• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1st Snowflake of the season

hammer

For my car (Volvo S40), the owner's manual has a range:
When the ambient temperature is between 23 °F and 36 °F (–5 °C and +2 °C), a snowflake symbol is shown in the display. This symbol serves as a warning for possible slippery road surfaces.
Also looking forward to seeing temps too cold for the snowflake...

SKIQUATTRO

At outside temperatures between 41-32° F the snowflake will appear on the LH side of the temperature and between 32-23° F on the RH side to warn you that ice may form on the road

Glenn

Of course, I also like the first day where it's cold enough that the snowflake DOESN'T come on...

That's good snowmaking weather...

-w

That's gotta be a little German Engineer humor. "I think they'll know it's cold...we don't need a snowflake at single digits".

I translated that quote...so they're talking ferinheight in that example. :p

drjeff

Finally got the 15 degree snowflake pic from last March uploaded

duct_tape_derby_006_2a_.jpg

WJenness

Going to test out the LOW end of the scale tonight with a drive up to SR, will be rolling in up there around midnight. Projected temp (according to NWS is about 4 degrees F)

-w

bvibert

Staff member
When I started home from work today my display read 20F, on the trip home it rose to 23F and the snowflake came on, along with it's warning chime. Now I know. ;)

bvibert

Staff member
It's been cold enough here a few times in the last week or two, but this is the first I've seen this season:

71870_1628593643658_1501085519_1571430_636551_n.jpg

Always an exciting event for me! 8)

Glenn

Got one last weekend when my wife and I were heading back from drjeff's Mt Snow place Saturday night.

bvibert

Staff member
Why does it get such bad mileage in reverse?

btw that is still better than my around town average in my Wrangler

That short a gear, that's not bad mileage.

For the record I was at the end of my driveway just about to pull out when I took the picture. I was facing the road, not backing out. I had backed out of my parking spot, then drove forward up a small incline and around two corners before traveling the 30 feet or so of straight driveway to where the driveway ends at the road. All told maybe about 80 feet total of driving was represented in that 13.5MPG. ;)

o3jeff

For the record I was at the end of my driveway just about to pull out when I took the picture. I was facing the road, not backing out. I had backed out of my parking spot, then drove forward up a small incline and around two corners before traveling the 30 feet or so of straight driveway to where the driveway ends at the road. All told maybe about 80 feet total of driving was represented in that 13.5MPG. ;)

I'm not able to really get a good visual from that, possible to draw a picture?:wink:

I don't have a snow flake by my thermometer in my car.