IKON Adds Zermatt - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 78
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Thank you, you just made me feel incalculably better about never having skied in Europe.
    You just missed the entire point. Almost all of them Euro folks stay on them super groomer trails. They don’t even go 1 foot off of ‘em. There can be endless amounts of powder literally just feet off of a trail that is completely clogged with people and it is not being skied at all. You can git plenty of powder fer yer self by heading just slightly off piste.....


    71263421-C3B0-48D9-A8FF-3D03F69D54E9.jpg




    Most of those tracks were mine..... lap after lap, right under the lift, with no competition. Twas sweet.






    fact.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco DaSkia View Post
    You just missed the entire point. Almost all of them Euro folks stay on them super groomer trails. They don’t even go 1 foot off of ‘em. There can be endless amounts of powder literally just feet off of a trail that is completely clogged with people and it is not being skied at all. You can git plenty of powder fer yer self by heading just slightly off piste.....


    71263421-C3B0-48D9-A8FF-3D03F69D54E9.jpg


    Most of those tracks were mine..... lap after lap, right under the lift, with no competition. Twas sweet.






    fact.
    +1. Just don't go off piste on a glacier without a guide, or at least good knowledge of the area.

    Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

  3. #43
    ThinkSnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bad Liver Valley, VT
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    I didn't mean it a "mistake" you rented cars for your trip. But it's a mistake to include that in the calculation for pricing a ski trip to Zermatt, which would work far better by taking a train straight from the airport, as one would typically not going anywhere else but staying put the whole time.

    Also, you were implying hotels cost more in the winter at Zermatt. I'm not sure that's a valid assumption.
    Why take my word for it? I checked the same hotel website for 2020. In February cost of the least expensive room for 4 weeknights is 300/night with 1/2 board included. Room with Breakfast only is 220/night. Compare that to 4 weeknights in late May- same time frame when I visited- same room does not have the 1/2 board option, so room & breakfast is 145/night. But hey, what do I know?
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley
    Posts
    3,697
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    Why take my word for it? I checked the same hotel website for 2020. In February cost of the least expensive room for 4 weeknights is 300/night with 1/2 board included. Room with Breakfast only is 220/night. Compare that to 4 weeknights in late May- same time frame when I visited- same room does not have the 1/2 board option, so room & breakfast is 145/night. But hey, what do I know?
    Hmmm... since I don't have the hotel in question in hand, I have no choice but to "take your word for it"!

    February is peak season. That's the European school holiday period. Just like our President's week, only it spreads across multiple weeks as different countries have different week.

    When I say $150/night in the Rockies, I did not include President's week. You'll have to book far in advance to even get lodging in some resorts (Big Sky for example), at significantly elevated price.

    It wouldn't surprise me if Zermatt is more expensive than other European resorts. Nor am I arguing it isn't. Just that I've been to some other areas that others considered "expensive" only to find they're just... have range of options not that different everywhere else!

  5. #45
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,732
    Switzerland in general is pretty expensive.

    Less so if you're going solo or as a couple, much easier to skimp on some things to save a bit.

    Not the case for a family of 5 like mine. Good luck finding a decent travel package to Zermatt for less than 5 figures for a family of 5.

  6. #46
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    28,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco DaSkia View Post
    You just missed the entire point. Almost all of them Euro folks stay on them super groomer trails. They don’t even go 1 foot off of ‘em. There can be endless amounts of powder literally just feet off of a trail that is completely clogged with people and it is not being skied at all. You can git plenty of powder fer yer self by heading just slightly off piste.....


    71263421-C3B0-48D9-A8FF-3D03F69D54E9.jpg


    Most of those tracks were mine..... lap after lap, right under the lift, with no competition. Twas sweet.






    fact.
    Very true.

    I loved that side of the mountain--nobody over there and the new chair was pretty sweet.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Switzerland in general is pretty expensive.

    Less so if you're going solo or as a couple, much easier to skimp on some things to save a bit.

    Not the case for a family of 5 like mine. Good luck finding a decent travel package to Zermatt for less than 5 figures for a family of 5.


    Easy, just join a ski club. Our club went to Zermatt last January. The cost was $1775 per person out of Syracuse New York. The cost included airfare round-trip plus ground transportation, the 7 nights in a hotel in the center of town, plus all breakfasts and dinners for 7 days and a free cocktail and cheese reception upon arrival. The cost for the one family of five that went with us was $8875. The only thing not included was the lift tickets. And that was only because we could not get a discount on the lift tickets to pass on to our club members. If you’re going on the Ikon pass then that will not be an issue for you.

    Lunch was free pocket sandwiches made from the breakfast bar.


    9480376F-4659-4F79-9A48-E31A21E7062F.jpg





    Oh, and as one of the trip leaders, my trip was free. I’m telling you, it’s worth it to join a ski club. Skiing doesn’t have to be expensive....








    fact.

  8. #48
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco DaSkia View Post
    Easy, just join a ski club. Our club went to Zermatt last January. The cost was $1775 per person out of Syracuse New York. The cost included airfare round-trip plus ground transportation, the 7 nights in a hotel in the center of town, plus all breakfasts and dinners for 7 days and a free cocktail and cheese reception upon arrival. The cost for the one family of five that went with us was $8875. The only thing not included was the lift tickets. And that was only because we could not get a discount on the lift tickets to pass on to our club members. If you’re going on the Ikon pass then that will not be an issue for you.

    Lunch was free pocket sandwiches made from the breakfast bar.


    9480376F-4659-4F79-9A48-E31A21E7062F.jpg





    Oh, and as one of the trip leaders, my trip was free. I’m telling you, it’s worth it to join a ski club. Skiing doesn’t have to be expensive....








    fact.
    So the cost of $8875 for a family of 5 was $8875 without ski passes. This leaves $1125 or $225 per person for ski passes.

    We are eastern skiers who spend the majority of our ski time at eastern resorts. No offense to skiers at these hills, but the eastern offerings on either EPIC or IKON kind of suck save for 2 places: Wildcat or Stowe. Both of those are around 5 1/2 hours one way from where we live.

    So as eastern skiers who drive each week to go skiing neither the IKON or EPIC pass offers us anything good in the east, save for Stowe and Wildcat which are just too far away for us. I would never ski 50 days a season if I had to drive 5 1/2 hours each way every week.

    Which brings me back to my original post...you can't bring a family of 5 to Switzerland for less than 5 figures (unless you buy either EPIC or IKON, and those cost far more than $225 each); your example inadvertently just proved me correct, assuming that IKON and EPIC don't take over the areas I have passes for (Killington/Pico and NYS 3 in 1 for Gore, Whiteface and Belleayre). You are never going to pay for a week of lift tickets for a family of 5 for less than $225 each.

    So, no way a family of 5 skis in Switzerland for less than 5 figures.

    EDIT: I admire you for getting the free accomodations for being a group leader. I don't have the patience to deal with being a group leader.
    Last edited by JimG.; Sep 5, 2019 at 11:32 AM.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley
    Posts
    3,697
    The title of this thread is “IKON adds Zermatt”.

    Its only fair to assume everyone reading this thread either has Ikon pass, or at least considering buying one, in which case the addition of Zermatt may tip the scale!

  10. #50
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,732
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    The title of this thread is “IKON adds Zermatt”.

    Its only fair to assume everyone reading this thread either has Ikon pass, or at least considering buying one, in which case the addition of Zermatt may tip the scale!
    My post was not directed at EPIC/IKON participation.

    You mentioned that Switzerland is not as expensive as people think, Thinksnow replied that Switzerland is very expensive. I am agreeing with him. Bosco refuted my assertion that you can't bring a family of 5 for less than 5 figures but I disagree and proved it. Even if you have the multi passes you're going to pay 5 figures for a family of 5.

    Nothing against Switzerland or EPIC/IKON. At the risk of being accused of privilege, my mom was Swiss and quite the skier so I have been to Switzerland skiing many times. Been to Zermatt, Davos, St. Moritz more times than I can remember. I learned to ski at these places and have nothing but awesome memories. But even back then Switzerland was expensive.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.