• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Catamount is the worst in the EAST !!!!

legalskier

their was no lift attendant at the top all day and the attendant left the bottom of the lift between 2:45 and 4pm.

I realize you had your children with you but you could have gone in to management right away and given them an opportunity to address this, instead of putting up with a potentially dangerous situation for over an hour. The squeaky wheel gets oiled, as they say.

He offered me comp passes and I said keep them since I won’t be back.

IMHO you should have taken them and returned on a less busy day when things would be different. It's very tough on parents to haul their little ones around to ski areas, from parking the car safely, signing up & paying for lessons, getting rentals, dressing the kids (after they need to "go"), not to mention feeding them, all at an unfamiliar place. Also, Saturday was probably the busiest day of the season and it sounds like the Cat was stressed to the max. I have no problem with you blowing off some steam here, as I raised two little skiers myself and know how it can be, but you shouldn't make a judgment based on one day. I've never been to the Cat but I've heard good things about it; Saturday probably was an aberration. I suggest you contact the ski school and discuss your concerns with them (on a weekday when they have time to talk).
Try to put it behind you. Better luck next time.

rtibbs4

Website
www.basecampmountsnow.com
I have taken my 4 year old to Nashoba the past 7 Saturdays for his ski lesson. Their magic carpet has an attendant at the bottom and one at the top. I can't imagine the chaos there would be if the attendants we're absent. I certainly would be pissed if my kid or anyone else was being dragged along in a big pile up with no way of stopping the machine. Not that I post here a lot. Just my opinion.

JBSki

I did inform the manager. Included in my first post was this statement ' ( I told the manager and he asked if my kids have skied before. I said they have, but that should not be an issue since this is a BEGINNER LIFT / TRAIL where people are supposed to learn how to ski.
He offered me comp passes and I said keep them since I won’t be back. I just wanted it to be known so another child does not get hurt.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Also, most likely given that it was a holiday weekend, that guy that you say that directed you to park your car so close to the others that it could get a ding...was probably the owner. You should said something to him right then and there.

campgottagopee

Kids are pretty resilient, how hurt could they possibly get goin .00008 mph on a carpet.

Like DMC, I've never been on one so that's why I ask.

JBSki

Being a busy, holiday weekend is even more of a reason that they should have extra staff and at least have someone working the BEGINNER magic carpet

dmc

He offered me comp passes and I said keep them since I won’t be back. I just wanted it to be known so another child does not get hurt.

So they fix the problem and nobody goes because of your warnings...

Why not take the free ticket? See if they fix the problem...

Still smells like revenge for a bad day to me..

JBSki

I did inform the magic carpet operator at the top that they need a lft attendant, he said he would call to the office and notify them. 1 hour later and I left before ever seeing an attendant.

dmc

In my typical fashion...

I've pinged Catamount and asked them to come give their side of the story..

Hopefully will make for some good internet...

SKidds

Well, I appreciate the OP. And I appreciate the FP's (following poster's) ripping the OP a new one. And all the posts in between. That's what a place like this needs. Put in all the info, shake it up, and people will get to the right opinion.

What I don't appreciate?

1) No new holes for oakapple for bad mouthing Thunder Ridge! Where's the justice, you mountain bashing post hypocrits?! Big Birch Rules!!!!!! (OK, maybe not rules, but 25 years ago it was great for getting me on the snow every day. I wish my kids school had a race team/ski club).

2) All the "flip Catamount a break beacuse it was the busiest day of the year" posts. I submit that is the BEST day to judge a mountain. Put them to the test, do they pass of fail? Only as good as your weakest link? I can find a few more cliches, but they aren't far off.

3) The "appreciate it for what is is" crowd. While there is a thin vein of merit here, it's not like they are giving the mountain away. For $59 bucks a day people should expect a lot, and not chalk it up to......anything. ($48 for a Junior....just a couple bucks less than Whiteface) In fact, I might say to the apologists in that crowd that flipping that break does a disservice to the skiing community as a whole. Some people might have a similar bad experience and not go back to Windham, or anywhere else. That ain't good for the sport.

My thought, as if anyone cared?

I don't think the OP is a shill for anyone. He had a bad experience. He had good right to be upset by unattended lifts (even just a magic carpet, or maybe especially a magic carpet). He shouldn't have had to go get it fixed himself at the moment. For his $48/$59 he deserved attended lifts. Did the pile on the insults? Maybe. I guess I will flip a place like Catamount a break on the age of their base lodge. Did he communicate his thought in the most PC manner? Maybe not, but we here all have think enough skins that we shouldn't pile on him for that.

Remember guys, for better or worse, I don't think scaring away people is a good thing, even if we don't like how they deliver the message.:spread::daffy:THINK:snow:

dmc

2) All the "flip Catamount a break beacuse it was the busiest day of the year" posts. I submit that is the BEST day to judge a mountain. Put them to the test, do they pass of fail? Only as good as your weakest link? I can find a few more cliches, but they aren't far off:

I hope people don't judge you on your worst day.. We all have them and they do not represent our best...

Remember guys, for better or worse, I don't think scaring away people is a good thing, even if we don't like how they deliver the message.:spread::daffy:THINK:snow:

99% of the people here don't come JUST to blast a mountain... most of these complainer types are more interested in "carpet bombing" the internet with their diatribe... to punish the mountain..

SKidds

Kids are pretty resilient, how hurt could they possibly get goin .00008 mph on a carpet.
The most important thing for young kids to have with their earliest exposure to skiing is fun. Being dragged up a carpet, even if just at .00008 is not gonna be fun for a 5 year old. As rediculous as it might sound, it could scar some for life........to skiing at least, and maybe as adults they only have hardwood in their homes, I don't really know.

I will recognize Catamount for the feeder hill that it is, but that don't mean I'm gonna flip em breaks. Heck, it's that much more important they deliver a pleasant experience, even on the holidays. Espcially on the holidays.

And I'm sure they do that for a lot of people, but maybe in this case they didn't.

JBSki

True, it does go slow, but their are metal guards on each side with joins / seems all the way up that snag cloths or cut skin / cloths as you are dragged along.