• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Deer Valley's COO Jumps Ship Five Days Before Opening Day

jaytrem

All seven times I skied this year I have grilled in the parking lot. As it has only been my sons with me nothing fancy just burgers or dogs and a few good beers (schillings, Lawsons, treehouse)
You should bring some Costco salmon burgers to sell. They're only about $1.50 each. Sell for $20 and you're still $13 less then Killington.

abc

Dang near everything at COST is at worst, decent quality. I'm amazed when I encounter people who arent members.
There're other wholesale clubs that have product just as good (more accurately those same identical products at exact same price), at more convenient location and with better hours.

Your limited knowledge with only one is why you'll never understand why others who knows better making a different (and better) choice as you did. The lose is only yours.

ThatGuy

Your limited knowledge with only one is why you'll never understand why others who knows better making a different (and better) choice as you did. The lose is only yours.
Struggling to understand this paragraph

thetrailboss

Staff member
Interesting how we went from DV to Killington to Costco. I like Costco. Works for me. I miss the old Deer Valley. It was great while it lasted. I am glad snowmonster took me when he did in 2012 and introduced me to the DV experience. Alterra wants to do something different.

jaytrem

I agree! BenedictGomez is wholesale club loser!!! Go hang out at your inconveniently located, crappy hours Costco, loser!!! :rolleyes:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, if IKON doesn’t cause crowding, then why does Deer Valley think it now needs paid parking to “limit traffic”? Especially to deter those from the Wasatch Front (aka local IKONers).

raisingarizona

Well, if IKON doesn’t cause crowding, then why does Deer Valley think it now needs paid parking to “limit traffic”? Especially to deter those from the Wasatch Front (aka local IKONers).

So they are going to put more of a squeeze on their poor, working class skiers to open up more parking for the guests that spend more money during their regular ski days or to simply increase daily skier visits for more profit. The limiting traffic claim is obviously bullshit.

abc

I'd say we're seeing the change in historic ski towns that are at the base of the mountains.

Many of those towns were there before the ski mountains were build. They were not designed to handle a huge influx of ski tourists. Almost all of them sooner or later see unbearable traffic snarl. Different towns choose to tackle it differently. But the only solution is remote parking with buses into the base area.

How they get there is the difference. Some got dragged into the end solution kicking and screaming. Others have more foresight and have a smoother transition.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So they are going to put more of a squeeze on their poor, working class skiers to open up more parking for the guests that spend more money during their regular ski days or to simply increase daily skier visits for more profit. The limiting traffic claim is obviously bullshit.
Maybe. Unforunately for Alterra, they pissed off the wealthy skiers at DVR so I don't know who they now think is going to pay for a Deer Valley-lite experience.

My comment is more directed at the "we don't cause crowds" bullshit that Alterra spews. But now that it appears to be hurting DVR's bottom line and now they are changing their tune.

Looks like they have no idea what they are doing. Not every ski area is the same.

Reactions: abc

abc

Maybe. Unforunately for Alterra, they pissed off the wealthy skiers at DVR so I don't know who they now think is going to pay for a Deer Valley-lite experience.

My comment is more directed at the "we don't cause crowds" bullshit that Alterra spews. But now that it appears to be hurting DVR's bottom line and now they are changing their tune.

Looks like they have no idea what they are doing. Not every ski area is the same.
You mean it isn't just Vail who had no idea what they're doing? 🤣

machski

But that's my point about what happen to all these historic ski towns. Look at what happened to Aspen? (ok, it didn't just happened as an "explosion" in a matter of 2-3 years, still...)
Well, Aspen is more similar to having a town up one of the cottonwoods than PC in my mind. PC isn't really a dead end town like Aspen is, so that is part of the Aspen problem of long term growth. DV isn't really within the footprint of downtown, they could do things differently (like utilize the Jordanelle base more effectively for day guest parking). At the very least, Alterra did keep DV and Aspen (even more so at Aspen, a bit surprised they didn't do the same at DV) as limited areas on the Ikon and not go unliked like Vail did next door at PC.

pinion

Interest in Park City as a ski destination has been growing for the better part of a decade. How many of the past 15 years has DV been rated #1 resort in Ski Mag? Has it ever not been in the top 10? Vail buying PCMR and joining it with Canyons was all over the ski news and became another big draw. Direct flights into SLC from $$$ cities... it's a no brainer as to why this all happened.

The Ikon/Epic passes are just putting crowds into overdrive to a point where it's not manageable nor sustainable... Park City as a town understands how to handle crowds a bit thanks to Sundance, but the Sundance crowd don't ski :) Best day I ever had at PCMR was during Sundance festival, every lift was ski-on and most of the time I was by myself on the slopes.

Not sure what to expect first week of March. It's alot of dough to drop to ski/eat/stay in Park City and if the crowds really are as bad as some of these reports then I would imagine my fam has a conversation about Sun Valley, JH, etc for 2023.

like utilize the Jordanelle base more effectively for day guest parking
The Jordanelle trail is pretty tough to maneuver for beginners and some intermediates towards the end of the day without corduroy, and first thought is rarely to take the gondola down. Other than that I agree... that base is WAY underutilized.

raisingarizona

In a lot of ways I think the Wasatch One is making more and more sense. Increase the amount of shuttles from the airport and there's no reason for a vacationing skier to get a rental car. If you could pick a home base and get to every ski area from your lodging you'd be set.

pinion

There's only one right answer to the whole thing (210, Cottonwood, and PC) but nobody wants to seriously talk about it :ROFLMAO:

season 4 dancing GIF