IKON Adds Zermatt - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Remember all the math changes with the exchange rate at the time of your trip. Growing up, my father would take us out west or to Europe depending on the exchange rate that year, some years it was cheaper to ski Europe than out west. With the EU it makes it easier to figure the exchange rate than pre EU, when you had to figure each country’s rate separately. I did visit Zermat, but we stayed in Cervinia, it took us the whole day to take the lifts up, ski into Zermat, have lunch, then take the lifts back to Italy and ski back to our hotel. So basically we only got in two runs, but they were extremely long runs. We even had to take our skis off to cross runs and passed through someone’s farm.

There is nothing in the US that compares to that kind of skiing experience

Quote Originally Posted by heiusa View Post

There is nothing in the US that compares to that kind of skiing experience
    not true......at the catamount, you can ski from New York to Massachusetts and back agin....

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    That’s because you’re eating local food instead pf McDonald.

c'mon now...pf mcdonald's is every bit as good as pf chang's.

food fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco DaSkia View Post
    c'mon now...pf mcdonald's is every bit as good as pf chang's.

food fact.
    no, mcdonald is 3 times better than any local food because it costs 3 times as much

fact, or should be spell fake.

$150 is pretty average in many ski destination in the northeast! See Zand's post above for "in season" pricing.

That's another mistake. Take the train all the way from Zurich. No parking cost! (no rental car cost either)

In season, you'll have the option of "Half Board", which includes breakfast and dinner.

All in all, it's a flawed deduction that just because your cost during off season, renting a car, eating American food, is expensive, cost for ski season will be "outrageous".
    We didn't make any "mistakes"-- as I mentioned, this was not a ski trip. I did not include cost of car rental in my estimates because we were using that as transportation in Italy, and where a direct train was not an option. The "american" food in Zermatt was not only 3x the cost it is here, but it was also 3x the cost it was in Milan Italy. I checked on our hotel bill and it was actually 190/night for a middle of the road hotel in the off season, which breaks down to approximately 100 per person per night. Not cheap.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    We didn't make any "mistakes"-- as I mentioned, this was not a ski trip. I did not include cost of car rental in my estimates because we were using that as transportation in Italy, and where a direct train was not an option. The "american" food in Zermatt was not only 3x the cost it is here, but it was also 3x the cost it was in Milan Italy. I checked on our hotel bill and it was actually 190/night for a middle of the road hotel in the off season, which breaks down to approximately 100 per person per night. Not cheap.
    I didn't mean it a "mistake" you rented cars for your trip. But it's a mistake to include that in the calculation for pricing a ski trip to Zermatt, which would work far better by taking a train straight from the airport, as one would typically not going anywhere else but staying put the whole time.

Also, you were implying hotels cost more in the winter at Zermatt. I'm not sure that's a valid assumption.

So what kind of skiing would there be for my wife who is strong Vermont intermediate who can ski everything Blue at Stowe and Killington and some Blacks if they are groomed. She struggles with eastern moguls but does better in new snow when compared to hard moguls.

She thinks all the skiing in the Alps is what you see in Ski Films...
    2019-2020

Ski Visits in PA 38
    Ski Visits in VT 6
    Ski Visits in CO 4

Total Ski Visits 48

Ski Roundtop
    11/16, 11/17, 11/23, 12/20 (LR), 12/21, 12/22, 12/23, 12/26 (LR), 12/27 (LR), 12/28, 12/30 (LR), 12/31 (LR), 1/2 (LR), 1/3 (LR), 1/5, 1/17 (LR), 1/18, 1/20, 1/24 (LR), 1/26, 2/1, 2/2, 2/3, 2/14 (LR), 2/15, 2/16, 2/28 (LR), 2/29, 3/1, 3/2 (LR), 3/5 (LR), 3/6 (LR), 3/7, 3/8, 3/13 (LR), 3/14
    Breckenridge 1/9,1/10
    Keystone 1/11
    Arapahoe Basin 1/12
    Montage Mountain 1/27, 1/28
    Stowe 2/7, 2/8, 2/9
    Killington 2/22
    Okemo 2/23, 2/24

LR=Lunch Runs

Quote Originally Posted by jimmywilson69 View Post
    So what kind of skiing would there be for my wife who is strong Vermont intermediate who can ski everything Blue at Stowe and Killington and some Blacks if they are groomed. She struggles with eastern moguls but does better in new snow when compared to hard moguls.

She thinks all the skiing in the Alps is what you see in Ski Films...
    Zermatt is a mostly intermediate mountain with a lot of traverses. She’ll be fine.

0979D1A6-68C8-4886-8A3D-50F1C5F97EE3.jpg

835C06C4-DC4A-4E36-A8FD-BA39E0325C51.jpg

46B3A2F2-B817-4F74-B7A8-FB95F2DCF4BF.jpg

And if she ain’t.... just remember to pay the extra 3 francs for ski patrol to scrape what’s left of her off the side of the mountain .

E3F95600-343C-4AF2-80BA-C6BDE646B978.jpg

Easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmywilson69 View Post
    So what kind of skiing would there be for my wife who is strong Vermont intermediate who can ski everything Blue at Stowe and Killington and some Blacks if they are groomed.
    Practically ALL
    European resorts groom the hell out of ALL of their runs!............................................. ........................

(something really screwy about the formatting, can't move to the left of center of page except by filling the end of the lines with garbage!)
    Last edited by abc; Sep 4, 2019 at 9:27 AM.

Practically ALL European resorts groom the hell out of ALL of their runs!
    Thank you, you just made me feel incalculably better about never having skied in Europe.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information