• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing - Weight Gain or Loss - Season Long

Rambo

I gain weight every ski season. Usually 10 to 25 lbs. This season, I skied 28 times and gained a good 20 + pounds.

Wondering if other skiers tend to gain, lose or maintain the same body weight during the ski season.

snowmonster

I usually gain about 5 lbs. during ski season. I guess it's because the sport is less aerobic and I don't sweat as much. It's also probably because of the beer and meat (e.g., hamburgers, chili) consumption. I've resolved to hit the gym next month and get in better shape for the hikes up Tux and surfing in the summer. Summer activities and a summer diet revolving around grilled fish are probably much healthier for me.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I lost weight as soon as we moved out to CO...maintained the weight while skiing all season and now that I haven't been skiing 4x a week it's been a little hairy. Happy hour kills me now that I'm not working out and burning x amount of calories to drinking beer and eating wings. YUM:beer: Time to get out my running shoes...

my poor knees

same here, I usually gain about 10-20 but I usually take ( most ) of it off in the off season. Something about the green mountains and skiing that make me want to light up in the gondola. But then after ski season is over I go back to being an angel and work-out and exercise more. Plus during ski season I figure skiing is enough of a leg work-out so I stop running. Gotta lay off that funny stuff.............

Tooth

I stay the same. My entire fitness program revolves around the ability to keep up with four kids aged 16,14,12, and 9. I will not let them leave me in the dust. Put up some nice ski/snowboard shots in your workout room and you'll be good to go. Its easier to stay in shape than to get into shape. High Intensity Interval Training. Short and to the point. Best stuff ever. Pure fat loss. Incredible endurance.

Never lay off that funny stuff. Ever.

wtcobb

Over the course of the season I think I gain more than lose. The winter diet means heavy meals for the holidays, Super Bowl, and more hearty liquid libations. Plus I'm not outside running/biking, activities which I do almost every day in warmer months.

That said, on our trip to Breck/Vail this year we all ended up down in weight by the end of the week (the trip started with Super Bowl and involved many White Russians - Jenny Craig on the hill we were not). The elevation change may have had something to do with it...

I've had discussions over whether skiing burned more/less calories than running (running = more strenuous, skiing = all day activity). I think the bigger consideration is I tend to run 4-5 days a week in summer while I ski 1-2. And it's easy to call it quits on the gym for a few days if you've hit the hills earlier in the week...

Puck it

I sweat my butt off when I ski. But it is only one day a week. I do read the bike everyday but I stopped in December . That is my weight gain right there.

steamboat1

I've been hovering around the same weight for 20+ years. Drink lot's of beer & eat a normal variety of foods (some good, some not). At 6' & staying between 178 to 185lbs ain't bad. Even if I work out regularly (which I haven't for several years now) it doesn't make much difference.

legalskier

I don't weigh myself so I just go by whether my pants feel tighter or looser. This year they remained constant, slightly looser at one point. I'd rather not look at a scale- just me.

Saw this in the news today; might try it out-

Green coffee beans show potential for losing weight
In a limited trial, 16 overweight young adults taking various doses of green coffee bean extract lost an average of 17.5 pounds and 16% in body fat in 22 weeks. But questions remain, experts say.

Story: http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-green-coffee-weight-loss-20120328,0,4627793.story

steamboat1

I don't weigh myself so I just go by whether my pants feel tighter or looser. This year they remained constant, slightly looser at one point. I'd rather not look at a scale- just me.

Saw this in the news today; might try it out-

Green coffee beans show potential for losing weight
In a limited trial, 16 overweight young adults taking various doses of green coffee bean extract lost an average of 17.5 pounds and 16% in body fat in 22 weeks. But questions remain, experts say.

Story: http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-green-coffee-weight-loss-20120328,0,4627793.story
Isn't this the same guy that said the other day that popcorn has more antioxidants than fruit?

frozencorn

Lose weight every year, despite the beer, wings, etc. Look my best May-June. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

hammer

Weight's been creeping up but it has nothing to do with the seasons...more to do with lack of activity and the desire to eat like I did in college. Just need to get with a more regular conditioning program.

HowieT2

I gain weight, my thighs get huge, so this season I made a conscious effort to cut down on the burgers and fries and replace that with salad or soup at lunch. didnt work. didnt lose weight and my stomach was "unsettled". so I'm back on the burgers.

and fwiw, I sweat when skiing the trees but not on the groomers

deadheadskier

Staff member
Until 2 years ago, I always lost weight during the ski season as I was a lazy SOB and didn't work out in the off season. Now I work out year round and stay pretty much at the same weight.

jrmagic

IN the past I would always gain weight through a combination of being less active, drinking copius amounts of dark heavy beers and eatnig more burgers/comfort foods. This year, after dropping a lot of weight inthe fall, I managed to stay the same through the winter.

Cheese

now that I haven't been skiing 4x a week it's been a little hairy.

That's something COMPLETELY different!

giggity.gif

It's actually quite refreshing to kick up the calories a bit during the ski season and not gain weight. Just have to remember to drop the calorie intake back to summer levels after this weekend.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I tend to gain some weight over the ski season. About 10 lbs. Due totally to having less hours in the bike saddle(s). I have my road bike on the trainer and ride it daily while watching WC ski racing. (or the mt. Bike outside, weather permitting). I just can't spend hours on it like I can be on my bike when its warm outside.

ScottySkis

This year I gained a lot of weight munchies syndromes I guess, but i'm determined to take it off this summer.