• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1st Snowflake of the season

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I thought seeing 32* on my drive home last night was pretty awesome...until the heat starting going on my truck again this morning. Now, I'm ambivalent. :-?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
What's wrong with your heat?

Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. Don't know what's wrong with it. Right now, it works. For most of the last 2 winters, it didn't. Or it would for the first 20 minutes and then it would blow cold air on you, even with the "heat" off.

jaja111

Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. Don't know what's wrong with it. Right now, it works. For most of the last 2 winters, it didn't. Or it would for the first 20 minutes and then it would blow cold air on you, even with the "heat" off.

Check your coolant level! Could be low or an airpocket that starves the heater core of hot juice. Or..... the climate control knob or switch is defective, but if this happens when the control is stationary I'd suspect a low coolant condition (which could be a sign of potentially worse situations i.e. engine damage if it overheats). What kind of vehicle is this?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Check your coolant level! Could be low or an airpocket that starves the heater core of hot juice. Or..... the climate control knob or switch is defective, but if this happens when the control is stationary I'd suspect a low coolant condition (which could be a sign of potentially worse situations i.e. engine damage if it overheats). What kind of vehicle is this?

It's a 1998 Chevy Blazer. I think you're right on the coolant. Brian's supposed to flush it soon and hopefully that will help. It's definitely not the control knob/switch--he's already tried that.

Mildcat

+1 on the coolant. Also is the heat only coming out of the defrost and floor? I could be wrong but I believe the Blazers are vacuum actuated, if there is a vac leak it goes into the default mode or a defrost/floor blend. That could explain it still blowing cold air on you even when the heat is off.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
+1 on the coolant. Also is the heat only coming out of the defrost and floor? I could be wrong but I believe the Blazers are vacuum actuated, if there is a vac leak it goes into the default mode or a defrost/floor blend. That could explain it still blowing cold air on you even when the heat is off.
It comes out of the vents no problem. And when it works, it works well--super hot. The Blazer I have is supposed to have climate control--you set it for about a temperature you want and it adjusts for that. That part has never worked right--the only guarantees were that you'd get heat on full blast heat and a/c on full cold (though the a/c also does not work...different issue).

We were going to trade it in for something else but with me in school full time and 4 of us living on 1 income, I'd rather wait til I'm done with school and we're back to a dual-income household. So making the best of it...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It comes out of the vents no problem. And when it works, it works well--super hot. The Blazer I have is supposed to have climate control--you set it for about a temperature you want and it adjusts for that. That part has never worked right--the only guarantees were that you'd get heat on full blast heat and a/c on full cold (though the a/c also does not work...different issue).

We were going to trade it in for something else but with me in school full time and 4 of us living on 1 income, I'd rather wait til I'm done with school and we're back to a dual-income household. So making the best of it...

There is a much easier solution. Just take Brian's car before he leaves for the day!

Mildcat

Ok so if I'm understanding it the blower motor only runs on high. If thats the case it's your resistor block. The resistor block controls the fan speeds but it's bypassed when the fan is set to high. If that's the problem it's an easy fix.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Ok so if I'm understanding it the blower motor only runs on high. If thats the case it's your resistor block. The resistor block controls the fan speeds but it's bypassed when the fan is set to high. If that's the problem it's an easy fix.

The blower works at different levels; the temperature just doesn't auto-regulate well. It never has even far before I started losing heat altogether.

Puck it

The blower works at different levels; the temperature just doesn't auto-regulate well. It never has even far before I started losing heat altogether.

It has nothing to do with the blower motor.

Your blower does very its speed when you adjust it. This is probably right.

Then, you have a problem with the mixing valve. This is a common problem on GM's. The wife's Enclave had the problem. It would only blow cold air in any position. I am sure this is the problem. The valve is inside the dash if I am not mistaken.