• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Home heating discussion (split from a ski question thread)

wa-loaf

I've been happy with my purchases that way(Sultan 85's)

I just ordered 100 gallons this morning, $3.85:sad:

That's a good price I just paid $4 :puke: I need to shop around more and also find someone who will deliver less than 150 gallons. With this weather that will last me until Christmas.

o3jeff

That's a good price I just paid $4 :puke: I need to shop around more and also find someone who will deliver less than 150 gallons. With this weather that will last me until Christmas.

Thats usually high, but if I buy whoever has the cheapest, it usually clogs my filter and it sucks cleaning it. If I ordered 150 gallons it was $3.82(big savings)

wa-loaf

Thats usually high, but if I buy whoever has the cheapest, it usually clogs my filter and it sucks cleaning it. If I ordered 150 gallons it was $3.82(big savings)

I'm going to try and buy in advance next winter. In a super cold winter I'd probably only burn 400 gallons. I'm only at about 200 gallons for this season so far.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm going to try and buy in advance next winter. In a super cold winter I'd probably only burn 400 gallons. I'm only at about 200 gallons for this season so far.

If you don't mind me asking, how big is your house? Most of the houses that we're looking at have oil heat. We have gas heat where we are now, so we're trying to estimate what our heating bills will be like...

wa-loaf

If you don't mind me asking, how big is your house? Most of the houses that we're looking at have oil heat. We have gas heat where we are now, so we're trying to estimate what our heating bills will be like...

1400sqf +/- and it's pretty well insulated. Had Mass Save come in and check it out when I bought it. Did a little sealing and added insulation to the attic.

wa-loaf

1400sqf +/- and it's pretty well insulated. Had Mass Save come in and check it out when I bought it. Did a little sealing and added insulation to the attic.

And I have forced hot air. I would prefer a Hot Water system because the dust level is high with hot air, but it does allow me to have central air for the summer.

mlctvt

Several people I work with use this company.

http://www.dollarwiseoil.com/index.asp

They contract with local oil companies. In our area Valley Oil is the company that delivers.
Prices are fantastic $3.69 for my area today. The only reason I haven't signed up with them is I have a contract with another company for this year.

mlctvt

Here's a couple for comparison.

We have 2600 sq ft, cape style house with addition off the back. It's pretty well insulated since we did an extensive renovation about 12 years ago. We use between 610- 625 gallons per year.

My father used to own a 1700 sq ft ranch house, built in the 1950s but the attic was insulted well. He used 700-725 gallons per year.

We both used set back thermostats so the heat was 60 or so at night or when we aren't home and about 67 when home.

bvibert

Staff member

And I have forced hot air. I would prefer a Hot Water system because the dust level is high with hot air, but it does allow me to have central air for the summer.

Here's a couple for comparison.

We have 2600 sq ft, cape style house with addition off the back. It's pretty well insulated since we did an extensive renovation about 12 years ago. We use between 610- 625 gallons per year.

My father used to own a 1700 sq ft ranch house, built in the 1950s but the attic was insulted well. He used 700-725 gallons per year.

We both used set back thermostats so the heat was 60 or so at night or when we aren't home and about 67 when home.

Thanks guys. Not looking forward to dealing with oil heat, we got spoiled by the natural gas.

wa-loaf

It does suck, thats why I went to a pellet stove.

Can you change the title of this thread to "Atomic Theory Questions and Home Heating"

Or maybe we can just split the home heating stuff out into it's own thread? :dontknow:

wa-loaf

Mine's a 50's ranch too. And those are pretty much the same temps I keep the heat at.

wa-loaf

Another thing that is important is a well ventilated attic. Helps with heat/cooling the house and also prevents the melting and ice damns everyone had trouble with last winter.

WakeboardMom

Yowsa. 3200 sq. ft., three zones that are almost always set at 62 (we're at work from Mon - Friday and never there on weekends.) and I just called for my third fill of the winter. $3.65 a gallon from Haffner's...they serve 20 towns in MA and NH.

This is one of the reasons why I signed with a realtor this week. There's a nice house in Southern NH now on the market. A cute little condo is calling my name.

vdk03

def need to get either a wood or pellet stove. crazy to still be burning oil. at least get a ventless propane stove.

wa-loaf

If there was gas on my street I'd switch. It'd be about 5k for a new furnace.