• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock 4-7-2013 -

Bostonian

Date(s) Skied: 4/7/2013

Resort or Ski Area:
Gunstock

Conditions:
Corn, Frozen Loose Gran.

Trip Report:
Well today was certainly one to remember, or not... Got up to the hill by 8:30am, to find a fairly empty Gunstock. Registered for the annual pond skim, which I was looking forward to! Not to mention, I was pretty excited to close out Gunstock's season after making them my home mountain. Ended up lapping Trigger, Recoil and also Gunsmoke. Made my way over to the Tiger Triple to ski Cannonball and Tiger and Flintrock Extension... Then back up the top, before to get ready for a bite to eat and to meet a friend up for lunch..

As I was skiing down Cannonball, according to ski patrol (who observed me from the lift), I had lost consciousness and crashed down while cruising down Cannonball. I was out for anywhere between 2-5 minutes. The next time I remember, I was being loaded up into ambulance to LRG and spent the next 3 hours there. Luckily, I only had a concussion, and nothing too major. Made it back to Gunstock to catch the end of one of the bands and to thank Ski Patrol. I still have no idea what happened, but intend to be back in form for next season...

Some photos below:

Helmet:

892716_10151394318277963_421935055_o.jpg

Cannonball - no more racing for the season :(

547428_10151393670217963_113607663_n.jpg

My bib - Lucky number 12 isn't so lucky!

479963_10151393635112963_1569760233_n.jpg

Is it mid winter? Or early April?

149003_10151393622547963_19855849_n.jpg

legalskier

As I was skiing down Cannonball, according to ski patrol (who observed me from the lift), I had lost consciousness and crashed down while cruising down Cannonball. I was out for anywhere between 2-5 minutes. The next time I remember, I was being loaded up into ambulance to LRG and spent the next 3 hours there. Luckily, I only had a concussion, and nothing too major. Made it back to Gunstock to catch the end of one of the bands and to thank Ski Patrol. I still have no idea what happened, but intend to be back in form for next season...

Thank goodness it was "just" a concussion and you're ok.
.......But it sounds like no one could determine what caused you to faint in the first place. I've heard of some unusual situations before, but never fainting while skiing. Sounds like something you should follow up on with your doctor:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/470866-fainting-during-exercise/

Warp Daddy

Glad that you are ok , BUT DO see your physician and inquire as to probable causes for blackout .

Be diligent and vigilant about your health , it is your wealth my friend . It may be minor but knowledge is power

Bostonian

Appreciate the kind words. I have a Dr visit at 10:30am so we will see what's what. I do know that the physician at LRGH mentioned that I may have had an episode of syncope. Scary stuff. We on the bright side I have a day off from work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Warp Daddy

Hey way to stay positive young man !!! U r in our thoughts and prayers and no doubt your youth , attitute and conditioning are a major plus and will carry you through . The human spirit can do amazing things when focused .

Bostonian

I appreciate the positive words! I am having a follow up MRI tomorrow morning, and then a meeting with my cardiologist on Wednesday. I want to be primed to ski next season! Hell even maybe hit superstar on June 1st!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Best wishes it's nothing too serious. I was there on Sunday from about 11 until 2 for a short goodbye due to other obligations off the hill. Next season we'll have to make some turns!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh and by the way, what time did the accident occur at? Right as I was walking to the lodge before 11, I saw ski patrol with someone strapped into a sled heading towards first aid.

Bostonian

DHS, that was me... I literally took this picture of Cannonball right before I went down, on sling shot.

13+-+1

I am guessing it was around 11:20, since this photo was time stamped at 11:16.

Bostonian

So an update this morning... MRI came back clear... So no brain injury which is great... I am finally beginning to feel more like myself and not so hazy like the last couple of days. Today I meet with my cardiologist to determine what caused the black out to begin with, as all signs point to my heart (I do have a pre-existing heart condition - Heart Arrhythmia, but I didn't experience anything that day) . On a side note, I did notice a nice big bruise on my left hip... So the fall I took was a mighty nasty one!

Maybe just maybe, I will be able to get some May or June turns in at Killington, so my season may not be just done yet! That is if things get figured out from a pulmonary vantage point. Medical Visit #4 begins at 10:20!

Major thanks to everyone keeping me in their thoughts!