• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bindings for mogul skis

Madroch

Okay, the Twister deal in the Gunny bump thread (and a pm offering a good deal on used skis) started me looking on the net and am now looking at used vs. new. Appears that the K2 mambas can be had new flat for 150. But bindings would bump that up considerably. I found some older new bindings (the old Tyrolia Railflex 10- the exact binding on my fischers) can be had new for $65. For that set up I could go new. Are bindings of any import on how the ski performs? If so, and I have to pay over 100, will probably go used due to cost.

MR. evil

Most of the guys are going to tell you to get the Look PX-12 or Rossi Axle bindings, they seem to be the prefered bump ski bindings. But they are also pricy. I went the other route. Seeing how I only use the bump skis at SD , I went to my ski shop and got the best deal I could on a set of bindings. I picked up a left over pair of look bindings (not sure which ones) for like $70 and paid another $15 to have them mounted. If tyhe time ever comes that my skill in the bumps deems a high end binding I will swap them out. But I don't see that ever happening.

Greg

Staff member
Whatever you get, mount them flat if possible (no lifters, plates, etc.) You want to be as close to the ski as possible. I don't a lot about them, but it seems like those Railflex bindings are meant to mount on certain skis with the corresponding base. Either way, looks like too much extra "junk" with that binding. Again, you want a heel and toe piece and that's it. The Look PX12 is sort of the go to binding for bump skis. Where are you finding Mambas for $150? That's a helluva deal.

Grassi21

Forget bump skis and bindings. Get a set of fatties and some AT bindings. ;-) :lol:

Greg

Staff member
I went the other route. Seeing how I only use the bump skis at SD , I went to my ski shop and got the best deal I could on a set of bindings. I picked up a left over pair of look bindings (not sure which ones) for like $70 and paid another $15 to have them mounted. If tyhe time ever comes that my skill in the bumps deems a high end binding I will swap them out. But I don't see that ever happening.

I think you have the Look NX which would be fine:

http://www.evogear.com/alpine-ski-bindings/dynastar-nx-12-jib-2009.aspx

That's the jib model which has a soft lifter in there, but that shouldn't affect anything really.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My 'bump' skis have an el cheapo pair of Rossi bindings given to me from a shop who screwed up a mount on a pair of rock skis. Din goes to ten. Mounted flat, they work fine. I would go the cheap route if I were you. The only place that I could ever see myself down with binding stoke would be for an AT set up, otherwise I don't think they make that big of a difference.

Madroch

My bad :oops:- went back to the site-- sierra skis- and they are 250 not 150. Must have gotten confused... happens every once in a while.. hope I didn't send everyone scouring the net...

BigJay

Normally, the prefered bindings were the Salomon S-series and Look P-series

The pivots offer a better flex since the bolts are all under the solde of your boots. The salomon has a longer "range" of elasticity then other step-ins like Marker and Tyrolia bindings.

The S-Series offer more lateral (twisting) elasticity then other bindings as well...

mondeo

Normally, the prefered bindings were the Salomon S-series and Look P-series

The pivots offer a better flex since the bolts are all under the solde of your boots. The salomon has a longer "range" of elasticity then other step-ins like Marker and Tyrolia bindings.

The S-Series offer more lateral (twisting) elasticity then other bindings as well...
+1. Look P-series (AKA Rossignol FKS) are noted for light weight, good resistance to pre-release (due to more elasticity,) and low heel piece footprint (retains the natural flex of the ski better.) You don't want anything with a significant lifter, as it will make the ski less responsive. PX12s have good prerelease, but are heavy and have a long footprint. Will you notice it until you get to powbmps or 180's level of bump skiing? Probably not.

Benefit of the P-series and FKS is that you have to find them used, as they were discontinued. I know there was a pair on ebay within the last day, not sure if they're still there.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Watch out if you have bindings mounted that had a lifter plate and you ask for them to be put on flat. The shop I went to for my Celebrities cut down the screws, but not enough and dimpled one of my bases... then tried to pass it off as no big deal without fixing the dimple. I had to bring them back with Brian to get the shop to fix it. Just be sure you take them somewhere reputable that you trust. Stuff happens and anybody can make a mistake; but the customer service was definitely lacking where I went. And when I asked why they didn't just use shorter screws, they said it's too much hassle to keep different brands of screws in stock for the random flat-mounting request. Just an FYI...

Otherwise, I have no advice to offer. I'm a hack who can barely handle nearly flat-angle bumps. :lol: Though all my bindings are Look NX series and I like them just fine.

Madroch

Thanks for the advice on mounting. I would be pretty torqued if they dimpled a new ski (even if only new to me), even if they fixed it. Happy to hear I can probably get a decent binding for under a hundred if I go the new skis route. Decisions, decisions....

tjf67

Watch out if you have bindings mounted that had a lifter plate and you ask for them to be put on flat. The shop I went to for my Celebrities cut down the screws, but not enough and dimpled one of my bases... then tried to pass it off as no big deal without fixing the dimple. I had to bring them back with Brian to get the shop to fix it. Just be sure you take them somewhere reputable that you trust. Stuff happens and anybody can make a mistake; but the customer service was definitely lacking where I went. And when I asked why they didn't just use shorter screws, they said it's too much hassle to keep different brands of screws in stock for the random flat-mounting request. Just an FYI...

Otherwise, I have no advice to offer. I'm a hack who can barely handle nearly flat-angle bumps. :lol: Though all my bindings are Look NX series and I like them just fine.

They owe you new skiis. That is a rookie mistake. Just because they tried to pass them off I would press the issue.,

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
They owe you new skiis. That is a rookie mistake. Just because they tried to pass them off I would press the issue.,
This was a back in November. When I asked around, it seemed like (as long as they fixed the dimple) it would likely be okay as the screw did not go all the way through, so we brought them back and they fixed the dimple and did a free tune. Yup, it should be a rookie mistake. Too bad it was one of the owners of the shop who did it. There's even more frustration behind this story, but that's not the topic. Just glad to be done with them.

Come to think of it, maybe that's why I have such a hard time skiing those skis... ;) :lol:

skidon

Original Look Pivot or Rossi FKS (same heel) can't be beat. For current models, the bumpers I know also like the Salomon Z-Series - nice 'n light with great "roll" stiffness in the toepiece and a reliable heel.

Trekchick

Would that be a turntable heel?

Pictured here.
n830505017_4867020_950.jpg