• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Peak Resorts To Do/Don't List - Hunter Mountain

Jully

Was there today and yesterday.......snowmaking was ON, but they're only making on the trails that are already open, I don't get it no snow on Gun Hill, Upper Crossover, Lower K and NO snow on west except Wayout!! It's been cold for 48hrs so far and the rest of the week looks good too. They had guns on Cliff all day and the wind was blowing the snow up on the rocks, hell I saw that why didn't they?

Peaks at the NH mountains (can't speak for Snow) typically buries terrain before moving onward. If the base is thin on a preexisting trail then they won't force open new terrain until resurfacing is complete. Especially with an extended cold coming it makes sense that they'd do this.

mriceyman

As long as NY state owns Gore, Whiteface, and Bellayre you'll never see it happen. If the state ever does sell their ski resorts Hunter expanding still has the same chance as Magic being able to open Black this season (essentially impossible).

Such a shame. If hunter expanded left it would change the whole dynamic of the place for the extreme better. We do work there in the summer and i stare up there wishing it had 6-7 trail pod and a hsq.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Funky_Catskills

As long as NY state owns Gore, Whiteface, and Bellayre you'll never see it happen. If the state ever does sell their ski resorts Hunter expanding still has the same chance as Magic being able to open Black this season (essentially impossible).

There's been some shifting of land in the "ravine"... The relationship with the DEC seems to be evolving..
the town owns a bunch of land in there(Check the GIS map).. They were logging the deadwood out this summer..

I believe the only thing PEAKS owns is the ski area proper. I know the Slutskys still own the hotel and I believe they still control the real estate but not sure about that.

The hotel, Pinnacle and all real estate associated with the 4 entities were sold. I know from my ownership of the Pinnacle.

Regarding Hunter One Real Estate

Jeff Prince is already developing several homes up there. Drive up and see.

I also know that when I was looking at the webcams yesterday I saw brown still showing on 7th Ave (skiers left side of midstation), so I'm thinking maybe they wanted to get some base depths down?[/QUOTE]

The left of 7th ave is 42nd street. Usually last on the list and has been left to bump up the last 2 years.

millerm277

I also know that when I was looking at the webcams yesterday I saw brown still showing on 7th Ave (skiers left side of midstation), so I'm thinking maybe they wanted to get some base depths down?

The left of 7th ave is 42nd street. Usually last on the list and has been left to bump up the last 2 years.

Nah, I was talking about skier's left, the other side. (The area between the row of fan-guns and the entrances to Ike/Gun Hill).

catskillman

Do review the Hunter Cup race process - I know it is a big race and new to the staff BUT - 1. A raffle prize is a prize. Why do not all winners take the prize that they won and be happy? Why did the coach's kid get to trade in (after other prizes were drawn) get to decide he does not want the swag t shirt he won and get to trade it for a puffer jacket? 2. Then another favored kid got to shop the table and hold up the process? 3. I took what I won and said thank you. 4. How can the 65+ woman category have 2 people in it and you lump the 40 - 65 year olds into 1 category? I know you said that if there was 5 or under it would go to the next category, but 2 is 2 and not 5. So the category should have been 40+. There was another screwy one with the men also. 5. The kids categories were crazy also. 6. You collected about $25,000 for that race, but you cannot announce what the grand prizes are going to be??? We don't expect a car like in the past....7. The vests do not come close to fitting a lot of the men.. 8. The grooming on the course was ridiculous especially considering the flat flat flat light conditions. There was a 6" ledge, deep cat tracks, and crazy chunks of ice. 9. It is a great thing and I realize it is a lot of work, but $25 is a lot of money for a race without any freebies. Not even a pretzel or the hat the guy was showing off. He is hard to understand, but we assume he was saying we could buy them in the future.... Thanks Mr. Peak for listening

