• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NHL Lockout?

Bene288

Amen. We took the kids to the BC-ULowell game last night. Will probably at least take my son to some games at Merrimack and ULowell, too. We have about half the Hockey East schools within 40 minutes of our house (BC, BU, Northeastern, ULowell, Merrimack, UNH)

You're lucky to be in such a good market. In Albany I can catch RPI or Union. Not quite like BC or BU, but still good hockey.

kickstand

You're lucky to be in such a good market. In Albany I can catch RPI or Union. Not quite like BC or BU, but still good hockey.

Aren't they both in ECAC? That's a good league. And I think RPI plays a pretty solid out-of-conference schedule. If they get some good home games, you should be able to catch some good hockey out there. Or make a trip to Boston for a weekend...

BC and BU are probably the the furthest away and once the season gets going, you can't touch those tickets. We looked into going to Agganis for a game. All the big games are already sold out, and it was something like $30/seat for what was available. We got into Conte for $15/seat, I think, and it was relatively empty (only 4th game of the season). My wife went to BC, so she may have gotten an alumni discount. I need to check out their rink, but I think I'll have better overall luck at Merrimack. My alma mater (Bentley) plays at ULowell this season. I don't think I'll have trouble getting into that one....

skiNEwhere

Since the NHL is locked out, I've been watching the KHL. A little different, but there's still quality games to be found

Bene288

Since the NHL is locked out, I've been watching the KHL. A little different, but there's still quality games to be found

I've caught a few of those. They're alright, just kind of different from North American hockey. A lot of finesse and great skating, but very little forechecking. But that's what the European game has always been about. Luckily for me Time Warner plays college (usually RIT) and some AHL games on channel 50. I'm getting through the lockout. I've been skating everyday myself, so I can live without NHL hockey for the time being.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Well watching professional Russian hockey on MSG tonight at least my Rangers can't louse.

Bene288

Well watching professional Russian hockey on MSG tonight at least my Rangers can't louse.

KHL hockey is so boring in my opinion. I'm glad that NBC sports plays Friday night college games, NCAA hockey is way more entertaining than the Russian game. But your right, at least the Blueshirts can't loose tonight.

In other news, the NHL brought in mediators to try and help move CBA talks along. Should have done that in June..

ScottySkis

KHL hockey is so boring in my opinion. I'm glad that NBC sports plays Friday night college games, NCAA hockey is way more entertaining than the Russian game. But your right, at least the Blueshirts can't loose tonight.

In other news, the NHL brought in mediators to try and help move CBA talks along. Should have done that in June..

It doesn't replace the NHL, I usually just watch for some hockey relief.

kickstand

If you get the NHL Network, thier programming has been pretty good thru the lockout. Last night, I watched the end of last year's Winter Classic (Scotty, your Rangers still managed to win, even in the re-run) and the Pittsburgh-Buffalo Winter Classic was on right after it. Their series "A Day That Changed The Game" is outstanding.

Rikka

What do you guys think the drop dead date is for the season?
I'm thinking if a deal isn't done by Christmas , they will cancel the season:cry:.

ScottySkis

What do you guys think the drop dead date is for the season?
I'm thinking if a deal isn't done by Christmas , they will cancel the season:cry:.

I think the season is done now honestly.

ScottySkis

If you get the NHL Network, thier programming has been pretty good thru the lockout. Last night, I watched the end of last year's Winter Classic (Scotty, your Rangers still managed to win, even in the re-run) and the Pittsburgh-Buffalo Winter Classic was on right after it. Their series "A Day That Changed The Game" is outstanding.

I know they were a good team last season part of what makes this lack of season so upsetting is how good they could have been this year.

soozilah

the only disappointment I've had since I moved back to Boston after almost 20 years away is this stupid lockout. Love my Bruins and feel really ripped off not getting to go to any games this season!

skiNEwhere

The season has been cancelled up to Dec 14th. If they can't reach an agreement by then, I'd expect the season to be officially over

Bene288

BC - BU games this weekend are probably the best hockey games available. I think they're being televised on NBC sports network. NBC is doing a great job with their broadcasting. Doc Emerick (formerly of the NJ Devils organization) is calling the games. Makes it seem more like an NHL game. I know it's no substitute for your Blueshirts, but it'll be great hockey.

ScottySkis

Thanks Ben288 I like college hockey, and on the weekend I will watch, what I miss about Rangers is having it to watch after work midweek, tv shows for the most part don't interest me.

kickstand

BC - BU games this weekend are probably the best hockey games available. I think they're being televised on NBC sports network. NBC is doing a great job with their broadcasting. Doc Emerick (formerly of the NJ Devils organization) is calling the games. Makes it seem more like an NHL game. I know it's no substitute for your Blueshirts, but it'll be great hockey.

Was very pleasantly surprised to hear Doc Emerick calling these games. I think he's one of the best in the business. My wife had the pleasure of listening to him call Flyers games locally back in the 80's. Now we all get to hear him. She even has some old Flyers game programs with photos of him with hair.

And for those who get NBC Sports:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/11/heres-your-nbcsn-college-hockey-schedule/

ScottySkis

Forbes says the NY Rangers are worth 740 millions, there not worth anything if their not playing games I say.

BenedictGomez

I'm a former STH, and I dont even give a ratz azz whether or not there's an NHL season anymore.

And there are plenty of people like me. That should scare the NHL and the Players Union - but it wont, because they're both dumb.