• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

COVID concerns in the Northeast

1dog

Yes they do, they get to beg the federal government for money. However they don't realize that they've crippled the federal governments revenue stream at the same time that they put their economies in the crapper. What's that saying about killing the goose that laid the golden egg?

The Bank of Mom and Dad don't have the money either...
Sure they do. Its called MMT - and heck since it can print all the money it could ever desire, those who actually support this nonsense ( in the true meaning of that word) should not require any tax revenue of any kind. Simply run the printing press. Its worked so well for all the empires who did it previous to the US.

Keep thumbs on small businesses - generally independent people - let multinationals take the business away - and you have ( mostly) subservient populace. Globalism on steroids. $600K to 'save money instead of utilizing those solar-powered signs' is an oxymoron. Once paid for, ostensibly they are supposed to be 'free'.

mister moose

states have nothing to gain by crippling their economies and shrinking their tax revenue. It’s a dumb fucking conspiracy theory.
Yet they do it anyway. Connecticut has been doing it for decades. The CT wealthy with houses in Florida now keep logbooks to prove they are out of CT 185 days a year. They keep their house and move their residency to a tax friendly state. Loss of tax revenue has been huge. Same thing for corporations, either the headquarters goes or the whole company goes. Expansion always occurs out of state. The unfunded liabilities are coming due, and smart companies don't want to be here when the tax man comes calling. Moving companies a while back quoted 7 trucks leaving for every truck arriving. Doubt it's changed much. In an era of expanding US population, CT LOST a congressional seat. COVID migration has helped with NYC dwellers fleeing, but that's mostly Fairfield and Litchfield counties. A few years ago, Governor Malloy made the amazing pronouncement that he had to borrow in the billions to "balance" the budget (It's not balanced if you run a deficit, duh) and then when he didn't spend all of the loan, he declared a budget surplus!!!

So yes, some states do cripple their own economies. Cities do as well. I've had a front row seat to both.

BenedictGomez

^ And this is one of the (several) reasons I was buying everyone's ExxonMobil stock when they were recently panic selling & plummeting it.

The phrase, "Not worth a Continental" hasnt been used in America in several hundred years, but it may be time to bring it back soon.

gittist

Has Vermont reduced the quarantine to 10-days yet?
Reply from Vermont Health Department on 12/22/2020 to my inquiry:

Thank you for contacting the Health Department with your inquiry. The CDC has released new options to shorten quarantine and has allowed state and local public health authorities to determine and establish the quarantine option for their jurisdictions. At this time, there are no plans to change Vermont's existing policy, which calls for a 14-day quarantine, or gives the option to get a PCT test on day 7 or later to end quarantine early with a negative test, as long as the person continues to have no symptoms. The policy implemented in May is well-understood by Vermonters and our data shows it has worked to prevent further spread of COVID-19.

We will continue to review our guidance regularly to make sure we are using best practices based on data and science throughout the pandemic. Please visit our website for updates to the guidance: https://www.healthvermont.gov/covid-19.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Anyone know how they are monitoring things at the airport in Portland? Gotta buddy from DC looking to fly up to ski Saddleback. His work schedule won't allow for him to meet the states Covid quarantine guidelines.

I know plenty of people from Southern New England are driving up to ski. Just curious if those flying in are getting hassles

ScottySkis

From snowy ridge in lake effect Turin NY

As we continue pushing out piles and prepping for the season, we have some unfortunate news to share.
We’re sorry to say that we will be pushing our opening day plans back until at least after Christmas. We have identified a potential Covid exposure through our daily employee health screenings and are currently working through our contact tracing and testing protocol. This is certainly not the way that we wanted to start our season, but we are very happy to see that our safety procedures are working and that we were able to catch this incident before we opened to the public. We will keep everyone posted with our new opening plans and will get the lifts spinning as soon as it is safe to do so.
We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding in these very unsettling times. We wish everyone a happy and safe holiday and look forward to getting out on the slopes with everyone soon! #snowridge2021 #openingday #safetyfirst #wellbeshreddingsoon

Last edited:

Dickc

Anyone know how they are monitoring things at the airport in Portland? Gotta buddy from DC looking to fly up to ski Saddleback. His work schedule won't allow for him to meet the states Covid quarantine guidelines.

I know plenty of people from Southern New England are driving up to ski. Just curious if those flying in are getting hassles
Is portland easier than somewhere like Bangor? I would think Bangor might just be a little closer?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Is portland easier than somewhere like Bangor? I would think Bangor might just be a little closer?
He already booked his flight to Portland. Was direct from DC and cheap. Bangor is probably only about 45 minutes closer

Dickc

He already booked his flight to Portland. Was direct from DC and cheap. Bangor is probably only about 45 minutes closer
Just called my daughter, who lives in Maine and works at a ski resort, and she has not heard any horror stories filtering down about flier to Portland, However, bookings are starting to cancel for Christmas week as people are telling them their employer will not allow them to travel without coming home and Quarantining and that is discouraging some who had booked. Might be a less crowded Christmas week than people are expecting. Time will tell.

downdraft

Rapid result (1 hour) PCR tests are available at the airport in Portland for $25. Maine allows a negative test as an alternative to quarantine. Advance appointments are required. I don't know if arriving passengers get priority for available time slots.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Just called my daughter, who lives in Maine and works at a ski resort, and she has not heard any horror stories filtering down about flier to Portland, However, bookings are starting to cancel for Christmas week as people are telling them their employer will not allow them to travel without coming home and Quarantining and that is discouraging some who had booked. Might be a less crowded Christmas week than people are expecting. Time will tell.
OR it's the weather forecast.............

parahelia

Rapid result (1 hour) PCR tests are available at the airport in Portland for $25. Maine allows a negative test as an alternative to quarantine. Advance appointments are required. I don't know if arriving passengers get priority for available time slots.
I’ve been wondering about these tests at the Portland airport. The FAQ indicates that they are the Abbott ID Now test. I tried to wade through the list of FDA EUA approved tests (linked from MA’s travel order) and it sounds like this is not a pcr test.

I would love to be wrong on this! It’s easy enough to get tested in MA before going to ME, but I haven’t figured out testing in ME on a reasonable timeframe. The kids have in person school M/Tu so ski trips get cut short to test in MA with results back prior to school on Monday.

First world problems, I know.

da-bum

I’ve been wondering about these tests at the Portland airport. The FAQ indicates that they are the Abbott ID Now test. I tried to wade through the list of FDA EUA approved tests (linked from MA’s travel order) and it sounds like this is not a pcr test.

I would love to be wrong on this! It’s easy enough to get tested in MA before going to ME, but I haven’t figured out testing in ME on a reasonable timeframe. The kids have in person school M/Tu so ski trips get cut short to test in MA with results back prior to school on Monday.

First world problems, I know.
Abbott ID Now is a rapid Molecular test that tests for the viral genetic material. It differs from true PCR test in the way the samples are amplified. The 'Molecular' method is the important part since other rapid test checks for the antigen protein of the virus.

I flew to a country that required rapid test with 98% sensitivity within 66hrs of my departure. To get that kind of sensitivity, a true PCR test was the only way, a more technical term for that is 'Molecular', thus they accepted my test result. Their specification were probably to weed out all antigen tests since none of them come close to 98% sensitivity.

Anyway, $25 seems to be pretty cheap for the Abbott ID Now test, the testing site billed my insurance $200 for it.

Last edited:

downdraft

Agreed, I had been told that the rapid test at the airport is PCR, but it is molecular, which I believe is the key, distinguishing it from antigen testing. The Mass. DPH site "guidance for travelers" - https://www.mass.gov/guidance/guidance-for-travelers-arriving-in-the-commonwealth-of-massachusetts - links to FDA EUA approved molecular tests. The Abott IDNow test is on that list. All of this could have been presented to the public in a much clearer and more straightforward manner.
FWIW, it seems that for a weekend round trip from MA to ME and back, a single rapid test at the airport upon arrival in Maine could be construed to satisfy the 72 hour rule for entering both states.

drjeff

Agreed, I had been told that the rapid test at the airport is PCR, but it is molecular, which I believe is the key, distinguishing it from antigen testing. The Mass. DPH site "guidance for travelers" - https://www.mass.gov/guidance/guidance-for-travelers-arriving-in-the-commonwealth-of-massachusetts - links to FDA EUA approved molecular tests. The Abott IDNow test is on that list. All of this could have been presented to the public in a much clearer and more straightforward manner.
FWIW, it seems that for a weekend round trip from MA to ME and back, a single rapid test at the airport upon arrival in Maine could be construed to satisfy the 72 hour rule for entering both states.
On some level it feels like the last thing our elected officials overseeing policy decisions with respect to COVID want is for something to be clear and easy to understand. That seems to imply that people could then seemingly carry on in a bit more of a normal, albeit still cautious, way. That certainly feels like the last thing our elected officials want at times right now.

The problem for our elected officials seems to be that private businesses off numerous types are developing and figuring out ways to either solve the issues infront of us right now or work around, and within, the numerous regulatory guidelines that the elected officials put out there, in a way that often has our elected officials having to impose even stricter regulations.

This has become almost as much about political power over the people as it is about public health in many instances. And that is a sad thing

1dog

'This has become almost as much about political power over the people as it is about public health in many instances. And that is a sad thing'

Agree 99% - just remove 'almost'.
'the first thing a man will do for his ideals is lie.' Joseph Schumpter

parahelia

I had been looking at the same thing, which is what got me confused. I understand that it's not an antigen test, but the FDA EUA approved molecular test lists each test's attributes. Many have the attribute of "Real-time RT-PCR", but the Abbott ID Now test's attributes are "RT, isothermal amplification". MA requires a "FDA EUA-approved molecular (PCR) test", but it's hard to know if that means everything on the FDA list is OK, or only those that explicitly say PCR.

Totally agree that this should have been much better presented. I'm a scientist (albeit in a different field) and I'm finding this confusing, dammit! They should make it easier for people to follow the rules.

If it does qualify, great point about it making weekend trips possible again - I hadn't even considered that :unsure:.