• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

34 and feeling to old to ski anymore

Glenn

I just went back and read the first post. LOL! I'm 33 and I played in the terrain park this weekend. There are 10 year olds who are better than me. But screw it...I'm out having fun and I'm not too sore the next day or week.

mikestaple

LOL! I'm 42 and just started a few years ago.

Now, I'm looking for the bumps, in the best shape of my life, run with kids in the glades and then, gladly, dump them in the terrain park.

Have some kids - they'll get you back out there regardless of your age. It's a great family activity where you can actually participate with them and see them grow in skill and ability immediately. (As opposed to going to Build A Bear and wanting to slice your wrists.)

Sure - you're no longer hitting the Jaegermister Ice Luge at the bar (cus, you know, the kids legs don't reach the accelerator) but it is the best way to get out and enjoy winter.

ZYDECORICH

funny... i read most of these until i saw the original post date. doesn't matter. i hope that guy got smart and skiied the Creek during the week. there are alot more of us older types and its way less crowed.. little or no lines... i did empathize with his tale of all the youngsters, it is i think unskiable during the day on weekends.. just to many people .. dangerous... i ski there after 5 on weekends when the crowds thin out yet i did have an instance about a week ago when i went with the kids.. we were waiting for the quad at south when this punk... i mean the kid couldn't have been 11, lights up a butt in front of me and the smoke blows back into our faces... i looked up took my pole and smacked him in the head...i said are you kidding me how old are you 3??? put that out your already to small you need to grow! he was dumbfounded and looked at me like i was crazy... maybe i am but i wasn't going to put up with that!! i threaten to call his mom and he put it out. little prick.

Skimaine

Get out of the rack and get on the hill early. The youngsters trend to sleep in.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
51. Definitely still getting better each year. Please shoot me when I can't ski anymore.

Retirement communities are starting to spring up in ski country because the age of "ski retirement" is rising. In part due to the gear.

But there is more to it than that. We expect more out of "old age" now.

I am amazed by the old farts skiing the trees at Gore.

Beast_Ed

Website
youtube.com
Dood - I am an ancient 38 and have 'quit' skiing 3 times before already. I've even gone a few seasons where I didn't ski once.

What keeps bringing me back ?

1) Friends
2) Better equipment
3) I can still do it, for the most part
4) Not much else to do in the winter

I would say ... keep skiing and just work-out more, get really dedicated about it. And consider this too, go for quality and NOT quantity. As you age, you need more Vail and Winter Park days and less day trips to the local hill. Just my opinion but the local hills are more for conditioning/training than anything else. (ok good for beers too)

And last but not least, once you hit 34 you have got to attend the best ski trip event of a lifetime - Bumpapalooza !

http://www.maryjanemogultour.com

See you there - it is not too late!

B-Stead