• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ringing in the New Year at Wildcat!

abc

A little late in writing up the report. But I was busy skiing (xc skiing that is, regardless, snow was good)

With the freezing rain report all the way up to the Canadian border on the Friday before New Year, I went back home and popped into the office for some "work" (basically chit chatting with the few colleagues who were in). Then some parties Friday and Saturday night.

I had trust in Opensnow.com, which called for 3-6" every 12 hrs all the way from Sunday till Tuesday. So, even at the low end, it would have over 10" by the end of the storm (indeed it did). But I also didn't want to drive through all that stuff (freezing mix in the south). So the only sensible option is the "pre-position" myself up at northern NH by Sunday evening.

I said good bye to my party friends on Sunday midday and started driving up. The forecast had the storm coming in a bit later. So I arrived at northern NH on dry roads.

Overnight, it started to snow... Monday morning they only reported 3 inches. As I've been up at Wildcat the week before and it was really scratchy. I dilly-dally some before heading up mountain. It was still scratchy early, but it started to improve as more snow continued to fall. It wasn't even that windy, which is a bless.

Tuesday, New Year's Eve, the snow gold delivered its parting shot for 2019. Fairly dry snow and something like 10"!

Curiously enough, the trail count for both Wildcat and Attitash didn't change from the previous week. I was a bit puzzled and slightly discouraged.

Lines for first chair was long. And it was still snowing. I wasn't as early as I planned so was still putting on my boots when the lift started spinning. No matter. Quickly, the crowd thin after the first round of early risers gone up. There's plenty of room to roam on the mountain. Patrol started to drop ropes on the natural trails. But rocks abound! (let alone grass and bushes). I opted to enjoy the first pass on the groomers with the fresh snow. It took a while for those got tracked out. I noticed there really wasn't that many people on the mountain. Lift lines were only like 10-15 deep. On the single, it's like 3 min!

Very entertaining (and informative) watching daredevils coming down the rocky trail under the main quad. It was NOT ready really.

But then, I got "lucky". Two patrol guys was talking as I tried to decide which way to go: "Do you think that one's ready?" "I think so". Next thing, they skied over to one of the trails and started to undo the rope (I didn't bother looking for trail names, as every trail goes back down to the same chair anyway). So I and 2-3 others politely waited till the rope is down and skied off into the untouched snow! We were greeted with fresh powder, AND ROCKS!

Tip-toeing around what we can't see (all the rocks got a few mm of snow on them), it's our skis that took the hits. Then, I was at the trail junction again, and here comes the same pair of ski patrol...

Skiers are optimists by nature. Despite the less than ideal condition of the newly opened trail we just skied, we all waited patiently for the patrol to drop the rope on another new trail. And then blissfully charge into the unknown again!!!

The second newly opened trail was free of rocks (mostly). So it was much more pleasant. But it all ended too quickly.

Back up to the top, more trails were now open again. Down we went on those new trails, with mixed results.

After a few of those, I realized new trails ski better AFTER a few groups skied it: it exposed all the thinly covered rocks so we can see and avoid. So that's what I did the rest of the day. Wait till a trail got a few tracks then jump in. Much better results. Also, trails I found good route down are often worth re-visit with a better informed route.

The snow continued to fall. More trails were open, more routes in the already opened trails as rocks got covered (or exposed more clearly). The day got better and better!

Until my legs couldn't quite hold up any more. :(

Last edited:

abc

New Year's Day, upslope snow!

I should have expected that. But I guess I was tired from the day before and wasn't as snow hungry?

Walked out to my car to brush the snow away... Holy molly, that's a good 4" of it!!! Ooops! Better hurry up to get to the mountain while others are still sleeping off their hangovers from New Year's eve party!

I didn't make even close to first chair. But there were enough leftover on the groomers for the few who were there to enjoy.

The natural trails weren't much improved however. I guess the new snow were too dry to bound to the packed down layer below. They simply got pushed into piles, left big patches of slick icy or rocky sections in between.

Saw some people in the woods. But never quite managed to find the entrance.

By noon, the crowd arrived and the snow had long stopped. Not seeing condition to be getting any better, I left. (did an hr of xc skiing later in the afternoon).

All in all, it was a good way to ring in the New Year!

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you find yourself there again and are questioning the depth on natural terrain, Catenary is usually about the best when depths are low. It skied fine on 1/1. Others definitely were pretty bony

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

Today, Catanery, Tomcat Schuss, and Upper Wildcat were quite bony. The first two were fun, but UW was a bit adventurous.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone