• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

Teleskier

Just as an FYI, wildcat/crotch/attitash/sunapee have been loading two singles on a quad all year. Today there were new signs that per updated guidance, guests are only permitted to ride with members of their own household or something to that accord. I will take a picture tomorrow. It was enforced, I tried to load yankee with another single and was told that it is no longer allowed.

To me it is far safer to be on the opposite end of a moving high speed quad than in a mass of people waiting for a lift but I will of course play by the rules.
That's great news. It was not the case at my first (and only so far) day at Sunapee. The overwhelmed and untrained staff didn't handle COVID precautions well at all under the crush of (seemingly) unexpected skiers on a powder day. Sounds like they are catching on with better operating rules by your observations. Maybe there's hope I can leave the mountain feeling good about the day, versus involuntary mind tallying what were the many risk incursions I faced during the day and "was it worth it?"

LonghornSkier

That's great news. It was not the case at my first (and only so far) day at Sunapee. The overwhelmed and untrained staff didn't handle COVID precautions well at all under the crush of (seemingly) unexpected skiers on a powder day. Sounds like they are catching on with better operating rules by your observations. Maybe there's hope I can leave the mountain feeling good about the day, versus involuntary mind tallying what were the many risk incursions I faced during the day and "was it worth it?"
Sitting five feet apart from each other in an open air, breezy environ for five minutes isn’t a “risk incursion.”

thebigo

I am a software engineer, not an epidemiologist, but I wear the same mask on the chair that I wear to market basket. I cannot believe that I am more at risk on a high speed quad than waiting in line to check out my groceries.

abc

I am a software engineer, not an epidemiologist, but I wear the same mask on the chair that I wear to market basket. I cannot believe that I am more at risk on a high speed quad than waiting in line to check out my groceries.
How long is your wait in the grocery checkout line? And how often do you go grocery shopping?

Outdoor, in general, are much less riskier than indoors. But it's not zero risk. So it's a matter of how much you want to push the "low risk". Do it frequent and long enough, it'll match the risk of a rare visit to the supermarket.

kingslug

SB definately is very different from Stowe as far as natural trails..But Stowe has become more conservative..im trying to remember from last season. Many local were complaining about it. I had nothing to compare as we had only been going there 2 years..No idea what is going on there now..
I like what Gore is doing though..very good operation.

kendo

Yes, but don't forget that SB has also been very lenient on opening their natural terrain for a long time while I feel like I remember Stowe being more conservative even pre-Vail. It would be interesting to compare open snow-making terrain between the two resorts. SB really only has a handful of routes left...which is pretty impressive considering their snow-making capacity isn't that great and the weather has been crappy. I feel like with just a quick look it seems like Stowe is further behind, but I'm not familiar enough with what trails have snow-making and would usually be done by now, etc. If I remember correctly, Stowe's snow-making capacity (in GPM) is higher than SB after the upgrade they did several years ago. If they're behind SB in snow-making, that's definitely saying a lot.
Stowe definitely further behind this year. Stowe - Sugarbush quick comparison:

Trails open:

Today 1/10/21
Stowe 47/127 37%
SB 99/111 90%

Last year 1/4/20
Stowe 81/127 63%
SB 105/111 95%

Snowmaking coverage:
Stowe 83%
SB 70%

Stowe was slow to open Nosedive and Gondolier last year and ultra conservative with opening/closing natural trails the past couple years. Today there are "3" trails open off the Gondola - actually just Perry Merrill TTB. Report says Gondolier getting TTB snowmaking now.

nhskier1969

How long is your wait in the grocery checkout line? And how often do you go grocery shopping?

Outdoor, in general, are much less riskier than indoors. But it's not zero risk. So it's a matter of how much you want to push the "low risk". Do it frequent and long enough, it'll match the risk of a rare visit to the supermarket.
I have seen lines at Market basket 10 carts deep. When you are shopping Market Basket you are bumper to bumper with other carts also everyone is touching everything in site. Groceries stores are as dirty as old pay phones. I think you are much safer on a chairlift outdoors.

kingslug

Or we just change mountains..SB is 45 minutes away...
Will decide next season once this is hopefully over..
One could compare stowe to hunter and gore to Sb
Hunter one main lift..stowe the same( yea they have the gondi..)
SB several lifts spread out..gore the same
And im liking gore a lot this season..

Smellytele

Or we just change mountains..SB is 45 minutes away...
Will decide next season once this is hopefully over..
One could compare stowe to hunter and gore to Sb
Hunter one main lift..stowe the same( yea they have the gondi..)
SB several lifts spread out..gore the same
And im liking gore a lot this season..
One could compare stowe to hunter 😲

Mainer

No guns running at wildcat today. 20’s when I got there and left. 2 runs open. They really just don’t care

• Angry
Reactions: Edd

thebigo

No guns running at wildcat today. 20’s when I got there and left. 2 runs open. They really just don’t care
They haven't started upper catapult? Damn, that is disappointing. Did cat track look deep enough to push out?

Cobbold

They haven't started upper catapult? Damn, that is disappointing. Did cat track look deep enough to push out?
Mt snow was fantastic today, running some guns today, which I saw as I drove up, unless it was wind blowing snow, ? stayed on the frontside, no guns running on the two trails I skied though, not a big Sunday crowd which surprised me

deadheadskier

Staff member
Still think we will see all snowmaking terrain by MLK? 😉

I can't believe they still only offered two ttb trails plus beginner area today. Pathetic

thebigo

Still think we will see all snowmaking terrain by MLK? 😉

I can't believe they still only offered two ttb trails plus beginner area today. Pathetic
Guess I was wrong about that one. There is absolutely no excuse for wildcat to not be blowing today. If there was a mechanical issue, they should post it on their website.

Attitash was blowing today in very marginal temperatures, think my car said 36f. They got the cubs cut route open. The trail from the top of the abenaki was groomed with no way to ski it. Tripod guns going on upper Kachina and falls, tower guns on lower Kachina, fan guns on thads. I was at bear all day but also heard they were pushing out lower saco to tie that side in.

Doesnt make sense that attitash is putting in the effort with nothing at wildcat. Hey vail, how about some communication?20210110_110450.jpg20210110_103409.jpg20210110_131058.jpg