• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing with a Bruised Rib

Dick Gazinya

Just suck it up, smoke a couple Jays on the way and man up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

yeggous

I have an extra mug at Wildcat. That might help with the pain. Apparently all of the cool kids are going to be there Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

DoublePlanker

Bruised ribs are no fun! It seems everything that engages the core will cause some pain. That pretty much means every activity including walking or sitting.

I think its just a pain tolerance issue. Taking it easy at first seems like a good idea. so go for it! and enjoy yourself!

jaybird

Think it all the way through.
Firm conditions are likely all over.
The hip won't matter much unless you fall.
Cracked/bruised ribs only hurt if you breathe.

Sik's suggestion is worth considering.

jrmagic

It really comes down to pain tolerance. I started skiing again 2 weeks after breaking three ribs in a brutal collision. I'd its really really firm the chatter won't be fun but if conditions are reasonable or better it can be a lot of fun as long as you are smart about it.

Bostonian

It really comes down to pain tolerance. I started skiing again 2 weeks after breaking three ribs in a brutal collision. I'd its really really firm the chatter won't be fun but if conditions are reasonable or better it can be a lot of fun as long as you are smart about it.

Man you're a trooper! even if I take just one run from the top I will be happy.

jrmagic

Man you're a trooper! even if I take just one run from the top I will be happy.

My first day back my goal was one run. I took a nice easy cruiser and conditions were really good so I kept on going. I certainly wasn't in charging mode but I made several runs down some intermediate terrain keeping it slow and smooth.

Warp Daddy

Is the advice given here Collective wisdom here OR Pooled Ignorance ???

weight the outcomes a couple of minutes of marginal skiing fun to fill a perceived need versus reinjury , more pain and ache and a longer recovery possibly screwing up other off season activities..

H'mmm what d ya think ?

Bostonian

Is the advice given here Collective wisdom here OR Pooled Ignorance ???

weight the outcomes a couple of minutes of marginal skiing fun to fill a perceived need versus reinjury , more pain and ache and a longer recovery possibly screwing up other off season activities..

H'mmm what d ya think ?

Well off season activities would be sitting at the beach, using the boat and mowing the lawn. Nothing too exciting. If I do go up there Sunday, I will stick to snowcat at first. I don't want to get even more hurt. However, I am icing my ribs, taking advil, and keeping it easy. I did pull my damn groin though yesterday. But if I feel that I am not up physically up to it by Saturday afternoon - then I will most likely pass.

Savemeasammy

Well off season activities would be sitting at the beach, using the boat and mowing the lawn. Nothing too exciting. If I do go up there Sunday, I will stick to snowcat at first. I don't want to get even more hurt. However, I am icing my ribs, taking advil, and keeping it easy. I did pull my damn groin though yesterday. But if I feel that I am not up physically up to it by Saturday afternoon - then I will most likely pass.

I've also bruised some ligaments in my groin. THAT was an injury that definitely made it difficult to ski.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Warp Daddy

Groin pull is worse than the hip replacement i had in mid OCT , the hip healed fine groin issues are freaking nasty

.Iliosoas tendon ( groin) is aching now for damn near 18'months had pt . I am now going to do ultrasound and ionphoresis to get that sucker in order . Its a long achy process. so i agree Sammy ,hard to ski with one and IF it gets worse ur in for a loooong rehab son . Yeah i skied on one too but damn thing only got worse not better .

Trust me it isnt worth a few runs in the long run ......i love to ski but i wished id been smarter about giving the body time to heal

Jully

Groin pull is worse than the hip replacement i had in mid OCT , the hip healed fine groin issues are freaking nasty

.Iliosoas tendon ( groin) is aching now for damn near 18'months had pt . I am now going to do ultrasound and ionphoresis to get that sucker in order . Its a long achy process. so i agree Sammy ,hard to ski with one and IF it gets worse ur in for a loooong rehab son . Yeah i skied on one too but damn thing only got worse not better .

Trust me it isnt worth a few runs in the long run ......i love to ski but i wished id been smarter about giving the body time to heal

Ionphoresis must hurt real bad and or feel super screwed up on the groin. Yikes. Gotta do what you gotta do though!

Last edited:

bigbog

Your ribs may scream at you but your feet will never forgive you if you don't get up on the mountain for another day!
Man, that's an area where you're getting into the pleasure of those twistin' lower ribs...but then all of a sudden...PAIN:eek:...PAIN...shoots around your upperbody.