will operate Friday-Sunday plus Memorial Day (weather permitting) 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. weekdays and 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. weekends.

*This week, 5:00 p.m. lifts include: Snowshed Express, Superstar Express, Skyepeak Express, K-1 Gondola and Northbrook Quad. Lifts may close earlier due to inclement weather.

Jcb890

I always thought more mountains should do that with it staying light until almost 8PM this time of year.

I'm now seriously considering Killington Saturday since its possible to ride 8-5! What to do, what to do...

Domeskier

I always thought more mountains should do that with it staying light until almost 8PM this time of year.

I'm now seriously considering Killington Saturday since its possible to ride 8-5! What to do, what to do...

Go to K, buy a spring pass and ride until at least Memorial Day!

cdskier

Sugarbush stays open until 5PM this time of year...although they also open an hour later to make up for it (10AM weekdays, 9AM weekends)

Jcb890

Go to K, buy a spring pass and ride until at least Memorial Day!
We've got 2 left on our MAX for Killington and will definitely be using them. Just debating if I want to do Killington Friday or Saturday. But, it seems like more terrain may be available Saturday which would be nice.

Sugarbush stays open until 5PM this time of year...although they also open an hour later to make up for it (10AM weekdays, 9AM weekends)
I think Killington still opens at 9 on weekdays and 8 on weekends.

chuckstah

I'll be slumming at Mt Snow Saturday on a freebie, while many of you bail north. Looks like Burke on Easter to burn a voucher, if I can escape family, and Sunday River Monday. Skied Loon today. Mostly groomers as most bumps never softened, and the woods are getting thin. Snow and sleet above 1500 feet til about one, with a mix at the bottom. Good day.

SkiingInABlueDream

At some point in the spring season I think the morning hours become less relevant. Surfaces are either still frozen or not yet soft enough. I definitely think areas should shift hours. 10-6 or 7 (or 11-7 if it can only be 8 hrs total) would be ideal IMO.

chuckstah

Yep. It snowed. Wasnt expecting it. Corduroy deep in spots. These dirty worn down bumps were fun. Nat trails hanging on.
86f89c7aad431a0c9205ef0ea8b9cf82.jpg

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

At some point in the spring season I think the morning hours become less relevant. Surfaces are either still frozen or not yet soft enough. I definitely think areas should shift hours. 10-6 or 7 (or 11-7 if it can only be 8 hrs total) would be ideal IMO.

not to be disagreeable but I like getting out there early and skiing the frozen/shady snow and then have the 2nd half of the day on spring snow

I'm all for extending hours and starting at 9 though.

skimagic

We've got 2 left on our MAX for Killington and will definitely be using them. Just debating if I want to do Killington Friday or Saturday. But, it seems like more terrain may be available Saturday which would be nice.

I think Killington still opens at 9 on weekdays and 8 on weekends.

My buddy can't make Killington tomorrow
I got a 2 for 1, is it likely there will be walk-ups at $105 ?