Fatality at Burke Mountain

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fatality at Burke Mountain

Snowcat operator dies:
    https://vtdigger.org/2017/12/18/man-...urke-mountain/

These things are truly awful and remind me of all of the risks taken by staff.

Very sad. RIP.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Brian

No bueno, sad to hear and avoidable.
    "I don't know what this is, but I know whatever it is, it is what it is." - A Quiros....2014 Deposition

That's awful news. Really sad to hear.
    SoVT

Snowmakers are some of the most directly unappreciated employees at most any ski area. We all seem to love the fruits of their labor, but how many of us have actually stopped by the side of a trail when we see them and say "thank you" to them?

The conditions they work in, especially the night shift, are tough to say the least!

HKD snowmakers, the folks that make the orange colored snow guns we now see across a huge swath of ski areas has started a social media attempt to get those who make the snow that we all enjoy, some added appreciation for what they do by using #thankasnowmaker in photos of either running snowguns and/or the finished whales. So don't forget to occasionally take the time to stop and thank them when you see them on the hill. I can say from personally having done it many, many times now, they are appreciative, and often will let you know certain trails where the product may be a bit dryer and nicer than others.

And I hope that the tight knit community at Burke is able to effectively grieve and get past this tragic event...
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7,14,15,21,26,27,28,29,30 (Mount Snow) 16 (Mount Southington) 22 (Okemo) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 1,4,5,11,12,18,19,20,25,26 (Mount Snow) 6,13,23,27 (Mount Southington)
    February: 1,2,15,16,22,23 (Mount Snow) 3,5,12 (Mount Southington) 8 (Bromley) 9 (Stratton) 17 (Pico) 29 (Burke)
    March: 1,14 (Mount Snow) 2 (Mount Southington) 5,6,7 (Cannon) 8 (Loon)

Neither driver or passenger wearing seatbelts and both were ejected. It's a tragedy either way, but I work in the transportation/trucking industry and not wearing your seatbelt while driving is considered such a serious issue that people can and do get terminated for getting caught without it. It's the single biggest factor in preventing fatalities and I'd rather fire you for not wearing it than have to go visit your family and tell them you're not ever coming back home from work. Going on 18 years in transportation and I've never had to make that visit. I'd like to make that an entire career.

I tell our group of drivers (approx 100) that I'll leave them alone about wearing their seatbelt if they get caught without it on but in return they have to first bring in their wife/parents/significant other and introduce them to me so that if I have to go give them the "never coming home again" message that won't be the first time I've met them. That usually gets the message through.

Heard this morning. Very sad news. Word has it he was a 27-year veteran of the mountain. A familiar face for a lot of folks.

Someone else posted that the clouds this morning looked like angel wings over the mountain.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Neither driver or passenger wearing seatbelts and both were ejected. It's a tragedy either way, but I work in the transportation/trucking industry and not wearing your seatbelt while driving is considered such a serious issue that people can and do get terminated for getting caught without it. It's the single biggest factor in preventing fatalities and I'd rather fire you for not wearing it than have to go visit your family and tell them you're not ever coming back home from work. Going on 18 years in transportation and I've never had to make that visit. I'd like to make that an entire career.

I tell our group of drivers (approx 100) that I'll leave them alone about wearing their seatbelt if they get caught without it on but in return they have to first bring in their wife/parents/significant other and introduce them to me so that if I have to go give them the "never coming home again" message that won't be the first time I've met them. That usually gets the message through.

Kind of a difference between wearing a seatbelts for trucking and riding in a vehicle that is is typically driving short distances between snow guns. There are probably some sort of OHSA regulations on wearing belts in these types of vehicles but I haven't heard any details on any of that. Not that it matters to me.
    But way to point out that you have a infallible policy. And kudos to you for assigning pointed blame on a terrible accident.
    You can see my photos here - http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Someone else posted that the clouds this morning looked like angel wings over the mountain.
    Hope that's a sign he's now in a better place.
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Quote Originally Posted by from_the_NEK View Post

Kind of a difference between wearing a seatbelts for trucking and riding in a vehicle that is is typically driving short distances between snow guns. There are probably some sort of OHSA regulations on wearing belts in these types of vehicles but I haven't heard any details on any of that. Not that it matters to me.
    But way to point out that you have a infallible policy. And kudos to you for assigning pointed blame on a terrible accident.
    I'm sure there's a rule in place, and that most if not all Safety Admins at all resorts are now reviewing it with their employees. Heck, on GoldRush Friday night, the Owners Kid got a 30K fine from MSHA for riding in a offroad vehicle from the equipment he was operating, to the office for a Safety Meeting. Just so happened that the MSHA inspector happened to be there already, and withnessed it. Rules for a reason.

Sad that Burke has lost a longtime dedicated employee.

Thread Information