• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe or Okemo this weekend?

abc

where did you end up?
Ended up on a dentist’s chair!

What I thought was sinus issue turned out to be infected tooth! Had a root canal done. Now the pain is finally subsided, I can look forward to eating Christmas dinner. Weirdest tooth infection ever. But the condition isn’t hat great anyway, so I don’t feel like I missed much.

Now hoping this weekend’s storms pan out.

Smellytele

From my experience at Okemo yesterday. Short of the line for Sunburst 6, the crowds were light. The snow is decent, definitely got scraped off as the day went on. Lots of acreage open to spread the holiday week masses around on, even if most of the wider snowmaking terrain only has roughly 1/2 width with dependable snow on it where the guns can reach. And honestly, the weather yesterday (especially after about 11 when the clouds burned off) was so nice (upper 20's to low 30's, no wind and a Bluebird sky), that it was just one of those days where it was so nice just to be outside sliding down the hill enjoying the sport we all love so much!

Mt Snow light or actual light? ;-)

Edd

What I thought was sinus issue turned out to be infected tooth! Had a root canal done. Now the pain is finally subsided, I can look forward to eating Christmas dinner. Weirdest tooth infection ever. But the condition isn’t hat great anyway, so I don’t feel like I missed much.

I’ll bet conditions today were pretty good across the northeast. I’m bummed I missed it due to car problems.

drjeff

Mt Snow light or actual light? ;-)

The S6 on Sunday was generally in the 5 minute range all day from what I saw/experienced (Bascially the same as what the Bluebird was on Saturday) Most everything I rode at Okemo on Sunday (granted my racer Dad obligations didn't afford me the time to get over to the South Face area, but I did make it over mid day to the Quantum 4 in Jackson Gore) was maybe 10 chairs at most, which is basically what I saw on most other lifts at Mount Snow on Saturday.

Seemed "reasonable" to my typical world, and likely FAR less than what I will be dealing with the 26th through the 1st, short of 2 race days at Berkshire East on the 30th and 31st!! LOL!

tnt1234

Ouch!

Glad that got cleared out for you.

big_vert

If you've never been or barely skied Okemo give it a shot. As much as people hate on the place it is absolutely massive. .

You're talking about Nokemo in Vermont? Massive? Okemo?

I guess there must be two of them or something.

abc

A solid #8. Yes. MASSIVE
Out of a total of some hundreds of mountains in the east? Yes, it deserves the "massive" description!

What you call "no personality", others will call consistency and predictability.

That said, I won't be going there that often. A few times a season is just about right. I'd prefer to mix it up rather than trying to squeeze the hell out of a lemon. ;)

kingslug

Best time I had there was after a 20 inch dump that shut the roads down the night before..Had the place almost to myself...with a good amount of Pow. It is kind of flat though..but that day it didn't matter..and the runs are pretty long. The Jackson Gore area had some good bumps. And a good burger.

deadheadskier

Staff member

FBGM

Lol at fighting over Okemo and Mt Snow. Both are flat. End of story there.

Mt Snow is a dump when it comes to lodges and amenities. So if you trying to go pinky up, Okemo way better then that.

There’s actually a town (lol town) at Okemo. But way better then the drug addicts and woods around Mt Snow.

Both owned by Vail (so Vail suck factor at both)

Both are the same fucking size.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Lol at fighting over Okemo and Mt Snow. Both are flat. End of story there.

Mt Snow is a dump when it comes to lodges and amenities. So if you trying to go pinky up, Okemo way better then that.

There’s actually a town (lol town) at Okemo. But way better then the drug addicts and woods around Mt Snow.

Both owned by Vail (so Vail suck factor at both)

Both are the same fucking size.
Hey iMuscles

Shouldn't you be out in Jackson dropping 40s switch in the Hobacks with big_derp?

Maybe work on your reading comprehension on the flight out there. Thread is about STOWE vs Okemo. Though with your juvenile obsession with Mt Snow, I can see how your eyes might have deceived you.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

xlr8r

Some people need to chill out. While Okemo or Mount Snow might not be your favorite, they are still ski areas that serve a purpose. We are fortunate to have ski areas of all types large and small, easy and steep. Don't hate on them or the people that ski at them.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Some people need to chill out. While Okemo or Mount Snow might not be your favorite, they are still ski areas that serve a purpose. We are fortunate to have ski areas of all types large and small, easy and steep. Don't hate on them or the people that ski at them.
Agreed 100%. Some people just feel the need to flex iMuscle and pound their chest about the ski areas they think suck.

I like it all. Hell, my three most memorable days skiing last year were at Lonesome Pine, Black NH and Whaleback.

I don't need fancy lodges and buried snowmaking pipe to have a great time. I also have nothing against the places that offer that type of experience.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
I'm not a fan of ski area snobs either.

If you can't have a good time skiing wherever you might be you don't really know how to ski.

Finally a thread that didn't devolve into whats wrong with Hunter, hahaha