IKON Adds Zermatt - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    Obviously you are joking. Was in Zermatt last year between ski and summer seasons (most lifts not running), to hike & see the Matterhorn. Unless you have a helicopter, there is only one way in or out- the train from Tasch, since Zermatt is an auto free town. Parking at Tasch is approximately 16 Swiss Francs per day. RT train to Zermatt is then 18 francs per person. Lodging varies- I think our hotel was about 150 per night- not high end and not low end, but remember this was off-season & no food was included. Food cost is outrageous. Since 75% of the village was closed for repairs in the off season, the few open restaurants pretty much all served the same thing. One option was McDonalds, and as an example, the cost of 2 value meals was approximately $35 (yes, US dollars after the conversion).
    You need to go more. Obviously it's more expensive than your home town, but compared to any western ski resort it is no different. Once the place becomes familiar you know where to eat, how to use the grocery store, how to use public transport, not to eat at McDonalds, etc....

Every additional year I went back I was able to spend less, do more and stay at better hotels.

2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Switzerland in general is pretty expensive.

Less so if you're going solo or as a couple, much easier to skimp on some things to save a bit.

Not the case for a family of 5 like mine. Good luck finding a decent travel package to Zermatt for less than 5 figures for a family of 5.
    IF you need a travel package or a travel agent to go to Switzerland you are doing it wrong...it's not north Korea.

Get a flight
    Get train tickets
    Get a hotel
    Skiing is included with your Ikon Pass
    Get the kids in Ski School (half the price as the US)
    Ski, eat, drink, enjoy
    2017/2018

We need snow to fall in the east
    Everyone has different amount of $ in life to spend. So what expensive to 1 person food ski trip or any thing is great ski value to some 1 elseeeeee�� Scottylanguage

Scotty, you rock!

Here are the actual costs from our President’s week trip to Zermatt in 2019 for 2 adults and 2 kids age 7 and 9. I would never go this week again, btw. Too crowded on the slopes with British tourists on half-term break. We stayed in Zermatt for 9 nights and skied 7 days. I am not including lift tickets assuming you have an Ikon Pass. Kids under 9 ski free btw. Assume Swiss Franc is close to par with USD.

$2,134 - Flight, Delta JFK-ZRH including Delta Comfort on the way there and Main Cabin on the way back (at the time there were no baggage fees)

$3,132 - 9 nights in two bedroom condo less than 5 minute walk to Matterhorn Express

$275 - Two adult round trip train tickets (includes $30 for an annual pass that allows the
    kids to ride for free). We buy the Super Saver Day passes as far in advance as possible.

$2,025 - Food, dining, etc. This is basically 225CHF per day. We buy breakfast supplies from Migros or Coop at very little cost. 80-100 CHF for lunch on the mountain in a restaurant with many beers (not in a cafeteria). 80-120 for Dinner in a mid range restaurant in town with many beers. Also eat in some nights to save money. Kids in ski school for 5 days and they get free lunch.

$1,178 - 5 days ski school for 2 kids

In 2018 we went in late January (after they get 10+ feet of snow in a few days) and paid $2,550 for 7 nights at a nicer condo (Haus Orgon). The mountain was totally empty.
    2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    I don't think you get the point.

The "dubious claim" was Switzerland is not as expensive as people thought. So let's examine what are people's "thought"? Right, "significantly more expensive"! So how significant is significant?

That's why the number got put on the page.

Is $10k for 5 "significantly more expensive"? That's 2k per person. Compare to where in the west? Salt Lake City? Reno? Breckenridge? Big Sky? Whistler?
    The issue is not whether $10K is significantly more than what a family of a five would expect to pay to ski out west (I suspect it is, but never having paid for a family of five to ski out west, I do not know).

The question is whether a family of five can ski Switzerland for less than $10,000, which is the only figure that anyone in this thread has offered as to what they think it costs to ski Switzerland. Someone else suggested that a family of five can ski Switzerland for $8,875 if you have an Epic Pass, book a trip through a ski club and fill your pockets with breakfast meats and rolls for lunch. An 11.25% discount doesn't seem significant to me (even ignoring the fact that it is economically incorrect to ignore the cost of the EPIC Pass in determining the cost of the trip). So, no - this thread has not shown that it is cheaper to ski Switzerland than you might think.

I take it all back. Don't go to Zermatt. The scenery is horrible and the people are jerks. The whole ski scene there is really a joke and don't even bother with the apres. It's pretty much like Vermont as you can see in my video from 2018.

2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    So, no - this thread has not shown that it is cheaper to ski Switzerland than you might think.
    Agreed. I'm completely agnostic here, but I was interested in the topic, and if ~9k is cutting some corners & assuming you must ski on EPIC, the sub $10k thing seems pretty doomed. I mean, I could suggest Ramen noodles to get even lower, but.....
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by ghughes20 View Post
    What's interesting is that this is the first European Resort to align with either IKON or Epic. I suspect this is the first domino to fall and we'll be seeing a lot of alignment shortly. As an existing IKON pass holder, and for someone that would like to ski Zermatt some day, this is a positive development.

Any predictions which resort will be next? Val d'ISÈRE, Kitzbühel?
    Umm, nope, you missed the boat. Epic was aligned last year in Europe and has increased it this year.

Les 3 Vallees, Skirama Dolomiti Adamello Brenta in Italy, and 4 Vallees in Switzerland are all a part of Epic Pass access.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    The issue is not whether $10K is significantly more than what a family of a five would expect to pay to ski out west (I suspect it is, but never having paid for a family of five to ski out west, I do not know).

So, no - this thread has not shown that it is cheaper to ski Switzerland than you might think.
    First, you're confusing Zermatt with Switzerland. I can tell you I DID ski 2 separate trips in Switzerland (one to Jungfrau, another to St Moritz) and BOTH cost less than $2000 including lift tickets and food. So on that figure, a family of 5 CAN ski Switzerland for under $10k.

Back to Zermatt, which is considered one of the more expensive resort even by the standard of Switzerland. I haven't been there so I will accept it may take over $10k for a family of 5. But, the more expensive resorts out west (Whistler, Big Sky etc.) will cost that similar amount. So Switzerland isn't significantly more expensive than skiing out west. Only if you compare the more expensive part of Switzerland the cheaper part of the west that you can conclude Switzerland is "significantly more expensive".

Or you could compare Aspen to Wildcat or Suicide 6 and conclude skiing out west is "significantly more expensive"

Thread Information