• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bode's Olympic ideal: winning no medals!?!?!

HDHaller

Website
www.skiclinics.com
The thing that caught my attention about the 60 Minutes piece was not so much the drinking thing as his description of an ideal performance in Turino: ski runs that provoke emotion in viewers but that win no medals?

I like Bode's being different. I like the way he frustrates his coaches and other handlers, but I think he's playing the press and the public with that comment. I simply don't believe it.

If he's dreaming up an Olympic ideal, a best-case scenario, why not throw in the medals? Is he really that much of a zen master that he wants to avoid Olympic victory? I don't believe it.

I remember his mother once told a reporter, when asked if she was proud of her son's winning the World Cup, that, no, she was not proud because he's the one who's doing the skiing, not her. Why should she be proud? She didn't do it. It's been all him... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Why be proud? BECAUSE YOUR SON, YOUR OWN FLESH AND BLOOD, IS THE BEST ALPINE RACER IN THE WORLD!!!

Her response struck me as a huge dose of contrived hippy horse$%#t, and I think Bode has inherited just a touch too much of that say-the-opposite-of-what-they-think-you'll-say gene from his mother.

-HDH

JimG.

Staff member
There are more than a few prodigies who have this trait. Bill Johnson was one, Tommy Moe to a lesser extent.

Or we could go into the realm of the truly weird with folks like Dennis Rodman.

Who knows if it's genuine or just an act. Whatever the case, it sure gets attention.

NYDrew

Got to agree, considering my dream of olympic ski glory died about 23 years ago when I was born in queens, ny, my new goal is to marry the best damn female skiier I can find and procreate the next bode or bodet miller.

C'mon, i'm 23, I can dream of what ever I want to.
I bet s/he will even let me wear the medal once in a while. Or even better, I can wear the old metals, name him after me, and pretend to be him!!! Holy crap I'm heading up to ski country, got to meet Ms. Perfect, see you all later.

in Bode's defence, wouldn't it be cool to be so great (and so high) that you can say what ever you want on TV and not care?

(shoot...I'm still here, havn't wond the lotto yet)

HDHaller

Website
www.skiclinics.com
JimG. said:
There are more than a few prodigies who have this trait. Bill Johnson was one, Tommy Moe to a lesser extent.

Or we could go into the realm of the truly weird with folks like Dennis Rodman.

Who knows if it's genuine or just an act. Whatever the case, it sure gets attention.

Yup, it does get attention.
-HDH

HDHaller

Website
www.skiclinics.com
NYDrew said:
in Bode's defence, wouldn't it be cool to be so great (and so high) that you can say what ever you want on TV and not care?

Yes! And I like seeing that in him when it seems that he's really speaking his mind. But sometimes it seems he's just saying something off-the-wall, not because he really believes it, but only to be contentious, rebellious. That I like less.
-HDH

GadgetRick

Website
www.rickandedith.com
Honestly, I really don't care much about what he says or does on his own time. In this day of over exposed celebrities, I just watch him race because, as someone said, he's the best damn alpine racer in the world. Being that does not mean he has to be a certain person. Yeah yeah, role models blah blah blah.

I get the feeling he says certain things to see what kind of a rise he can get from people. I listen to his show on Faction on Sirius from time to time. He just seems like one of those guys who likes to mess with people.

I like him. :)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I like Bode's being different. I like the way he frustrates his coaches and other handlers, but I think he's playing the press and the public with that comment. I simply don't believe it.
i believe it. what is not to believe? wasn't any one listening a year ago when bode was thinking about creating his own league? isn't any one listening when he critisizes the FIS about doping? this guy doesn't like the way things are in the ski racing world. he obviously thinks about things really differently than most people.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
HDHaller said:
The thing that caught my attention about the 60 Minutes piece was not so much the drinking thing as his description of an ideal performance in Turino: ski runs that provoke emotion in viewers but that win no medals?

If he's dreaming up an Olympic ideal, a best-case scenario, why not throw in the medals? Is he really that much of a zen master that he wants to avoid Olympic victory? I don't believe it.

I remember his mother once told a reporter, when asked if she was proud of her son's winning the World Cup, that, no, she was not proud because he's the one who's doing the skiing, not her. Why should she be proud? She didn't do it. It's been all him... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Why be proud? BECAUSE YOUR SON, YOUR OWN FLESH AND BLOOD, IS THE BEST ALPINE RACER IN THE WORLD!!!

Her response struck me as a huge dose of contrived hippy horse$%#t, and I think Bode has inherited just a touch too much of that say-the-opposite-of-what-they-think-you'll-say gene from his mother.

-HDH

I don't know if it is worth getthing that worked up about.

I mean, I use italics fairly often to stress points, but bold? You can't let stuff that doesn't matter one bit nor should to you get to you like that enough to use bold.

And then you just go and through sensibilit to the wind and break out the caps lock? Have you had your blood pressure checked recently? You're going to give yourself an aneurysm or some ....

SkiDork

Maybe he's thinking about the Herminators crash in the downhill a few olympics ago - thats still remembered.

Remember the scene in "Tin Cup" where the Kevin Costner character kept trying to make the green and kept ending up in the water? He finally made it (in the hole) on the last ball?

The Renee Russo character says to him afterwards "In 5 years nobodys going to remember who won the US Open but they'll still rememeber your shot"

JimG.

Staff member
BTW, the 60 minutes interview is becoming front page news now...last night I heard a whole newsflash devoted to it and the fact that none of Bode's sponsors are backing away from him.

And why should they? This scenario has has created so much buzz and attention that they will reap amazing benefits. And if you think Bode isn't aware that his persona creates this type of attention, you're naive.

Pure marketing genius!!!

HDHaller

Website
www.skiclinics.com
Marc said:
HDHaller said:

-HDH

I don't know if it is worth getthing that worked up about.

I mean, I use italics fairly often to stress points, but bold? You can't let stuff that doesn't matter one bit nor should to you get to you like that enough to use bold.

And then you just go and through sensibilit to the wind and break out the caps lock? Have you had your blood pressure checked recently? You're going to give yourself an aneurysm or some ....

You're right, Marc. The italics, the bold, the caps lock... I was out of line. Must have been hopped up on caffeine or something. I feel better now. :)

-HDH