• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pico 2/8/18

JimG.

Staff member
Figured it would be more crowded after the snow yesterday and it was like rush hour traffic on the K access road heading to the K1 as I left for Pico. Pico was packed too as I pulled in at about 9.

I have not skied Pico since my college days-I graduated in 1980. I'm not sure why I have not until today, but that will change. I forgot what a fun mountain Pico is. Well set up and easy to get around. No traversing to get places. Good vertical and plenty of steep terrain. Thanks to MAX pass for getting me back, gonna make sure I use the other 4 days I have left!

Started out skiing everything on the Summit Express Quad. Standouts were Upper Giant Killer, Upper KA, and all the trees in that area. Upper Pike was also pretty amazing due to the deep snow and nice little bumps, but that trail stood out for its' width. Too bad it was cut so wide, reminds me of 44 at Hunter but with snow.

Took Poma woods over to the top of the Golden Express and worked my way over to the Outpost double area. I loved that little pod! Great pitch on the trails over there and the trees like Doozie were awesome. It was here that I noticed how crowded it was Doozie was packed with skiers! Fortunately the top got really scraped off in that little gully at the entrance and skiers seemed discouraged so it was one and done for many. Pretty easy to just avoid that and enter off of Sidewinder.

At 1 I stopped for lunch and wondered how I was going to keep going after lunch, my legs were getting cooked. Figured I would go out for another hour and a half and quit at 3. Repeated a few runs off of the Summit Express and then discovered the Little Pico triple. Took a few runs on A slope wow what a fun trail! Very Steep and the short vert over there was perfect for my screaming legs. Then hit B slope which still had untouched snow on the edges.

And then it was 4pm. Between K and Pico the best 2 days of my season so far. Sorry only 2 pics I was so busy skiing, exploring and having a great day.

pico2.jpg
pico1.jpg

Had to post the goofy grin pic!

Cornhead

Thanks for the TR, been awhile since I've skied Pico too. Hopefully Greek Peak won't be too much of a let down tomorrow. At least conditions should be good in the AM. Heading up there soon, 2-4" predicted today.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
Thanks for the TR, been awhile since I've skied Pico too. Hopefully Greek Peak won't be too much of a let down tomorrow. At least conditions should be good in the AM. Heading up there soon, 2-4" predicted today.

I'm stoked! Not sure I want to be near K or Pico tomorrow.