• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Deer Valley's COO Jumps Ship Five Days Before Opening Day

abc

It seems that the interest is in protecting Aspen's place in the market to the detriment of DV.
Jackson also got the "premium" status, which is more of a "competition" to Aspen (in my view).

But yes, if that's what they're doing, I can see why Levitt jump ship. DV doesn't have the kick ass terrain of Jackson/Aspen. Can't compete with Alta-bird either. All it has is the exclusivity. Take that away, it's just another also-ran mountain in the SLC suburb.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Jackson also got the "premium" status, which is more of a "competition" to Aspen (in my view).
True. But Alterra does not own Jackson as you know so they don't have much control over Jackson.
But yes, if that's what they're doing, I can see why Levitt jump ship. DV doesn't have the kick ass terrain of Jackson/Aspen. Can't compete with Alta-bird either. All it has is the exclusivity. Take that away, it's just another also-ran mountain in the SLC suburb.
Bingo. "Just another mountain". Perhaps Levitt got that.

raisingarizona

It’s grooming was always regarded as some of the best

abc

It’s grooming was always regarded as some of the best
That's the hype. I've been there a few times, with the aim to rip their groomers. I wasn't impressed.

The trails of DV are narrow. Also, DV doesn't have much in the way of off-piste, bowls and faces and moguls (there're lot of trees, but many of them aren't marked). So just about 95% of the skier traffic are on the those narrow groomers, with no room to spread out. They may have groomed it well before the lift starts, but despite the purported daily cap, the surfaces got trashed by lunch time.

I can understand if their core skiers are those who only ski a couple hours in the morning, then have a long lunch, wrap up the day by skiing to the bottom.

I still go there when I'm Park City. I like their glades. But the groomers? Nah, way overhyped.

FBGM

Director of Real Estate and Planning now jumped shipped.

Somethings going on.

Let’s speculate 🧐

tumbler

They must have screwed something up big time with the Snow Park expansion permitting and approval process.

Or they were having an affair :p

drjeff

Somethings going on.

Let’s speculate 🧐

If this ends up being a bigger screw-up than when the Cumming's family forgot to submit the letter of intent on time to renew the land lease for the former PCMR, now that would be impressive!! 😂😂😂

FBGM

I have not followed the snow park expansion or planning really at all. All I know is roughly what they want to do. So I’m not help there.

All I know is when DV was DV every management position there was kept till retirement. Super small turnover

thetrailboss

Staff member

Somethings going on.

Let’s speculate 🧐
Confirmed. FBGM for the win.

Sounds like cost cutting considering that they had someone shadowing him and are evaluating "if the position needs to be filled."

JimG.

Staff member
Interesting. I skied at K last Friday and decided to eat at the summit lodge. I was disappointed.

They have minimized their once broad menu choices to mostly burgers, grilled cheese, hot dogs, etc. The staff was discombobulated and somewhat confused. Of course there was a nitpicker in front of me who changed their order 3 times and had multiple special requests. So rude!

The soup and sandwich choices have been limited as well. No more delicious salmon special. And the payoff was the not surprising 30% increase in prices. I never minded the $25 price for the salmon special with a drink. But $33 for a dry salmon burger is outside my value window.

In addition to booting up in my car I'll be eating lunch there as well.

raisingarizona

Thanks
Interesting. I skied at K last Friday and decided to eat at the summit lodge. I was disappointed.

They have minimized their once broad menu choices to mostly burgers, grilled cheese, hot dogs, etc. The staff was discombobulated and somewhat confused. Of course there was a nitpicker in front of me who changed their order 3 times and had multiple special requests. So rude!

The soup and sandwich choices have been limited as well. No more delicious salmon special. And the payoff was the not surprising 30% increase in prices. I never minded the $25 price for the salmon special with a drink. But $33 for a dry salmon burger is outside my value window.

The pandemic has really hit the service industry hard. The quality of food and service everywhere seems to have pooped the bed.

jimmywilson69

that's unfortunate to hear.

I had a surprisingly good lunch at Snowshed on Sunday. for $15.50 a 6" Italian Sub made on Focaccia and what appeared to be decent quality cold cuts with a very good helping of chips and housemade pickles. Considering my buddy paid $14 for a bean burger, I thought it was a good deal. They weren't selling food upstairs in the long trail pub, but had a very good selection of VT cans and of course Long Trail beer on tap.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Sounds like the typical POWDR Resort experience. POWDR has thoroughly destroyed Snowbird to the point where the only thing they "can" do is take money. So sad.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
that's unfortunate to hear.

I had a surprisingly good lunch at Snowshed on Sunday. for $15.50 a 6" Italian Sub made on Focaccia and what appeared to be decent quality cold cuts with a very good helping of chips and housemade pickles. Considering my buddy paid $14 for a bean burger, I thought it was a good deal. They weren't selling food upstairs in the long trail pub, but had a very good selection of VT cans and of course Long Trail beer on tap.

That's shockingly expensive. I bought food from K maybe 3 times a season up until only a few years ago...my go to was a HUGE, fresh, and honestly pretty artisan VT salad (iirc) that was a very reasonable $11 or $12. This thing was as big as or bigger than the Costco food court chicken cesar salads!

Kingslug20

Well that sux. They had really good food up there..expensive but I didn't care. Oh well. Sad times are these...

Smellytele

All seven times I skied this year I have grilled in the parking lot. As it has only been my sons with me nothing fancy just burgers or dogs and a few good beers (schillings, Lawsons, treehouse)