• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

11 of the world’s scariest ski runs

kingslug

Have to sign up to view...bleh
and it probably doesn't include the scariest run in the world...Belt Parkway Hunter on a holiday Saturday...oh...snap...

speden

I was talking to a patroller on the lift at Bretton Woods a couple weeks back about Jackson Hole. He said he'd done Corbet's Couloir and that it wasn't too bad. Apparently it's all about sticking the landing at the entry and then it's smooth sailing.

Edd

Is everyone having trouble with the link? Works for me.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Glenn

No issues on my end...even with an ad blocker.

To build on kingslugs point: easy terrain during a holiday period. I'll take an uncrowded steep over that any day.

Edd

Full list:

The Streif, Kitzbuhel

Corbet’s, Jackson Hole

La Chavantte, Avoriaz

Delirium Dive, Sunshine Village

Grand Couloir, Courchevel

Tortin, Verbier

Harakiri, Mayrhofen

Le Tunnel, Alpe d’Huez

Face de Bellevarde, Val d’Isere

La Grave, France

Backside of the Valluga, St. Anton

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

mikec142

I skied at JHMR two seasons ago. After watching about 1000 movies and videos of people skiing Corbets, I gave myself a 25% chance of dropping in. In certain years, the "goat path" forms and you can kind of sidestep/slide/edge your way down past most of the drop. This is where the 25% chance came from in my mind.

Anyway, we stood over the edge and my conclusion is that you'd have to be insane. After the 10-15 foot drop you have to make an immediate high speed right turn to avoid the big rock on the left. Then you have to make an immediate high speed left turn to avoid the couloir wall. If you managed that, it's smooth sailing.

As an FYI, I saw two people getting hauled out of the couloir with a rope by patrol after they edged down the goat path and then realized they couldn't make the jump turn.

If you go down the goat path, you edge in backwards and have to make a jump turn to start.

I agree with Slug that SS Couloir is harder, but the combination of the fame, the crowds standing on the lip, and the fact that the tram goes right by it make Corbets iconic.

abc

The Telegragh is a trashy paper in UK.

The fact it named the whole mountain (le grave), which actually have quite many entirely non-scary tuns for any half decent skiers, is clear it’s written by a one-week-a-year skier, for the ignorant which is their core readers.