• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

nhskier1969

If anyone is out there today, a report would be much appreciated. Remaining hopeful.

What a turn around a day makes. Skiing was fantastic today. Ripcord was in great shape, lower organ grinder and death spout is back to downspout. Mountain skied good. Should be a good weekend.

cdskier

What a turn around a day makes. Skiing was fantastic today. Ripcord was in great shape, lower organ grinder and death spout is back to downspout. Mountain skied good. Should be a good weekend.

Good to hear. Everything sure looks nice covered in white again. Love driving through the Granville gulf after a fresh snowfall. Such a beautiful scenic section of rt 100 even at night. Can't wait to get out in the morning!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ducky

Most of the Out to Lunch trail is owned by the home owners on that trail - the property's boundaries extend to the stream, I know as I owned one. SB only has an access right-of-way over the trail. Most home owners would welcome snowmaking to keep the trail open but some may not like the big dig required (in and around their sewer and water systems) to add pipes and infrastructure. Surely there are better trails to add snowmaking to, say Domino, Spills, Twist, Moonshine, etc.

One the skating rink, the MRV needs as many successful small businesses as possible both to enrichen the community and to strengthen the Chamber of Commerce. A rising tide floats all boats. Check out the MRVCC at madrivervalley.com and see what we have to offer or read the excellent MRV Four-Season Guide. The MRV businesses really need those "50,000 visitors a year who never leave the Access Rd" to come to town and explore, shop, and recreate. There is a lot to see and do here and summer/fall is even better than winter...and we moved here because we love winter, so hard for me to say that, but true.

Last edited:

teleo

Why would u want to ruin all those trails with snowmaking? Please no. Now heavens gate traverse to ease deathspout would be nice.

cdskier

Why would u want to ruin all those trails with snowmaking? Please no. Now heavens gate traverse to ease deathspout would be nice.

Agreed! I do agree with ducky on the other part of his comments on the mrv though. That part was well said.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ducky

Actually agree and appreciate the natural trails, just pointing out areas more used that OTL. There was a day when snowmaking was done on Exterminator and the hoses pulled through to hit the face of Bravo. Now it's just Rim Run, Looking Good and Elbow higher up at North.

Any insight into 18" coming our way this Thursday?

Last edited:

GregoryIsaacs

Headed up this weekend. First time in a couple years but anyone have some insight on how the base is looking for the trees/natty's? Think 6-8 would do anything or are we talking exposed bedrock?

nhskier1969

Headed up this weekend. First time in a couple years but anyone have some insight on how the base is looking for the trees/natty's? Think 6-8 would do anything or are we talking exposed bedrock?

Possible for anything above 2500'

Hawk

Headed up this weekend. First time in a couple years but anyone have some insight on how the base is looking for the trees/natty's? Think 6-8 would do anything or are we talking exposed bedrock?[/QUOTE
Except for the very top of the mountain, there is no snow off of the snow making trails. They are pretty much starting from scratch for the natural snow trails and woods.

Hawk

I think a small non-cooled rink above the shark is doable and would have little to no impact on the skatium. But to put in a good size rink with boards, a warming hut to put your skates on, cooling pipes under the ice and a cooling tower to keep the ice frozen and a Zamboni would be more like the $500K and cost prohibitive. I skate a good amount still and like the idea but I would rather they upgrade the shark. The Skatium is fine for what it is. What I do not understand it why the golf course does not have groomed cross country trails. Unless it is seen as bad for Ole's and Blueberry Lake? The other thing they could do is a tubing park?

Living near the village I can see the interest in upgrading the one trail over there. I met some folks over there that are like the village improvement society. They have pushed for improvements but the mountain has only a small interest in these upgrades as they no longer have an interest in the real-estate. I think the only thing that will be implemented is the completion of that lighted walkway once the development is completed what shows on the master plan.

cdskier

Except for the very top of the mountain, there is no snow off of the snow making trails. They are pretty much starting from scratch for the natural snow trails and woods.

It surprised me how many people were skiing lower elevation woods this weekend. There's no way that can be good for the base of your skis. I don't even see how that is enjoyable with a couple inches on top of virtually nothing. One person skis a line and you're down to scraping up dirt.

phin

There were way too many tracks coming out of the woods onto lower birdland given the conditions..

Folks are thirsty.. yikes.

GregoryIsaacs

There were way too many tracks coming out of the woods onto lower birdland given the conditions..

Folks are thirsty.. yikes.

Yeah sounds like some classic sugarbush hardos. Cant wait to see them sprinting to the first lift on sat am......

nhskier1969

It surprised me how many people were skiing lower elevation woods this weekend. There's no way that can be good for the base of your skis. I don't even see how that is enjoyable with a couple inches on top of virtually nothing. One person skis a line and you're down to scraping up dirt.

I saw a snowboarder Friday walking out of the woods on top of Coffee Run.

rtjcbrown

Question for Win: As Hawk mentioned, is there any consideration for a tubing park? My wife and kids would be a lot more agreeable to more frequent trips to MRV if you had a tubing hill. Seems like a minimal investment that could utilize existing snowmaking, and you could probably just move Tommy's Toy to serve as the tow.

tumbler

Question for Win: As Hawk mentioned, is there any consideration for a tubing park? My wife and kids would be a lot more agreeable to more frequent trips to MRV if you had a tubing hill. Seems like a minimal investment that could utilize existing snowmaking, and you could probably just move Tommy's Toy to serve as the tow.

Aaah the memories of when we would cut tubing lanes in the base area at South at the end of the day for tubing. What a sh*t show that was. Tubing is not needed, every mountain has a vibe and Bush's is fine without tubing, a rink, or a petting zoo. The Sharc could use a lot of love but not a water park. You come to the Valley to ski not do a slip and slide.

tumbler

Yeah sounds like some classic sugarbush hardos. Cant wait to see them sprinting to the first lift on sat am......

They were not hardos, they probably came on a bus judging by the skill and equipment of the few I saw "shredding" it. Hardos know that 4" on dirt is not enough to open the woods and lower birdland.

Hawk

Aaah the memories of when we would cut tubing lanes in the base area at South at the end of the day for tubing. What a sh*t show that was. Tubing is not needed, every mountain has a vibe and Bush's is fine without tubing, a rink, or a petting zoo. The Sharc could use a lot of love but not a water park. You come to the Valley to ski not do a slip and slide.

Ya, you and I come to ski. But my sister in law, cousins, nieces and nephews and friends would like more. Hey, if they can go do things without me, then I don't have to listen to them whine when I blow them off. ;-)