• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How long would you drive for 1 trail open?

abc

<15 minutes. And only if it's $5 lift ticket.

15min: so if it look too busy to be fun, I can turn around and drive home.
$5 ticket: so if I don't like it after skiing one run, I don't feel l need to get up again "to make the ticket worthwile".

Geoff

I'm going to be in South Dartmouth, MA tomorrow at 5pm. At the moment, I'm planning to drive to Sunday River from there. That must be 4 1/2 hours.

ta&idaho

I drove four hours to ski a two-foot dump of natural snow in early October a few years ago, and I would definitely do that again, but I doubt I'd drive more than an hour or two for a manmade half-WROD at this point in the year.

boston_e

Are we talking a day trip? Or are we assuming you have a place to stay?

If day trip... maybe 30 min.
If overnight / weekend which assumes some apres ski and other weekend skiing routine etc mixed in... 3-4 hours.

tcharron

Quick beating around the bush.

Yes, I'll be driving to Sunday River sometime over the next two weeks. :-D

WJenness

Normally: Probably 2 hours in each direction.

SR is a special case for me as my buddy has a condo, and we use an early skiing weekend to get it opened up and sorted out.

Looks like we're headed up Sat. Afternoon, sorting out the condo Sat. Night, skiing Sunday morning and then heading home.

A bonus on this trip for me is that I had some work done on my car for a problem that only showed up on long drives. Got the car back on Monday and need to take it for a long run to make sure it's OK now.

-w

Bumpsis

0 hours, 0 minutes. I don't ski on early season man made crap.
For that matter, I'll think twice about skiing on just man made stuff any time in the season. No natural snow - I probably won't ski.
Expections made for spring skiing.

Warp Daddy

For a one WROD -- it ain;t happening :D

Earlier in my ski career 90 minutes, now i'm more discernii.e. . Fast rocks and slow grass no longer excites me i can wait for full trail coverage and at least some skiing variety meaning 4 -6 trails

maineskier69

1.5 hours for this guy. I will be doing it Sunday and by then there maybe more than a "ribbon of death". Also betting on most of you to get your rocks off Fri & Sat.

All in good fun!

bigbog

For one trail..I could head over to Hermon Mtn...~10mi away;-)...I'm close to 2hrs from Sugarloaf...sooo these days I'm willing to save gas and putter around the house/yahd..;-), especially when you know good days are comin' soon.

$.01

Last edited:

mondeo

I'd probably do 3-3.5. Gotta be daytrippable, it's more the cost than anything else. Need for a hotel room for SR kills any plans for the weekend for me.

jerryg

I've done mid-late May day trips from Portland to KMart.

mondeo

WROD to me is more about getting your legs back under you and getting back into it than anything else. That way when it start's getting good in December all the rust has long been shaken off.

Zand

Sunday River is ~2 hours from here so I'll be doing that Saturday. From home I did 3 hours to Killington on their opening day last year, although that was a more impressive lineup than what SR has right now. I wouldn't do the 4+ hours from home to ski what SR has open now.