• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

11/30/2015 Weekly Skiing on the Cheap thread

BenedictGomez

Not sure it needs to be stickied... too many stickies now so that I barely pay attention to them.

Personally I think this weekly thread is a bad idea.

Now I have two SOTC threads to keep looking at? Ugh...... Far more nuisance than convenience.

And honestly, if you're not checking this website enough that you're "missing" lots of the SOTC deals/posts, or are too lazy to read a few pages of posts, you're probably not going to catch a "deal" that expires in a maximum of 7 days anyway, so I'm not understanding the point of this.

deadheadskier

Staff member
One thing's for certain, you can't please everyone on an internet forum. Everyone has different browsing habits/preferences.

dlague

I was OK with the original SOTC. With this approach, these deals will not making it in the larger SOTC thread unless double posted. For those of us who like to recap the SOTC thread, well, some of the deals will not be there or will be a PITA to find. I also do not think each one of these should be stickied!

deadheadskier

Staff member
My thought was only to sticky the current week for quick reference then unsticky the following Monday when the new thread is created. The only reason I had that thought is because the vast majority of people wanted the annual SOTC thread stickied.

Honestly, I couldn't care less. Weekly vs annual thread. Sticky vs not.

MEtoVTSkier

Honestly, what we really need is a much cleaner seasonal thread with all the extra unneeded posts deleted as they pop up. Appoint someone to keep the original page/post updated with new info, and expired info deleted.

NOBODY wants to weed thru 58 pages to find important stuff.

The whole overall concept is good. We just need to refine it a bit, not re-invent the wheel. ;-)

gmcunni

Honestly, what we really need is a much cleaner seasonal thread with all the extra unneeded posts deleted as they pop up. Appoint someone to keep the original page/post updated with new info, and expired info deleted.

are you volunteering?

VTKilarney

The whole overall concept is good. We just need to refine it a bit, not re-invent the wheel. ;-)

+1

deadheadskier

Staff member

Couple of things

People will still complain if something gets deleted in a manner they deem was either premature or not soon enough.

Some like to use that thread as a reference for the next season as a reminder of what deals were available during the prior season. Others look back to see how prices have changed. As an example, lots of good stuff popped up in recent weeks surrounding the Boston ski show. I know some people who aren't buying these products because they've already spent their money for the season. You delete those items and people won't have a point of reference when planning out next seasons purchases.

I've passed along the calendar idea to Nick. If there's something available software wise to refine and simplify things we will do it.

Beyond that either a annual or weekly thread are going to be the choices. I think I can speak for the rest of the moderating staff in that constant thread management isn't a job any of us are interested in.

We've had the annual thread for like ten years. This is the first time I recall anyone complaining about the format, but apparently many share the opinion it should change. That to me warrants trying something different for at least a little while. My suggestion is to try out the weekly thread idea until the end of the year to see how people like it, then have a vote whether to stick with it or go back to the annual thread.

dlague

Couple of things

People will still complain if something gets deleted in a manner they deem was either premature or not soon enough.

Some like to use that thread as a reference for the next season as a reminder of what deals were available during the prior season. Others look back to see how prices have changed. As an example, lots of good stuff popped up in recent weeks surrounding the Boston ski show. I know some people who aren't buying these products because they've already spent their money for the season. You delete those items and people won't have a point of reference when planning out next seasons purchases.

+1

We've had the annual thread for like ten years. This is the first time I recall anyone complaining about the format, but apparently many share the opinion it should change. That to me warrants trying something different for at least a little while. My suggestion is to try out the weekly thread idea until the end of the year to see how people like it, then have a vote whether to stick with it or go back to the annual thread.

Will someone double enter the deals into the larger thread for future reference? If not then, not good!

reefer

Don't like this either. Update the original thread as a deal pops up during the week. I'm gonna go post one over there now. Probably a repeat.
I also a agree there is a lot of un-needed rebuttal in the original. I don't really care you got yours, or I got my passport, or I got this card in the mail today, put that BS in the chatter thread.

Jully

I liked the subforum idea that someone posted too, but I'd also vote for the annual thread.

MEtoVTSkier

I also a agree there is a lot of un-needed rebuttal in the original. I don't really care you got yours, or I got my passport, or I got this card in the mail today, put that BS in the chatter thread.

This...

If we all make an effort to JUST post the deals, and leave the rest for the chatter threads... it won't grow so so big and fast... kind of like this one is! :grin:

abc

And honestly, if you're not checking this website enough that you're "missing" lots of the SOTC deals/posts, or are too lazy to read a few pages of posts, you're probably not going to catch a "deal" that expires in a maximum of 7 days anyway, so I'm not understanding the point of this.

Right in THIS very thread are some examples of deals "expires in a maximum of 7 days":

purchase Killington lift tickets, valid any day, for just $69. That’s a savings of as much as $27, but hurry, this price is only good until midnight, November 30.

One may argue this one belongs to the main SOTC thread. I would agree to a degree: the sale expires shortly but once purchased, it'll be good for use for the rest of the season. So even people who're not skiing this weekend may want to know about it.

On the other hand, if other people starts posting more deals good for the whole season, this one will very quickly got pushed many pages back. Chances of people being able to see it by 11/30 is not too high.

So, it's a tough call.

Another post from this thread:

Well for the first contribution next Fri.-Sun, 12/4-12/6 is ski club/council days at Stowe. Tickets for ski club/council members will be $45. I might be there Fri.
Theoretically, this one has already been posted in the main annual SOTC thread. When the council ticket was first mentioned, way back in October!

Anyone cares to go dig it up from that annual thread and tell me which page I can find the link?

When I first proposed this weekly thread, I have in mind this would be for last minute deals (like the 2nd example). So this would co-exist with the annual thread. But looking at the contributions already posted, I think it's not such a bad idea that when a deal is about to expire, to just put it on the weekly thread.

For the last few years, I've observed the following: early season, a lot of the seasonal deals are being posted. But for those who wants to ski the WROD? They have trouble digging through all the seasonal deals to find the ones that applies to THIS WEEK. But by the time of late Feb early March, the main thread is full of spring skiing deal updates applicable for say April. It's hard to dig through those to find a deal for say, first weekend of March, which someone had kindly posted on Monday.

Anyway, that was my motivation for proposing it. As our mod deadbeatskier puts it correctly, let's see how it goes by the end of the season.