• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

machski

I suspect that this scenario, older generation HS lifts that were initially installed in the late 80's/90's, and now have 30+ years of service on them, is going to become more common, with the challenge to the industry of looking at a significant infrastructure expenditure. Just thinking about Killington/Pico, the reality that Skyeship, Needles, Snowshed, Ramshead, Superstar and both Quads at Pico are all in that vintage. You're looking at likely well over 50 million to replace those lifts when its time, and it seems on the surface that the time is drawing closer and closer.

And Killington certainly isn't alone with situations like this
I think it's becoming a manufactuer issue. Dopp is still fully supporting ITS detach systems and doing complete refurbs (ITS is capitalized because while they service Garraventa/CTEC era detaches, they aren't doing the complete refurb/rebuilds of those) but to my knowledge, L-P is not into that business. Also, unlike Dopp and their UNI-G line which relatively hasn't changed much and still in production, L-P's grip design has morphed quite a bit from the original desins found on older Poma Detaches (All except Snowdon 6 and Skyepeak Express fall into that category one way or another). Being that Needles is an original Poma detach design and parts aren't available speaks to this.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I think it is important to note, however, that the lifespan of a modern detachable is relatively unknown still. Many of those early hsq's installed were done so in critical areas of the mountain... they're still in critical places today so they get replaced before problems have a chance to arise. Like the Forerunner quad or the main lift at Hunter. I am curious how long some of these non-critical detatchables last. Notably to my mind being Needle's at K and the Grand Summit at Mount Snow. I would think they're left alone for many more years

letitsnow1

It Really disappointing they can't get needles running. It's my favorite part of the mountain to ski and it's difficult without that lift. I dislike gondolas in general but especially skyship, it breaks down frequently and when it is running most cabins come up full from rt 4

Zand

I think it is important to note, however, that the lifespan of a modern detachable is relatively unknown still. Many of those early hsq's installed were done so in critical areas of the mountain... they're still in critical places today so they get replaced before problems have a chance to arise. Like the Forerunner quad or the main lift at Hunter. I am curious how long some of these non-critical detatchables last. Notably to my mind being Needle's at K and the Grand Summit at Mount Snow. I would think they're left alone for many more years
Not sure I'd consider Needles non critical at this point considering the alternative is a POS Gondola that has just as much downtime. At least Grand Summit has a relatively new neighbor.

MidnightJester

Trying to put together a multi mountain weekend and considering Killington this weekend for one of the days,
So Killington seems to have weathered most of the swings of weather in stride. Rocking 135/155 trails open. Considering and hoping for the best on Saturday. Crowds unfortunately and hopefully minimal ice and scraping around.
This weekend they are throwing a free party and giveaways on the Mountain by Suburu "Winterfest" with "YONDER MOUNTAIN STRING BAND" as the main free headliner on Saturday.

skiur

Well it took a while but not as long as magic!

Thanks to our amazing lift maintenance team and partners at Leitner Poma, the Needles Eye Express is expected to be up and running tomorrow! It’s been a long time without this key lift, so we thank you for your patience while we’ve been waiting on parts, making repairs and testing. Now that the lift is back in business, the flow of skiers and riders across the mountain will be greatly improved and the fantastic terrain on Skye Peak will be more easily accessible

skiur

Well it took a while but not as long as magic!

Thanks to our amazing lift maintenance team and partners at Leitner Poma, the Needles Eye Express is expected to be up and running tomorrow! It’s been a long time without this key lift, so we thank you for your patience while we’ve been waiting on parts, making repairs and testing. Now that the lift is back in business, the flow of skiers and riders across the mountain will be greatly improved and the fantastic terrain on Skye Peak will be more easily accessible

And now it's on wind hold!!!! U really can't make this sh*t up!!!

skiur

Can't really blame them for Mother nature things. Especially given how many areas are dealing with wind holds this morning

Calm down, it was a joke made about the irony of the situation.

letitsnow1

It was a good weekend at killington, ikon blackouts kept the crowds down. Plenty of fresh snow on a rock solid base.they were making snow on superstar with whales taller than the lift. Great skiing under the guns on superstar and outerlimits

thetrailboss

Staff member
It was a good weekend at killington, ikon blackouts kept the crowds down. Plenty of fresh snow on a rock solid base.they were making snow on superstar with whales taller than the lift. Great skiing under the guns on superstar and outerlimits
It is amazing how those blackout dates, on what used to be insane holidays, are actually making things so much quieter. It was nice today at Alta.

Great Bear

It is amazing how those blackout dates, on what used to be insane holidays, are actually making things so much quieter. It was nice today at Alta.
It is - and often the Saturday after a holiday weekend is now busier than the holiday weekend itself.

ColdRain&Snow

I’m doing a weekend at killington with some family, 3/1-3/4, staying near rt 4/kill road intersection.

Looking for nearby restaurants taking reservations, my quick check yielded zero, wondering if anyone has any places they’d recommend?

ColdRain&Snow

Are you looking access road? or beyond?

Not sure what’s off the access road, I just checked we’re at the greenbrier, it looks like the weather shouldn’t be an issue so driving a little won’t be a big deal. It’s 8 people, I expect 2 to back out so likely 6.

Great Bear

I’m doing a weekend at killington with some family, 3/1-3/4, staying near rt 4/kill road intersection.

Looking for nearby restaurants taking reservations, my quick check yielded zero, wondering if anyone has any places they’d recommend?
I'm not sure if any of the access road restaurants take reservations. Maybe Prestons? Or the hibachi tables at Sushi Yoshi?

mister moose

Closest up the access road is Rivershed, tavern fare. Go up to Rte 4 to the top of the pass for Irish bar/pub at Inn At Long Trail. Not that far to Rutland for less busy - Roots, West Side Grill, Table 24, Country Gentleman (German), Hop'N'Moose (Pizza Brew pub). Some of those in Rutland will take reservations. A good dozen to choose from on the access road.

BodeMiller1

I'm not sure if any of the access road restaurants take reservations. Maybe Prestons? Or the hibachi tables at Sushi Yoshi?
Second Shushi Yoshi, one of the best places on the hill and great beer selection. Lots of people from the mountain that are fun to talk to.
One of the coolest ski bars in the East.

skiur

Second Shushi Yoshi, one of the best places on the hill and great beer selection. Lots of people from the mountain that are fun to talk to.
One of the coolest ski bars in the East.

Only good Chinese food I've ever had in Vermont.

mister moose

Sitting at Sushi Yoshi as I read this. Note the Hill Farmstead Edward, Fiddlehead Mastermind, Sam Smith Chocolate Stout. At this bar Sip of Sunshine is an also ran. Not sure it's the 'coolest' , but it is the best beer tapline for 50 miles, and quite possibly in your home town as well.
20240222_164429.jpg

Last edited: