Nassahegan - 9/1/08 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Nice riding with y'all......Thanks for showing me some new stuff!!! Replaced and tightened some spokes after the ride (was supposed to ride in the aft with JP) but my front wheel was too bent.....gonna bring it to the shop and see what they can do....if not dish out some $$$$$ for a new one.........At least ya dont have to pay for lift tickets right??? Im hoping to get 2 more months out of this bike, then a MAJOR upgrade

steve

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    I think you and I were the only ones to try the bridges in the warm up area. I made it up onto the first bridge and briefly had to touch a foot down, then cleared the remainder. I was really PO’d. If we didn’t have such a large group I would have tried again.
    I was under the impression that others tried them too, I guess not. It was very rewarding to finally get that one out of the way.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by MRGisevil View Post
    Kinda bummed I missed this. I told Tim Sunday I was thinking it'd be cool to show up for 8:30 and before I knew it he was up and out for the 7:00 ride, which I was too damned tired to wake and shake for. Nice of him to let me sleep in though, it was quite refreshing

Glad all you kids had a good time.
    Tim told us he made you stay home so you could have lunch ready when he got back, is that not true?

Quote Originally Posted by powhunter View Post
    Nice riding with y'all......Thanks for showing me some new stuff!!! Replaced and tightened some spokes after the ride (was supposed to ride in the aft with JP) but my front wheel was too bent.....gonna bring it to the shop and see what they can do....if not dish out some $$$$$ for a new one.........At least ya dont have to pay for lift tickets right??? Im hoping to get 2 more months out of this bike, then a MAJOR upgrade

steve
    Good to ride with you again Steve! Bummer about the wheel, hopefully the shop can straighten it out for you. It would suck to have to buy a new wheel for a bike you plan on getting rid of soon. Do you have anything in the mind for this major upgrade?
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by MRGisevil View Post
    Kinda bummed I missed this.
    Yeah yeah yeah. Even that big crybaby Tim pulled his lazy ass out of bed and made this ride (and was there early to boot!), for his third day of riding in a row. Gotta give him props for that!
    I ski double black diamonds.

What are these sketchy bridges you guys are always have trouble? Like this?

Because there is no way in hell I would try that.

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post

No, not like that. I wouldn't try that bridge either.

I don't think I ever said they were sketchy... Not the ones that I've hit anyway.
    Brian

No. That's a log crossing. They're actual bridges. Some are solid and well built with lumber and some semblance of actual carpentry skills. Others are built of of 3 or 4" diameter logs, or pallets and whatnot. The one Tim wrecked on is getting beat. It's basically a log with 10-14" boards nailed onto it. Some of those boards are popping off.

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I don't think I ever said they were sketchy... Not the ones that I've hit anyway.
    But most people walk them, and some people, like Tim, fall off. So they must be somewhat sketchy. So are they like a foot wide?

I'm terrible at bridges. I actually came about an inch of away from falling of a 3' wide one the other day.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    No. That's a log crossing. They're actual bridges. Some are solid and well built with lumber and some semblance of actual carpentry skills. Others are built of of 3 or 4" diameter logs, or pallets and whatnot. The one Tim wrecked on is getting beat. It's basically a log with 10-14" boards nailed onto it. Some of those boards are popping off.
    Oh I see. That would be sketchy for me. Sounds really fun though since we have no skinny bridges at all in Lynn woods. NEMBA replaced all of them with rock solid 3' wide bridges and the ranger destroyed all other obstacles.

Stuff more like this:

and this:

Though I'm not sure where either of those two bridges are, they're more representative of what we're talking about.

ETA, the one that Tim fell off of was much narrower though, and sketchier in construction.
    Brian

Here's the one of the well-built bridges on the north loop right before crossing 69:

It's not as wide as it looks in that pic, probably about 18" wide. It's short, but if you wreck, the area around it is not that forgiving. Also, it's right at the bottom of a steep washed out downhill. You need to turn slightly onto it, and there's a small rock to climb right beyond it. It's nothing to me now, but it was a major mindf@(k when I first started riding it.

Thread Information