How cold have you slept in your vehicle ? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like kingslug, the only time I've slept in my car was not because of skiing. However, I've done my share of sleeping outside in winter, and as mentioned, you need the right equipment. Make sure you keep the boot liners inside the sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    Make sure you keep the boot liners inside the sleeping bag.
    For that, I'll rely on my (cigarette lighter powered) boot heater.

I'm not planning to do mid-winter camping in the car. Most for the moderate temperature spring time only.

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    There are two camp grounds near Loon and Cannon Mountain that are open all year long. Lafayette Place in Franconia Notch and the Hancock Campground up the Kancamaugus Highway from Loon. Go for it.
    Thanks for this info. Just the other day I was trying to figure out from the websites if they are, in fact, open in the winter. Presumably the power hookups are active? My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I just might try camping in my Model Y this year...

What power hook up?

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    For that, I'll rely on my (cigarette lighter powered) boot heater.

I'm not planning to do mid-winter camping in the car. Most for the moderate temperature spring time only.
    That was for generic camping. In a car, just start up the car in the morning I guess...

The only time I car camped for skiing was 1976, stupid college kid on spring break in sunny March. Drove from VA to CO in '69 VW beetle, 10 day trip. Slept in cramped beetle three nights, including inside parking garage at Vail (no longer probably doable) and outdoor parking lot at Snowmass. I used the Scotty method of warmth - turned on the car heater two or three times during the night.

Thread Information