• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Westway or Annapurna

Westway or Annapurna

• Westway

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Annapurna

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

MarkC

For all of you Hunter sliders out there if they were going to make snow on either Westway or Annapurna which one would you choose? I would have to go with purna.

millerm277

If just one or the other, Annapurna. However, it'd be nice if they'd just blow a bit on 44, to give the natural something to stick to.

Hawkshot99

Purna is protected in the woods so it stays nicer. I am assuming that 44 gets blown just like Clairs which gets scary.

Greg

Staff member
'Purna, baby!

'Purna all the way. I've never skied West Way, but quite honestly, I don't see the allure. Like hawkshot says, it looks like it would simply be another Claire's, but wider. Annapurna has the most character of the trails I've skied at the mountain. Narrow at the start, widens out about a 1/3 of the way down and gets nice and steep for a stretch before mellowing and narrowing up a bit. Bumps the whole way and pretty relentless. I could ski it all day or until my legs quit.

Great poll. I hope the mountain is watching this thread.

dmc

44.... HAnds down... Fast and furious... Wide open... Double falline.. Funky fence line.. Under the chair in the weeds.. Wind scoured top... Long open bump runs in the warm sun...

But - a bitch to keep snow on due to the wind and exposure.

highpeaksdrifter

44.... HAnds down... Fast and furious... Wide open... Double falline.. Funky fence line.. Under the chair in the weeds.. Wind scoured top... Long open bump runs in the warm sun...

What DMC said. 44 was always my favorite at Hunter, it just was very rarely open, but when it was that's all I'd ski. Purna is a great trail, the only slight knock on it is it's dark even on a sunny day.

I agree with DMC. SInce most of you have never skied it. Don't knock it. On a powder day it takes forever to get tracked out. Purna is done in one run. It skies like 3 trails, fence line, lift line and face. In the spring the sun bakes it perfectly. Yes, it's hard to make snow on and it can be windy. Should be ready soon on natural.

kingslug

It's been so long since I've skied 44 that I forgot what it was like. haven't seen it fully open in a long time. What I do remember is wide and steep, good under the guns, and lots of moguls. Purna is an ass kicker, plain and simple.

JimG.

Staff member
I agree with DMC. SInce most of you have never skied it. Don't knock it. On a powder day it takes forever to get tracked out. Purna is done in one run. It skies like 3 trails, fence line, lift line and face. In the spring the sun bakes it perfectly. Yes, it's hard to make snow on and it can be windy. Should be ready soon on natural.

44 wins even though I put Purna a close second.

highpeaksdrifter

It's been so long since I've skied 44 that I forgot what it was like. haven't seen it fully open in a long time. What I do remember is wide and steep, good under the guns, and lots of moguls. Purna is an ass kicker, plain and simple.

When you think about it 44 was a big mistake. A great trail, but almost never open. Maybe if they cut 2 narrower trails that skiing acreage would get alot more use.

Slutsky's don't usuall make big mistakes. Makes me wonder what they where thinking about when they devoted resources to something that is hardly ever used. I was a Hunter regular for a long time and several years in a row could go by without it being open even one day.

MarkC

Half of the reason why I chose Purna is the goods are there. I would love to see snowmaking on purna and enough natural on 44 to make it good open or not. The real reason for my decision is that purna will hold the man made snow better than westway.

millerm277

The real reason for my decision is that purna will hold the man made snow better than westway.

That is true, but if you blow a bit of a base on 44, then the natural snow will actually stick to it instead of blowing away the next day.