• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown Bump or Bust III - 3/22/09

Greg

Staff member
I'll take it!!

I talked to Ellen today and gave her the low down on the race. I told her the AZers rocked the course. She was so psyched. She said she will come back next year for a follow up visit. She couldn't say enough good things about Sundown and it's hometown crowd. Actually, a lot of people told me that the people at Sundown were so nice and welcoming. You guys are the BEST!

Cool that you gave Ellen the rundown of the showdown at Sundown! Ha! Our little hill does seem to leave big impressions with people.

I'm tired and determined to go to bed early. Not really from the skiing yesterday, but from not sleeping well the night before (excitement), a touch of a head cold, and being up until 1:30 am sucking back beers and up at 6 this morning and I've been draggin' ass all day.

gmcunni

During the clinic on Wednesday I started (with much thanks to Ellen) to absorb more than I ever have in the past, which really worked out my quads. I guess it's not the absorption that wore me out, but the extension down the back side.. I'm gonna need this week off just to recover. :eek:

i *think* this might be my source of pain too. i found the line on the right to be so tight that i really couldn't ski the troughs and ended up "hopping" (for lack of a better word) from bump to bump until the first kicker. i definitely felt it in my quads during that section of the course.

Tyrolean_skier

Once again you're being an arrogant prick. I know many old timers that know every inch of Killington so you are not the only one privy to the information. You can delude yourself but the fact is that there is no part of Killington that is not known by these old timers. Some of them helped clean out some of those lines.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I almost feel sorry for HighwayStar. I think he's completely lost focus. It's not about who's the better skier or who can rip a zipperline or ski tight trees dude. It's about having fun. How you go about accomplishing "having fun" is up to the individual.

I don't feel sorry for HS because he is still an asshole.

Grassi21

This thread has delivered everything I could hope for and more.

JimG.

Staff member
OK, OK...I'll say it.

That was an awesome ski day. Proves you don't need major elevation or terrain to have a great event.

OK, OK...the bumps were spectacular. Great skiing. The weather made it perfect too. Well made, shows what some dedicated effort will do. Sundown could teach larger places a thing or two. I skied from 11 to 5:30 with 1/2 hour for some grub. I don't know what the other runs are like because I was on Gunbarrel all day. I guess the combo of very smooth lines and not too crazy pitch just made the day flow...I felt great today. Of course, I didn't compete so I didn't have that nervous edge about me. But I was thinking about skiing all those nice lines all day today. Great day.

Worth mentioning...

Johnnypoach: dude, the best series of linked recoveries I have ever been witness to. Probably the most exciting and entertaining run of the day.

2knees: most improved skier. All the work in the bumps shows. Maybe it was the homefield thing, but I don't think so. Nice job.

Greg: 2nd place in above category.

Robin: I hope you're OK. That was a hard fall.

Alan (180): you never disappoint. These guys are amazed that the 40 somethings dominated. I guess I'll have to enter the 50 something/old fogey category next year.

Radio Ron: cool guy, kind of like the ski version of the court jester.

Meatheads: impressive group.

Sundown: Great vibe. I found the shortcut home last night. Still an hour, but not so far away considering what a great time it was. Keep it up!!

I almost feel sorry for HighwayStar. I think he's completely lost focus. It's not about who's the better skier or who can rip a zipperline or ski tight trees dude. It's about having fun. How you go about accomplishing "having fun" is up to the individual.

I don't feel sorry for HS because he is still an asshole.

I agree and I have been a Dickhead on the internet but hating on a local competition is just lame!!! RootDKJ, imagine how cool it would be for Blue mountain to put on a bump competition like Sundown...we want these smaller ski areas to survive and thrive..because local kids can learn to ski and one day put HighWayStar in his place!!! How can you be a top 30 skier at Killington and not ski bumps..he must be great at the rails and booters to make up for that..cause any hack on ElanSCXs can ski mandatory GS turns..

deadheadskier

Staff member
This thread has delivered everything I could hope for and more.

I really shouldn't say anything more because doing so perhaps perpetuates the problem, but for better or worse, I often don't hold my tongue when I should.

Of all the powder days, great bump days etc that I've missed this season for various reasons that life has thrown at me, this past Sunday at Sundown is the one day I was most bummed about missing this season. Not because I even wanted to compete in the competition, but because of how excited everyone was for this day and all the great people that showed up to compete and have a good time.

Minus one loser, this thread exemplifies exactly what the day was all about; great people, great fun, captured in great pictures, video and commentary. It's exactly why I ski.

Typically, I find great humor in HighwayStar's ridiculous arrogance and to quote 2knees, douchebaggery. I'm a sucker for a good train wreck thread.

Wish it didn't happen in this one though. Honestly, his behavior is about as embarrassing as a father getting in a fist fight with the umpire at a Little League game. In life, everyone acts like an asshole from time to time, but sometimes the timing of such behavior is simply downright despicable. My own mother would slap me silly for being such a douche bag.

The only thing I can possibly imagine is that he is a complete Sociopath who has zero control over his actions. If that's the case, I feel sorry for him and hope he gets the help he needs to be able to exist in society both on and offline in an acceptable manner.

I'll leave at that. Other than that.....clearly a wonderful day was had by all yesterday and it's been great to read about; can't wait to get out on the slopes with some of you great people this upcoming Saturday at Sugarbush. :daffy: :grin:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I agree and I have been a Dickhead on the internet but hating on a local competition is just lame!!! RootDKJ, imagine how cool it would be for Blue mountain to put on a bump competition like Sundown...we want these smaller ski areas to survive and thrive..because local kids can learn to ski and one day put HighWayStar in his place!!! How can you be a top 30 skier at Killington and not ski bumps..he must be great at the rails and booters to make up for that..cause any hack on ElanSCXs can ski mandatory GS turns..
You know that I don't ski bumps at all, but if Blue hosted an event like this, I'd be there with at least two cases of beer in my car for all (but highwaystar) to enjoy. I'd be lined up right on Main Street with my camera and having a blast.

I'd venture to say that all the dudes and dudettes at Sundown had much more fun than HS did in his dusting of snow at K. Everyone who made Sundown's event a huge success is welcome down at Blue anytime!

mondeo

Incidentally, I grew up skiing a hill like Sundown. Some others that grew up skiing there:
729305.jpg

index.asp

_40967179_ski1.jpg

Vogtli still calls Ellicotville home. On the other end of it, Mayer considered Killington weak sauce and only spent a year there between Holiday and Steamboat.

What an incredible day for the AZ and Sundown folks. You should all be so stoked for the vibe you have brought to a ski area in Connecticut. Without this site for reference no one would ever believe that such a wild event took place yesterday. There are too many moments to remember, and most have been touched on already, but I will add a few:
Severine for the pictures. Robin is so happy to have seen the kids. They are amazing shots.
The whole gang for your concern for Robin.
The whole gang for making my kids feel at home.
The guys at the top for making me feel better when my bib # ended up on cutting room floor.
Sundown for believing in our passion.
Mother nature for another beautiful day. People may be complaining about the weather this spring, but is has been perfect mogul weather.

I have has many problems with judging over the years. That's why its called "freestyle" If not for the fact that my wife was in the lodge with an uncertain future I would have contunued to pound the course while the competition went on. Gunbarrel looked so sweet in the afternnoon sun. The rest of my season is up in the air, but I hope it ends good for your mountain.

Robin has indeed torn her ACL. We'll be making plans for her surgery in the next week. She is in good spirits and she will be back (her words). I will post updates as they happen.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm so sorry to hear that Al. I hope she has a speedy recovery after the surgery!