• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington: December 10, 2006 (Blue Bird Day and AZer Gathering)

thebigo

Despite nearly getting killed by a runaway snowboarder, ridiculously sore legs and more than a few too many long trails it was a great weekend.

I got two solid days of skiing and got to meet a bunch of new people. Look forward to doing it again.

Today was day #5 and the best day of the young season for me.

We awoke this morning to light flurries and got out on the hill around 10:00. First lift was the K1 to Cascade headwall. It was a few inches of wet fresh on top of rock solid death moguls with a maximum of 20 ft of visibility. After this run I stayed in the glades and snowdon for the rest of the day. The ceiling was around 3000ft, above that visibility was limited to maybe 50ft. Snow was soft everywhere. We found a soft bump line on the extreme skiers left of mouse run. I finally got the old lady to overcome her fear of pomas and we lapped it off the poma a bunch of times, middle chute was also nice. Lower east fall was empty all day and the skiers left had some soft bumps.

A few other observations:
They had about 6-8 guns running on powerline. They dragged the hoses through the woods and had the guns facing directly up the trail. I was hoping they would open it today but no luck.

For some reason they closed highline for the day. A groomer was running on highline all day. They plowed all the snow down to the bottom in a massive pile. I have no idea what they were doing but it looked like they were creating a terrain park at the bottom.

Now a few days of work, opening weekend at Pico and then off to Utah.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
They had about 6-8 guns running on powerline. They dragged the hoses through the woods and had the guns facing directly up the trail. I was hoping they would open it today but no luck.

Interesting....good for them to be blowing snow on the trail. The snow report listed it as open.

For some reason they closed highline for the day. A groomer was running on highline all day. They plowed all the snow down to the bottom in a massive pile. I have no idea what they were doing but it looked like they were creating a terrain park at the bottom.

Another interesting thing. Maybe getting that halfpipe ready? I don't know.

Opening weekend at Pico: may see you there.

koreshot

a) You guys are making me blush...the entire AZ crew on Sunday was rippin. Besides, I was the only one taking face plants so...

b) I am getting very concerned about meeting the mysterious Andy Zee character. As if his posts and AZ folklore isn't enough, now I find out he lives in Joisey? This isn't good for my confidence.

thetrailboss

Staff member
a) You guys are making me blush...the entire AZ crew on Sunday was rippin. Besides, I was the only one taking face plants so...

Ms. TB took some shots....including the famous slide down Superstar that she told her coworkers about today.

b) I am getting very concerned about meeting the mysterious Andy Zee character. As if his posts and AZ folklore isn't enough, now I find out he lives in Joisey? This isn't good for my confidence.

Andy is a nice guy. Seriously. I've skied with him. All folks from AZ that I have met and hung out with have been nice.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com

Dude, if I skied with you, your confidence would go up tenfold. :lol:

koreshot

Despite nearly getting killed by a runaway snowboarder, ridiculously sore legs and more than a few too many long trails it was a great weekend.

I got two solid days of skiing and got to meet a bunch of new people. Look forward to doing it again.

Today was day #5 and the best day of the young season for me.

We awoke this morning to light flurries and got out on the hill around 10:00. First lift was the K1 to Cascade headwall. It was a few inches of wet fresh on top of rock solid death moguls with a maximum of 20 ft of visibility. After this run I stayed in the glades and snowdon for the rest of the day. The ceiling was around 3000ft, above that visibility was limited to maybe 50ft. Snow was soft everywhere. We found a soft bump line on the extreme skiers left of mouse run. I finally got the old lady to overcome her fear of pomas and we lapped it off the poma a bunch of times, middle chute was also nice. Lower east fall was empty all day and the skiers left had some soft bumps.

Thanks for the report - you are making me regret not skiing K-mart today. If I remember correctly, you are heading out to Utah around Dec 16? I should be coming back on the 17th and should have some insight on the conditions in the LCC and BCC if you are interested. PM me to remind me and i'll give you whatever info I have. If we don't speak before you head out, good luck! SLC area is looking pretty good for the next couple of weeks. Small storms stacked on top of each other for the next 5 or 6 days at least it seems.

koreshot

And damn, Koreshot, mang, move your ass up to New England already, you have family up here after all. Do you really want to live in the same state as AndyZee??

I would love to move up to VT or something. Still exploring options. The Mrs is pretty open to the idea, since its her side of the family thats based in NH. Its that pesky "job" thing thats standing in the way. I just can't see myself getting a good job in the IT industry up there at this point. Hopefully one day I'll figure something out. Joisey is getting old fast.

It was fun skiing with you and the rest of the crew. I will definitely PM everyone next time I come up to VT.

TB, affirmative on the apres ski, we might even take some time and talk about something outside of skiing stuff...though us AZ guys are such ski dorks, its rather unlikely.