• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington: December 10, 2006 (Blue Bird Day and AZer Gathering)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: December 10, 2006

Resort or Ski Area: Killington

Conditions: PP/P Weather: Sunny, bluebird skies, warm temps and cold, stiff wind.

Trip Report: Day five. Hard to believe. Day two for Ms. TB. We got up early, despite me being kind of :puke: , well, not exactly that kind of sick.....more head cold and flu carried over from Friday night. Got on the road at 7:30 and got to the mountain at 8:20 to find that folks were in Vale already :eek: Oh well, got the first bus and shot right up to KBL. KBL was packed, but it cleared out after we got there.

We headed up the K-1 first thing to get the early AM fresh snow. Well worth it. The Great Northern-East Fall Run was tip top. Midwinter conditions. Real machine groomed joy. It really made the trip worth it. :D :D

The sunrise from North Ridge Triple was nice....we hit Rime to Lower East Fall, which was holding up well despite the masses cascading down it. They had rolled out Lower East Fall the night before.

After a quick stop at the lodge, we decided to scope out Skye Peak. First run down Upper Superstar was interesting. Glare ice with some edgeable stuff on the extreme sides. The wind had stripped it pretty much. Ms. TB lost edge and slid feet first down the headwall :eek: She regained control though (phew). We headed over down the Bittersweet/Skye Lark run they had open, which was crowded, but not bad. Next run was down the Skye Lark/Bittersweet Trail. Really, really nasty on top....basically an icy windtunnel. Lower portions skied well and were less crowded.

I sent Ms. TB to the K-1 while I met Marc, roark, the bigo, kore shot, and ms. the bigo. Nice folks and easy to meet. We rode up the K-1 in the designated "AZ Car" I guess you can say. the bigo is from Exeter, NH and kore shot from Jersey--his skis really caught everyone's eye--wide boards.

We all paraded down off the summit....still holding up well...and hit Rime to find some good crud on the sides. Headed up North Ridge and charged down Rime again. Peering down Lower East Fall, we decided to push it. I found that the trail was still edgeable. Almost got run over by a gaper snowboarder....the same guy who literally tumbled down the hill past me and later plowed into the bigo. By the way, the bigo is not a guy you want to run over--I'd say he was a football player at one time :wink: Needless to say, he was not happy. So we headed over to Canyon Quad and rode up.

Next run was down Double Dipper...the bigo was in heaven on the pow on skier's left while I took my usual line on the other side. We hit East Fall again--upper was in good shape and lower still holding up.

After a lunch break, met up with the folks in KBL and headed over to a cold, windy Snowdon Quad ride. Skied Mouse Run and found some nice crud to play in. Hit the Poma and skied the thin, but soft bumps of MTS back to the Poma. Oh yeah...Great Northern through here was literally a death trap. Saw a snowboarder plow over a small girl. Not a good scene. Last run was down Mouse Run with Ms. TB proclaiming that the hero snow was "her kind of thing."

We parted ways and headed back to KBL. I was getting tired and Ms. TB was shot. As we left, we noted that despite the high winds, guns were going on Cascade and on Skye Peak.

A nice day. Great to meet some more AZer's. Let's do it again when I am in better health. :wink:

Last edited:

BeanoNYC

Great report...have you noticed anyone using the designated AZ two-way channel yet? Wondering if I should check it next time I'm up.

SnowRider

Great report...have you noticed anyone using the designated AZ two-way channel yet? Wondering if I should check it next time I'm up.

Is this thing a secret or can anyone use it? If anyone can use it what is the channel?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yup 3-13.

I got in 22,000 ft of vert Saturday and 20,000 today. My legs are a little tired. But the good tired.

Highline was pretty good too. Some thin spots but some moguls on the steeps the size of VW's. Good for some more practice. Wish my legs were a little fresher but oh well.

Skye Lark had gorgeous bumps on Saturday.

Turn of River was cool except for this knob jockey who snored ALL NIGHT LONG. Man did he suck. It's nice that they provide breakfast, but I'm almost rather stay at the Trojan if it were closer. Trojan has a kitchen, which I liked. Although I had a great mushrrom pizza at Pizza Jerks Saturday night.

Newpylong

Sounds like you guys had a great day. I took my friend's offer of a ride and a free ticket for Okemo. It was a real nice relaxing day, but with soft snow I wish I could have enjoyed what you guys did, lol.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
It always seems to be windy on the Superstar headwall. Your getting in your days at K, are you going to check out Mt Snow this season?

Top of Superstar always seems to get some of the strongest winds on the mountain. But, I got to say, I enjoy them. With winds blowing the snow around it makes for some nice surreal scenes.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It always seems to be windy on the Superstar headwall. Your getting in your days at K, are you going to check out Mt Snow this season?

It's on the list.....just have to get there. I wanted to ski 'Snow on Black Friday, but had no takers...

roark

Had a great time meeting some new folks, good to see Marc & TB again as well. Always more fun in a group than alone (although the singles line certainly has its perks...). Definately something to be said for skiing with better skier than you. koreshot rocked the 188 soft bros in the bumps, very solid skier. Did biff his 180 tho ;) Hope to see you up this way again soon.

Will most likely be up again next weekend.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was going to ask Roark about the team...and what offseason training they have been doing :wink:

koreshot

Sunday was fun! K-mart gets some props for delivering the skiing that they did, given the weather conditions. AZers get even more props, solid skiing from everyone. It was particualry fun to see Marc, Roark, TB & bigo weave their way through (and occasionally scare) the type-A soccer moms and those pesky snowboarders as they ripped down the bumps near the poma. Your AWD Escalade won't help you here lady!

Glad I made the trip up and met everyone, though I think every muscle in my body hurts... thanks to being out of shape and pulling off the ugliest attempt at a 180 and face planting into the snow.

Just got back to home to beautiful Joisey, dragged my sore butt up the stairs and started packing. Hope to be skiing powder in Alta on Wednesday!

thetrailboss

Staff member
koreshot is a legit skier. Nice boards. Have fun in Utah and look forward to skiing with us again.....when we can spend more time and maybe do the apres thing.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Sunday was fun! K-mart gets some props for delivering the skiing that they did, given the weather conditions. AZers get even more props, solid skiing from everyone. It was particualry fun to see Marc, Roark, TB & bigo weave their way through (and occasionally scare) the type-A soccer moms and those pesky snowboarders as they ripped down the bumps near the poma. Your AWD Escalade won't help you here lady!

Glad I made the trip up and met everyone, though I think every muscle in my body hurts... thanks to being out of shape and pulling off the ugliest attempt at a 180 and face planting into the snow.

Just got back to home to beautiful Joisey, dragged my sore butt up the stairs and started packing. Hope to be skiing powder in Alta on Wednesday!

Haha, no sympathy from any of us!

I dragged my sore pathetic excuse for a body to the gym today.

It was serious fun skiing with Koreshot, it's cool to watch him carve through soft half bumps a la Mike Hattrup. I missed the 180 attempt but I did catch the aftermath. Hey, at least you tried, I didn't have the stones to do anything except land on two skis.

Plus he gave me the low down on skiing in SA.

But yeah, skiing with Roark and him, and TB and the missus was a great time. Def. gotta do that again.

And damn, Koreshot, mang, move your ass up to New England already, you have family up here after all. Do you really want to live in the same state as AndyZee??