• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2-7-2022 Okemo didn't suck

abc

Resort or Ski Area
Okemo Mountain Resort
Date
Feb 7, 2022
Snow Conditions
  1. Packed Powder
Between dry spells, less than 60% open terrain, and sub-zero temperatures, and with reports of hideous long lift lines, I held off the start of my downhill season. Instead just enjoying the coastal storms in the woods of the flatland on my cross country skis. (mind you, it's a rather fantastic 1st half of the season if you're a flat land cross country skier)

Finally had my first day on the fixed heel planks!

It was a late start, as my friend accidentally grabbed her boy friend's ski instead of her own. So had to wait for her to get her rental skis. It being a midweek day, no real lines to speak of. No social distancing, chairs are "filled voluntarily", but rarely full. There's simply no demand.

Edge to edge cover, soft snow. A bit skied off by mid-afternoon. We skied through the standard "lunch hour" but much our sandwiches around 1:30 at the cafeteria at the top of Sunburst lift (cafeteria wasn't open, just a warm place to brownbag, perfect).

Ventured into the woods a little, but not rewarded with much leftover powder. There're still small rocks poking through here and there. Made for more "sporty" runs, especially for my friend who's on rental planks. Less so for me on my own freshly tuned skis.

We just cruise all over, repeat some runs when we could find softer snow on the side of the trails. Did a couple of ungroomed trails. Small bumps were forming which was more interesting and the highlight of the day. Sun poke out for a moment or two after lunch. But my phone's battery went dead just as I snapped the photo. :(

All in all, a nice day for my "shake down cruise" of the season.

Last edited:

abc

p.s.

For all the talk of Vail fail, Okemo's customer services had remain stellar. Despite rumors of Vail ditching paper trail maps, ,I asked for and was promptly given one. And later, when I somehow lost my mask from my pocket but wanted to go indoors, I asked where I could find a spare mask without having to trot all the way back to my car, I got one right away. Everyone was smiling, pass scanner, lifty...

snoseek

The vail fail is mostly over in nh. Vermont areas seem to be running pretty good despite the unhappy customers. Also aside from the lift issues this weekend at sunapee and a bit of a late start on snowmaking things have been good over there imo. The snow is helping as well.

gladerider

was planning to hit Stratton on 2/12. was worried about conditions after the storm. don't think okemo is more north or higher altitude wise than stratton. so i am assuming it wasn't as bad as thought?
about a week ago it was pretty much all boilerplate and it was before the ice storm.

abc

was planning to hit Stratton on 2/12. was worried about conditions after the storm. don't think okemo is more north or higher altitude wise than stratton. so i am assuming it wasn't as bad as thought?
about a week ago it was pretty much all boilerplate and it was before the ice storm.
Can't speak for Stratton. My decision on Okemo was based on their claim of 13" snow they got on Thur/Fri storm. That turned out to be somewhat close to the truth. See if you could dig up Stratton's snow report.