• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tips for the 1st winter with a baby.

Riverskier

I have a 5 year old daughter and took her out for the first time last season when she was 4 and she loved it. As for the year she was born, my situation was different, as the wife was not a skier. I got in 26 days that year. Being a little over an hour from Sunday River helped. Left at 6:30 on Sundays, on snow by 8, skied non stop until noon (15-20 runs), a couple beers from 12-1, and home by 2:30. Encouraged her to take off when I got home on, and to do whatever she wanted on Saturdays, i.e. compromise. The fact that your wife is a skier changes the game a bit though.

prsboogie

We did seasonal ski, boot & pole, rentals for my daughter when she was growing up. Not sure what it costs now but back then it was only a little over $100 to rent for the season.

I do that now for my two, $99 each and they have a deal with Bretton Woods for free jr season passes. Now that is Win-Win!!

SkiFanE

My #3 kiddo was born 8/31. Skiied til mid-April, delivered and I was skiing by Dec (after c-section). By then we had ski house and 2 older kids already on skis - I got cheaper pass and didn't get normal # days in, but enough to satisfy me. Started kiddo at 2.5yo and is best skier of them all - got the rhythm inutero.

So it's possible - but I know what be a new parent is like compared to a seasoned one, lol. Getting kid #1 as baby out of house is a project with tons of equipment. By kid #3 you've got one diaper and spare clothes somewhere in the car, if you dig deep enough - the kid just goes where rest of family has to go.

Having lodge sitting grandparents is like hitting lottery. Otherwise....much harder- but trust me - you don't miss it much enjoying the new bundle and life adjustments. Not that I am still bummed about missing 95/96 season...

congrat, don't sweat it - ski mountains aren't going anywhere, enjoy the baby!

MadMadWorld

My 2nd is due any day at this point and my goal is to get out as often as I can regardless of conditions. I have a 2.5 yr old as well and my spring was non-existent because of help issues with her. If you can get a babysitter and it's freezing or raining....just go.

As far as skiing with your kid. My daughter had just turned 2 when I got her on skis this year. I bought a $40 set of plastic skis that go over her boots. I picked a couple of sunny 50 degree days and we literally just went to the sledding hill. If you make it fun for them, they might get as obsessed with skiing as you are.

MadMadWorld

My wife caught us watching skiing videos at the breakfast table in the middle of July...

Attachments

• 1439246886353.jpg
    1439246886353.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 58

drjeff

I can 100% assure you, that any days off your typical season average you loose during the next season or 2 will be more than made up in the form of the incredible rush you'll get when you see your kid on skis for the 1st time in a few seasons!

MadMadWorld

Try this:

Friday night, pack all of your ski stuff in the car (either after your wife goes to sleep, or while she is preoccupied in some way with the baby).

Saturday morning, "discover" that some sort of grocery item is need of replacement (for example, perhaps you accidentally left the milk on the counter over night. Oops.). Be a good guy and offer to go get more milk. After all, it's your fault, not to mention there is 8" of new snow on the ground. Don't make your wife go out in that....

Go skiing instead. Apologize profusely later. You should probably grab some flowers on the way home.

Let us know how it works.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone

This a man that speak from experience. I always check the forcast and then try to get my wife to go have a girls night a few days before said storm. That way when she sees me packing up my gear she can't say no. She caught on last year though so I might have to go with the plan that SMS mentioned.

dlague

I can 100% assure you, that any days off your typical season average you loose during the next season or 2 will be more than made up in the form of the incredible rush you'll get when you see your kid on skis for the 1st time in a few seasons!

+1