• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you ski with water, and if so, how do you bring it along?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I have a camelback but I've only ever used it for mountain biking. Usually I just drink water when I'm on a break from the slopes. Do you guys bring water when you are on lift-served terrain?

farlep99

Not usually in the East unless it's a powder day & I plan on taking no breaks. Out west or Europe then I use camelback, especially at places with any kind of significant altitude.

jimmywilson69

yes I have a Dakine pack that has a holster for a blatter. The drink tube can be fed through the left shoulder strap and is revealed by a zipper. I love it.

I don't typically use this at my local hill in PA, but anytime I am in Vermont or out west at a "big" mountain.

KevinF

My jacket has big pockets, so I just carry a small water bottle in my pockets. It freezes up if it's a stupidly cold day, but for the most part it stays remarkably liquid-y.

Smellytele

I do not in the Northeast but I have out west where the altitude seems to dry you out faster. I use a camelback pack which also fits my shell or other layers I may want to strip. Also a couple pieces of chocolate or energy bars. My whole family uses them as well although the kids' ones are just for water and a snack. The less time I spend in the lodge the better and I don't want to give them any reason to have to go in there either. :lol:

wa-loaf

I usually wear one out west. Altitude and dry air make me thirsty.

Cheese

Never in the east. Never without it out it in the west, Canada or Europe. It's also packed with more than just water (alternate goggle lens, alternate gloves, powder straps, protein bar, Leatherman, whistle and sometimes a beacon). I believe it's the CamelBak Mule.

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

Sometimes. Definitely yes if I plan on doing any hiking. Probably yes if I plan on taking multiple runs on a more isolated part of the mountain. Probably no if I'm just skiing cruisers and taking a quick break in the lodge anyway every 10 runs or so.

Cheese

BTW a shot of blackberry brandy in the reservoir will kill the old plastic flavor from the bladder. It gets heavily diluted and basically sipped throughout the day so unlikely to cause any harm.

powhunter

Usually bring a couple gatorade juice boxes..easily fit in the jacket pockets..only had 1 explode on a nasty wipe out...If its not too cold we stash a few brews on the trail for mid day consumption

Steveo

C-Rex

On a powder day or any day where I'll be in the woods a lot I like to wear my camel back or my dakine pack. I definitely keep my energy levels higher when I drink water frequently. Like others have said, out west with the higher altitudes and dryer air it's pretty much a must for those not acclimated.

mriceyman

i can fit 2 20 oz bacardi and snapple in my jacket... never want to go thirsty!

makimono

I drink a couple liters of water a day while skiing.

I can just fit a regular poland spring bottle in the cargo pockets of my burton pants and just fill them up off the tap during the day.

Bene288

I have a small back pack that has a bladder in it. I usually use it for extra layers and to keep my wallet/keys/phone, because I hate that stuff taking up my pocket space.

I'll use the camelback sometimes depending on who I'm skiing with. If I go with my uncle and I know we're going to do some serious leg burning runs I'll fill it up with unsweetened green tea, it's great for energy. Usually only on bigger mountains where the trails are a little more isolated and further away from the lodges. When it's bitter cold I'll carry a small flask with some scotch.

wa-loaf

I don't know how you guys can stand having bottles of water and what not in your pockets. That would drive me crazy.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I used to ski with a backpack all the time until a few years ago. I don't know why. I usually had a layer in there, wallet, phone, water, a powerbar or two, a camera .... now I like skiing more unencumbered.