Its snowing!!!!!! - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    4) Nobody has their snow tires on yet. Check.
    Of course in NJ most people don't even have snow tires to put on in the first place.

So glad I worked from home yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Of course in NJ most people don't even have snow tires to put on in the first place.

So glad I worked from home yesterday.
    ...and yet, they'll own every electronic gadget known to man!

Quote Originally Posted by MEtoVTSkier View Post
    ...and yet, they'll own every electronic gadget known to man!
    As an NJ resident, and owner of many electronic gadgets, I've have also owned snow tires. It's amazing how much better they are in winter weather. I had a set on my RWD BMW. It basically put my car on par with AWD cars with all season tires. A set of snows on AWD is basically bulletproof. If I lived year round in the mountains, I would go AWD + snows.

That said, I never put them on before Thanksgiving. Usually I would put them on that weekend. The early season snowfall would rarely last for more than a day.

I was working in NYC yesterday. I usually take the bus, so when I heard the Port Authority was closed, I diverted to the train in Hoboken. All the trains were delayed, I finally got one that dropped me off in a neighboring town, took an Uber for the final few miles. 4 hours to get home - and I was barely on the roads. The commute should take 70 minutes.

The biggest problem with the roads is that they weren't pre-treated.

Quote Originally Posted by ghughes20 View Post
    That said, I never put them on before Thanksgiving. Usually I would put them on that weekend. The early season snowfall would rarely last for more than a day.
    Yea, last week or two of November is when I put mine on so I'm ready for going up to VT starting in December.

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Snows go on next week. I am so glad I work from home!

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Yea, last week or two of November is when I put mine on so I'm ready for going up to VT starting in December.
    Similar.

I put mine on "this" weekend each year, because we head to northern Vermont every Thanksgiving.

I do have one of the heaviest vehicles on the road, which is AWD to boot, so with snow tires on that sucker I feel pretty solid in the snow. My wife has a small vehicle, but it's an AWD Subaru with snow tires, and we drove that thing to Whiteface last year in a POUNDING snowstorm (stupid maybe?) and it felt safe/solid.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Our Outback was spectacular yesterday

It took me 6 hours to get to Killington Thursday night from CT, usually a 3.5 hour drive. An average speed of 30mph is pretty good I'd assume. Maybe 10 cars passed me from CT to VT. I didn't hit anything really sketchy but I've never seen so many people pulled off to the side or in a ditch. Vermont local roads were deserted. On Rt 103 by Chester I pulled over, peed, and cleaned off my windshield wipers (so maybe 5 minutes total elapsed time) not a single vehicle in either direction passed me.

The inevitable AWD vs FWD debate again? A FWD vehicle with snow tires will be acceptable in the majority of snowstorms in the Northeast (as long as you don't have to stop before a hill). Unless you're going up a crazy steep local road, dealing with snowfall rates of 2-3" per hour, or are in a shitty ski resort parking lot... FWD with GOOD SNOW TIRES will be enough.
    2019-2020 19 days and counting...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/7, 12/8, 12/21, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29
    Killington: 11/15, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23 Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/2, 12/24 Jiminy Peak: 12/6 Catamount: 12/13 Pico: 12/19 Mohawk: 12/27
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    It took me 6 hours to get to Killington Thursday night from CT, usually a 3.5 hour drive. An average speed of 30mph is pretty good I'd assume. Maybe 10 cars passed me from CT to VT. I didn't hit anything really sketchy but I've never seen so many people pulled off to the side or in a ditch. Vermont local roads were deserted. On Rt 103 by Chester I pulled over, peed, and cleaned off my windshield wipers (so maybe 5 minutes total elapsed time) not a single vehicle in either direction passed me.
    Sounds really similar to the Thanksgiving storm we had a few years back. It was wet roads until about Bernardston Mass. From there to the VT line was an epic shiteshow. I stopped counting after we saw 12 cars off the road. A tractor trailer was stuck on the hill just after the Welcome Center. We usually get off exit two or three. We jumped off exit 1 and went through downtown to pick up 30. One of the rare times it was quicker to drive through downtown Bratt.
    SoVT

Thread Information