• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death at Cannon

Puck it

Why would / should FSC have anything to do with skier safety measures on non-venue trails? Netting is used at other mountains and I'm sure it's not all maintained by racing organizations. This should be a ski patrol / mountain ops duty and one that is maintained daily.
I agree. This is a safety issue and has nothing to do with racing. They used to have netting on the bottom of Skylight and now is gone.

57stevey

There is some sort of fencing at the bottom of TBD trail, so I should think it can be accomplished elsewhere on the premises...

Brad J

With such a strong racing history at Cannon, one would think that the installation of some permanent A-netting in that area, given its apparent propensity for serious accidents involving skiers going off the maintained trail surface and into the woods would be an obvious answer to reduce risk without having to do some additional serious tree cutting and/or regrading of that area

Please no more tree cutting!!!!!! The top IMO has been cut to much as it is!!!!!!!

Tin

Fencing is needed in those areas of Cannon, without question.

There is a bigger trend I've noticed this year (and I think Savemeasammy will agree given our chairlift discussions) and it is ski areas boosting trail counts by opening dangerous terrain to reduce traffic given the lack of open terrain. I'm not talking thin cover, I'm talking blue ice/bobsled tracks that there is little/no way of controlling speed on. I'm all for the "skier's code" and not skiing above ones' ability, but when some skiers/boarders on this forum (some of which are as damn close to expert skiers as you will find on here) mention that an intermediate trail such as Ravine was "un-edgeable" should not be open, that should make people think for a second. How can a ski area advertise that trail as open to unsuspecting intermediate level skiers and not be negligent in doing so?

And I'm not talking about "boilerplate" or "hard pack", I'm talking about this type of "glare ice" bull shit (yanked from VT-freeheel @ TGR). This is an "advanced" trail at Sugarbush but I think we have all seen similar conditions on lower ability trails this year. Imagine coming down and going to make a turn with the flow of the trail.
8H2A4617_zpsdg1n9vuz.jpg

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think anyone wants all 20+ miles of trails at Cannon lined with fencing. A couple hundred feet here and there in dangerous spots with repeated tragic accidents isn't going to kill the aesthetics of the place. As mentioned by someone else prior in this thread, one alternative would be cutting trees and regrading. To me that approach destroys character and aesthetics much more. We've all seen way too much of that on old school classic trails around the Northeast.

cdskier

I don't think anyone wants all 20+ miles of trails at Cannon lined with fencing. A couple hundred feet here and there in dangerous spots with repeated tragic accidents isn't going to kill the aesthetics of the place.

Right. I'd rather see an occasional fence instead of people being seriously hurt in dangerous spots. If a ski area needed too much fencing, then to me that indicates a deeper problem...

Funky_Catskills

Regrading isn't the answer to me..
Knowing you limits and anticipating terrain changes is the answer - at least to me.

I'd rather see a warning sign at the top than a fence.
Fences always remind me of the Poconos...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Regrading isn't the answer to me..
Knowing you limits and anticipating terrain changes is the answer - at least to me.

I'd rather see a warning sign at the top than a fence.
Fences always remind me of the Poconos...

As has been mentioned this spot is on a blue trail. Several expert level skiers and snowboarders struggled with the conditions on Saturday.

So, if fencing isn't the answer, nor is regrading, then that leaves two options: either ski patrol closes a trail (which could result in over zealous terrain closures anytime a trail gets icy) or we just deal with repeated deaths in the trouble spots.

A warning sign on a blue trail isn't likely to be even read, never mind heeded.

Jcb890

If you like fencing or not, it should be used in certain spots for safety reasons. It could have saved a life last weekend. What's the argument against fencing? That the mountain doesn't look as natural in a 50/100' spot where some orange/yellow fencing is? On turns like that, the trail would probably benefit from fencing AND a warning sign about a sharp/dangerous turn approaching... perhaps some small yellow reflectors or something with arrows, similar to what highways do for sharp turns.

Funky_Catskills

As has been mentioned this spot is on a blue trail. Several expert level skiers and snowboarders struggled with the conditions on Saturday.

So, if fencing isn't the answer, nor is regrading, then that leaves two options: either ski patrol closes a trail (which could result in over zealous terrain closures anytime a trail gets icy) or we just deal with repeated deaths in the trouble spots.

A warning sign on a blue trail isn't likely to be even read, never mind heeded.

Cool... Everyone be safe.. Read signs.. ignore them...whatever...

I just don't like seeing fences..