• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd qualify being critical of no announcement of equipment being rented as bitching, yes.

$1.1M is nothing to sneeze at for an area like Burke.

I hope to make it back next season to see the results. Perhaps I didn't ride the lifts with the right pass holders, but the one visit I had (and it was in mid January just after the debacle) people weren't saying, "oh the compressors weren't rented."

I just think you all are pre-judging and spewing negativity before they've even had a chance to prove themselves. I bet things are much better next year.

VTKilarney

St. Johnsbury Academy is moving their operations to New Hampshire, including dorm student recreational skiing.

River19

I'd qualify being critical of no announcement of equipment being rented as bitching, yes.

$1.1M is nothing to sneeze at for an area like Burke.

I hope to make it back next season to see the results. Perhaps I didn't ride the lifts with the right pass holders, but the one visit I had (and it was in mid January just after the debacle) people weren't saying, "oh the compressors weren't rented."

I just think you all are pre-judging and spewing negativity before they've even had a chance to prove themselves. I bet things are much better next year.

I can agree with this for the most part, however I think given the track record of the current management, it seems fine to still bet on under-delivering and hope to be wrong. Rarely do I hope to be wrong anywhere in life, but this is one of those cases.

If we saw the primary driver of much of the animosity removed (ie. Jr.) then I think it would go a long way to changing some of the perception and skepticism associated with anything coming from "Mgt". A year ago, Sr. & Stenger appeared to have some decent street cred and when they spoke it was given a bit more credibility than when Jr. alone said anything. Now, a year later, from where I sit, given the items in the news regarding Sr. and Stenger and what has happened (or not happened as the case may be) in Newport, I lump them all in the boat of "actions will speak louder than press releases".

So for now, I will smile and nod and politely stick to "we sure will see how that turns out".

River19

St. Johnsbury Academy is moving their operations to New Hampshire, including dorm student recreational skiing.

Wow. Isn't there a heavy Asian contingent at SJA? If so, how does that play out with the EB-5 investor targets......interesting indeedy....

dlague

Might be in large part due to the changes they are making on the Mittersill side and the dedicated racing trails which will include snowmaking? Maybe not so much to take away from Q.

steamboat1

Seems to be a bit of money for ski areas catering to these young racing programs. Inverness at Mt. Ellen opens weeks before the rest of the mountain just for the racing program. At Killington Upper Bunny Buster, Highline & often Needles Eye trails are dedicated to these same programs. Main Street at Stowe is another example. Cannon seems to be trying to capitalize on the income these programs generate with the Mittersill expansion. Q on the other hand seems to have burnt to many bridges with these programs. New fan guns won't help.

SkiRaceParent

Seems to be a bit of money for ski areas catering to these young racing programs. Inverness at Mt. Ellen opens weeks before the rest of the mountain just for the racing program. At Killington Upper Bunny Buster, Highline & often Needles Eye trails are dedicated to these same programs. Main Street at Stowe is another example. Cannon seems to be trying to capitalize on the income these programs generate with the Mittersill expansion. Q on the other hand seems to have burnt to many bridges with these programs. New fan guns won't help.

Let's get things straight here. This is St Johnsbury Academy not a ski academy. BMA (Burke) and GMVS (Mt. Ellen) are to St J Academy in ski racing what Duke is to Plymouth State in Basketball. No comparison. The money is in the elite academy and national and jr. programs, not the varsity high school programs. I do think it's ashamed though that St J Academy was priced out but it's not because Q isn't embracing high end ski racing and where profitability can come from in that sport for a resort.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Let's get things straight here. This is St Johnsbury Academy not a ski academy. BMA (Burke) and GMVS (Mt. Ellen) are to St J Academy in ski racing what Duke is to Plymouth State in Basketball. No comparison. The money is in the elite academy and national and jr. programs, not the varsity high school programs. I do think it's ashamed though that St J Academy was priced out but it's not because Q isn't embracing high end ski racing and where profitability can come from in that sport for a resort.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that with Q's move. From what I understand, Burke never charged LI or SJA a significant trail fee. The expectation was that they would buy passes and it was a goodwill gesture from Burke to the local community. Goodwill obviously is not in Q's vocabulary. My understanding was that he sent a post-dated invoice to these schools for an absurd amount of money to use the facility this season. After Stenger intervening, he withdrew it but threatened to do the same for 2015-2016. He didn't disappoint. I had heard a while back that SJA was considering moving and they did. I know that my alma mater, LI, is in a bind here as well. Real nice guy.

VTKilarney

I wonder if any families will switch entirely to Cannon if they have a high school aged child that skis for St. Johnsbury Academy.

Keep in mind that Q isn't losing just the racers. He will be losing all of the dorm students as well.

deadheadskier

Staff member
There's probably some hotel revenue lost there from visiting family as well. Definitely not a good look for Q and an area that struggles with skier visits.

thetrailboss

Staff member
There's probably some hotel revenue lost there from visiting family as well. Definitely not a good look for Q and an area that struggles with skier visits.

Sounding a bit negative there, DHS ;) . Agree with the point though that this is not a good move.

dlague

I don't think anyone ever stated that they they were a ski a academy - and who cares if they are not. The fact is, they used to use Burke and now it is being made too expensive and as a result their ski team with be based out of Cannon. FAIL!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sounding a bit negative there, DHS ;) . Agree with the point though that this is not a good move.

Because that was negative news. Announcing a $1.1M investment as the first part of three stage snowmaking system upgrade is positive news. It might not be what everyone wants right away, but it's a step in the right direction. ;)

VTKilarney

I really wonder what Lyndon Institute will do. If I had to guess (and this is only a guess), they will suck it up for this year and in the meantime they will explore the possibility of putting in a basic snowmaking system at the Outing Club. Maybe I'm naive about the cost of a small, basic system, though. Too bad Lyndon State College is having serious budget issues. They would make a good partner, especially if there was a terrain park.