• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Recommendations

Angus

stopped at a ski shop this afternoon and spoke to a sales person about new skis for the upcoming season. I'd like to buy a new pair prior to next season. I received several recommendations which I've listed below plus some other pertinent information...feedback appreciated.

1) skiing level: I thought I was pretty good until I visited MRG earlier in the season! BTW: I was talking to a MRG ski coach about the day I was there and he laughed saying that the bumps were about as big as they ever get when I visited. Anyway, I'd say I'm still pretty good. can ski anything on most mountains and since my visit to MRG have really been working hard skiing bumps and improving alot. so I'd say upper intermediate to low expert.
2) challenges: skiing bumps and increasingly trees (which I don't like) which I attribute to lack of confidence in turning really quick. working hard to stay aggressive esp. bumps and real steep terrain.
3) skiing style: as previously discussed, I don't like to ski super fast anymore - more turns nowadays
4) physical characteristics: 44 years old, 6'0" 175 lbs. good athlete. physically not super strong but coordinated and fit

recommendations from the ski shop included

Atomic M9 or M10 (I think the M10 is stiffer so not as good for bumps but a better ski)
Nordica HotRod Modified
Voelkl Supersport 5 Star or A3

& I'm not going to have time to demo anything either

thoughts? alternatives, ideas about buying (time/place) - either emass/nh or internet - thank you in advance.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
five star would not be good if you want to work on bumps, imo. cross that off the list and consider the unlimited ac3 as your volkl option. greg can speak more towards that skis abilities in the bumps and turniness. i can't speak for the others but you might want to look into a legend 4000 or 8000 from dynastar. considering your options, i think it would not be wise to purchase without a demo. there are often many demo days as early as december. if you are looking to purchase next year's models, this is a bad time. if you were inclined to bargain hunt for this season's close outs, i could at least understand not wanting to demo.

for what it is worth, i almost pulled the trigger on a ski i was looking at earlier this month. i was a good boy and held out for a demo and decided i would have wasted my money if i bought the ski. your mileage may vary, but i have already bought one pair of skis i sold after only one day of skiing and almost bought a second pair with the same result if not for a demo.

Greg

Staff member
...and consider the unlimited ac3 as your volkl option. greg can speak more towards that skis abilities in the bumps and turniness

I'm on a 2005 AC3 which is a bit more forgiving than the latest model as I understand it. Like most Volkls (actually most modern skis with integrated binding systems) they're pretty heavy. On ungroomed/cruddy/natural snow, they rule it. On groomers, a ton of fun with a lot of rebound and relatively short turns. In bumps, they feel a bit cumbersome to me. I have them working in the bumps and I can get them to really turn quickly, but it's far from effortless. I imagine the 2006 AC3 which is a bit wider underfoot and supposedly stiffer is probably even more work in the bumps, but gets great reviews and probably does well in powder and natural conditions. That one is worth a demo. Maybe an AC2 even for a more forgiving option.

bigbog

...as far as Volkl is concerned....

SundayRiver's Demo weekend has been the last weekend of November...and they turn on every snowgun that the weather will permit....but as bvibert's Demo listing shows, there are a couple early in the season........

$.01

Last edited:

skidon

Wait, and get a pair of next-year's Volkl Tigersharks. Ten-foot or 12, Powerswitch or not - those skis ROCK. Take that to da bank...

wa-loaf

Wait, and get a pair of next-year's Volkl Tigersharks. Ten-foot or 12, Powerswitch or not - those skis ROCK. Take that to da bank...

I demoed these recently and skidon is right, if you've got $1200 bucks to burn. If not a hold-over AC3/AC4(maybe too stiff) is probably a good choice.

frozencorn

If you do want to try the AC3 route, I've heard that next year's batch are not as good as the popular version this year. I got mine at the start of the month and am in love. Even on the bumps, which I know have been the sole criticism of them here. That being said....it's popularity has made it a tough ski to find.

jack97

1) skiing level: I thought I was pretty good until I visited MRG earlier in the season! BTW: I was talking to a MRG ski coach about the day I was there and he laughed saying that the bumps were about as big as they ever get when I visited. Anyway, I'd say I'm still pretty good. can ski anything on most mountains and since my visit to MRG have really been working hard skiing bumps and improving alot. so I'd say upper intermediate to low expert.
2) challenges: skiing bumps and increasingly trees (which I don't like) which I attribute to lack of confidence in turning really quick. working hard to stay aggressive esp. bumps and real steep terrain.
3) skiing style: as previously discussed, I don't like to ski super fast anymore - more turns nowadays
4) physical characteristics: 44 years old, 6'0" 175 lbs. good athlete. physically not super strong but coordinated and fit

What are you skiing now and what is it about the present skis that makes you want new ones?

bigbog

Angus,
How about ski offensively!...or "take control and drive those suckers"... I do think the fellow @MRG was commenting that the bumps were the biggest and toughest of the season back when you visited.

$.01