IKON Adds Zermatt - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 78
  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    The title of this thread is “IKON adds Zermatt”.



    Its only fair to assume everyone reading this thread either has Ikon pass, or at least considering buying one, in which case the addition of Zermatt may tip the scale!
    I disagree. I'm reading the thread but don't have Ikon and have no intentions of buying one. Just like I'll read any threads with "Epic" in the title. I still think these threads can have useful info and they often go off on tangents anyway so there's no reason to avoid it just because I don't have Ikon and am not considering it.

  2. #52

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley
    Posts
    3,697
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    My post was not directed at EPIC/IKON participation.
    Yeah?
    We are eastern skiers who spend the majority of our ski time at eastern resorts. No offense to skiers at these hills, but the eastern offerings on either EPIC or IKON kind of suck save for 2 places: Wildcat or Stowe. Both of those are around 5 1/2 hours one way from where we live.

    So as eastern skiers who drive each week to go skiing neither the IKON or EPIC pass offers us anything good in the east, save for Stowe and Wildcat which are just too far away for us. I would never ski 50 days a season if I had to drive 5 1/2 hours each way every week.
    YOU may not be talking about IKON in connection to the discussion to Zermatt. But other people are.

    Your monologue against EPIC/IKON is irrelevant in this context.
    Last edited by abc; Sep 5, 2019 at 12:06 PM.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley
    Posts
    3,697
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I disagree. I'm reading the thread but don't have Ikon and have no intentions of buying one. Just like I'll read any threads with "Epic" in the title. I still think these threads can have useful info and they often go off on tangents anyway so there's no reason to avoid it just because I don't have Ikon and am not considering it.
    It is summer. We're bored. So people are reading threads even though it probably don't relate to where they ski. Heck, I'm reading about threads on "Labrador vs Toggenburg vs Song"!

    But while any thread can "
    go off on tangents", one needs to keep in mind others may still be focusing on the original topic and ignoring the tangents. I'm not even suggesting the original topic has higher priority. But it's only logical that any statement needs to be read with the original (plus the tangential) context in mind.

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I disagree. I'm reading the thread but don't have Ikon and have no intentions of buying one. Just like I'll read any threads with "Epic" in the title.
    Same. I have no intention of buying an IKON or EPIC pass, and never will until/unless I become a local somewhere. That doesnt mean I don't keep up with ski industry & its' happenings. Not to mention, I think these mega passes are bad for our sport, so merely for that reason I keep up with how they're changing/morphing.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  5. #55
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,731
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Yeah?

    YOU may not be talking about IKON in connection to the discussion to Zermatt. But other people are.

    Your monologue against EPIC/IKON is irrelevant in this context.
    You need to ski.

    Not a rant against EPIC/IKON just a simple demo of why those passes make no sense for a skier like me. As such, there is no way my family of 5 is going to ski in Zermatt for less than 5 figures which was my only point.

    I doubt I am an outlier in that regard.

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley
    Posts
    3,697
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    You need to ski.

    I doubt I am an outlier in that regard.
    In case you didn’t notice, no mountains in the east are open right now!

    So any “skiing” will need to be getting on a plane. Clearly not suitable for a family of 5 under 10k

    You may not be an outlier, that doesn’t mean there’re many others NOT like you.

    I’ve been able to beat even the ski club prices by a big margin, even as a solo traveler. I would be able to do a family of 5 for under 5 figures. But it’s also obvious you are only using that number as a random justification for why you’re not the least bit interested.
    Last edited by abc; Sep 5, 2019 at 10:21 PM.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    But it’s also obvious you are only using that number as a random justification for why you’re not the least bit interested.
    It was obvious to me that he was merely using that number as a refutation for the dubious claim people were tossing around that skiing in Switzerland is not expensive. Whether it's $8,875 for a family of five with Epic Passes or $10,000+ for a family of five without is really beside the point. A ski vacation to Switzerland is not an inexpensive alternative to skiing in the Rockies for an east coast family of five. In fact, it's probably significantly more expensive.

  8. #58
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    It was obvious to me that he was merely using that number as a refutation for the dubious claim people were tossing around that skiing in Switzerland is not expensive. Whether it's $8,875 for a family of five with Epic Passes or $10,000+ for a family of five without is really beside the point. A ski vacation to Switzerland is not an inexpensive alternative to skiing in the Rockies for an east coast family of five. In fact, it's probably significantly more expensive.
    Thanks, you get it.

    After my youngest goes off to college next year we will be empty nesters. Perhaps after he graduates and is on his own my view of these multi east/west coast passes may change. No more tuition payments and the ability to get a smaller place and rent our current home will free up a lot of money.

    But for now they make no sense to me that is true. And I of course acknowledge that many skiers love EPIC/IKON. That's great. And even though I agree with BG that these passes are not good for the average skier who does not get a season pass, it's the new normal. I don't like Facebook or Amazon but acknowledge those businesses aren't going away either.

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Same. I have no intention of buying an IKON or EPIC pass, and never will until/unless I become a local somewhere. That doesnt mean I don't keep up with ski industry & its' happenings. Not to mention, I think these mega passes are bad for our sport, so merely for that reason I keep up with how they're changing/morphing.
    What's interesting is that this is the first European Resort to align with either IKON or Epic. I suspect this is the first domino to fall and we'll be seeing a lot of alignment shortly. As an existing IKON pass holder, and for someone that would like to ski Zermatt some day, this is a positive development.

    Any predictions which resort will be next? Val d'ISÈRE, Kitzbühel?

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley
    Posts
    3,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    It was obvious to me that he was merely using that number as a refutation for the dubious claim people were tossing around that skiing in Switzerland is not expensive. Whether it's $8,875 for a family of five with Epic Passes or $10,000+ for a family of five without is really beside the point. A ski vacation to Switzerland is not an inexpensive alternative to skiing in the Rockies for an east coast family of five. In fact, it's probably significantly more expensive.
    I don't think you get the point.

    The "dubious claim" was Switzerland is not as expensive as people thought. So let's examine what are people's "thought"? Right, "significantly more expensive"! So how significant is significant?

    That's why the number got put on the page.

    Is $10k for 5 "significantly more expensive"? That's 2k per person. Compare to where in the west? Salt Lake City? Reno? Breckenridge? Big Sky? Whistler?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:27 PM.