• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Meanwhile, in Northern VT...

cdskier

48 snow totals-
Jay- 14"
Stowe- 11"
Sugarbush- 3"
Killington- 0"

Crazy disparity. Surprise powder day at Stowe and Jay.

It may be crazy, but not unusual. It really is fascinating how big of a difference there can be.

mikec142

There are definitely micro climates at work. Last season, in late march, I skied Stowe on Saturday and Sugarbush on Sunday after a weather event on Friday. Stowe had loads of powder, probably 10". Sugarbush had the same powder but with a thick layer of ice on top of it. AND, I've had it switched up where SB has much better conditions that Stowe.

slatham

There are definitely micro climates at work. Last season, in late march, I skied Stowe on Saturday and Sugarbush on Sunday after a weather event on Friday. Stowe had loads of powder, probably 10". Sugarbush had the same powder but with a thick layer of ice on top of it. AND, I've had it switched up where SB has much better conditions that Stowe.

I was at Stowe then - it was incredible after Stella and then that storm - 5' in a little over a week. I watched the rain/snow line and it stopped between the town of Stowe and the hill (we had a glaze at our place in town).

As far as the crazy discrepancy, its actually typical (though maybe magnified a bit in this case). And while "micro" climate can play a role, the big driver is a storm passing to the north of Vermont and the discrepancy largely due to proximity to the storm.

tnt1234

looks like my first days this season will be at Stowe or Jay Friday and Saturday.....Looking forward to it. Looks like full on winter up there. Hope to see some more terrain open up this week.

But the opposite definitely happens - three years ago, I was at Stratton while my buddy was at Stowe. X-mas week. Big snow came in and delivered 8-10" on the last night of our stay, turing an OK trip into a killer last day on the mountain. Meanwhile, Stowe, also struggling with the recent thaw/freeze got shut out. Not a single flake.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
looks like my first days this season will be at Stowe or Jay Friday and Saturday.....Looking forward to it. Looks like full on winter up there. Hope to see some more terrain open up this week.

But the opposite definitely happens - three years ago, I was at Stratton while my buddy was at Stowe. X-mas week. Big snow came in and delivered 8-10" on the last night of our stay, turing an OK trip into a killer last day on the mountain. Meanwhile, Stowe, also struggling with the recent thaw/freeze got shut out. Not a single flake.

That winter 3 years ago was so frustrating. We watched from northern VT as storm after storm dumped piles of snow on southern New England. Meanwhile it was sunny and cold here with barely a skif of snow at my stake.

bdfreetuna

If you go back a couple days and look at NAM 3k models looking forward, Jay was forecast for 18".

Real total = 14" follows the trend of NAM 3k slightly over predicting but still being a good indicator of who's going to get the snow.

tnt1234

If you go back a couple days and look at NAM 3k models looking forward, Jay was forecast for 18".

Real total = 14" follows the trend of NAM 3k slightly over predicting but still being a good indicator of who's going to get the snow.

And what, pray tell, does your NAM 3K say for this week and weekend?

(All snow, no whammies?????)

tnt1234

That winter 3 years ago was so frustrating. We watched from northern VT as storm after storm dumped piles of snow on southern New England. Meanwhile it was sunny and cold here with barely a skif of snow at my stake.

Yeah, that was the year. We had better tree skiing in the Catskills than in the NEK pretty much all season....

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Sure to the microclimate thing, but you could see this on the radar over the last 24 hours. The Smuggs Madonna cam looked the snowiest to me.

BenedictGomez

Yeah, that was the year. We had better tree skiing in the Catskills than in the NEK pretty much all season....

I don't remember this; at all.

There's never been a season to my knowledge where there was better tree skiing, at say.... Plattekill, than at say... Jay Peak.

tnt1234

I don't remember this; at all.

There's never been a season to my knowledge where there was better tree skiing, at say.... Plattekill, than at say... Jay Peak.

Well, that might be an exaggeration, but I remember that season, S.Vt, and the Catskills did really well, where as N.Vt kept getting skunked. I do remember getting one good day in the woods at Jay that season though.