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Do review the Hunter Cup race process - I know it is a big race and new to the staff BUT - 1. A raffle prize is a prize. Why do not all winners take the prize that they won and be happy? Why did the coach's kid get to trade in (after other prizes were drawn) get to decide he does not want the swag t shirt he won and get to trade it for a puffer jacket? 2. Then another favored kid got to shop the table and hold up the process? 3. I took what I won and said thank you. 4. How can the 65+ woman category have 2 people in it and you lump the 40 - 65 year olds into 1 category? I know you said that if there was 5 or under it would go to the next category, but 2 is 2 and not 5. So the category should have been 40+. There was another screwy one with the men also. 5. The kids categories were crazy also. 6. You collected about $25,000 for that race, but you cannot announce what the grand prizes are going to be??? We don't expect a car like in the past....7. The vests do not come close to fitting a lot of the men.. 8. The grooming on the course was ridiculous especially considering the flat flat flat light conditions. There was a 6" ledge, deep cat tracks, and crazy chunks of ice. 9. It is a great thing and I realize it is a lot of work, but $25 is a lot of money for a race without any freebies. Not even a pretzel or the hat the guy was showing off. He is hard to understand, but we assume he was saying we could buy them in the future.... Thanks Mr. Peak for listening

There were prizes? My son won 1st overall and had to leave. I stayed to get his medal. And they made 2250.00 on the race not 25K. Mind you this race was planned before the takeover. 25$ for a race, try FIS and USSA racing....Thats a bargain. Just my 2-cents. I do agree about the category issues, but give them a chance. Have you ever helped run/organize a race? I have, lot more that goes into it thank you think.

catskillman

There were prizes? My son won 1st overall and had to leave. I stayed to get his medal. And they made 2250.00 on the race not 25K. Mind you this race was planned before the takeover. 25$ for a race, try FIS and USSA racing....Thats a bargain. Just my 2-cents. I do agree about the category issues, but give them a chance. Have you ever helped run/organize a race? I have, lot more that goes into it thank you think.
There were prizes - hats, gloves, poles, clothing, wax..... A lot of people left before the prizes were handed out. They held it up for some dispute over times or age of one of the boys groups and then had to re distribute the medals... they should have sorted that out and did the right thing. By holding it up.. they lose credibility.... they would have made it right. Got a lecture about how to write ligibly and enter on line ........ Forgot about this - you had to be there to win. But someone woman who must of been someone would not let her kids prize (poles that were twice the size of the kid and too long for her Dad) be redrawn as the kid was outside playing in the snow...so they gave her 5 minutes.... so unfair. a rule is a rule and folks stayed and a lot of kids did not win anything.

goldsbar

Do review the Hunter Cup race process ...

Given the fate of NASTAR and a complete lack of interest by the general skiing public (let alone the general public), any review of racing by a serious business would probably have them cancelling it. $25++ is standard 5k running race entry fee for some supposed charity event. You can find some club events at local parks for around $10, but that requires almost no work other than spray painting some arrows on the grass.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Peaks at the NH mountains (can't speak for Snow) typically buries terrain before moving onward. If the base is thin on a preexisting trail then they won't force open new terrain until resurfacing is complete. Especially with an extended cold coming it makes sense that they'd do this.

You're absolutely correct! Was there today and will be there tomorrow, they're pounding it out!! Last week I saw more guns on then I've ever seen before and I've been coming for over 30+ years!!!!!

Was standing at the top at 3:45pm Sunday, all of a sudden all the guns come on. Like all of them. Way cool. Heard K27 was awesome today.

catskillman

Was standing at the top at 3:45pm Sunday, all of a sudden all the guns come on. Like all of them. Way cool. Heard K27 was awesome today.

that new compressor is really something from what I understand. They should have bought it years ago, David would have had a lot of fun with it. I still see him around, miss him...... Heard all the local motion teams want him!

Funky_Catskills

The amount of guns they have on seems to be way more than in past years...

It's just under freezing in the valley and the guns are on...

I'm loving this!!

I see David in the bagel shop a lot... Sitting alone... I don't bug him.. :)