• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2010 Sundown Bump Comps

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
couple of things...

1) The course should be a little shorter at the bottom (compared to the sping comp)

2) The announcer should be in radio contact with the starter and have a list of bib numbers so they can announce exactly who is in the starting gate (for the benefit of the video folks)

3) Slopestyle comp should be on a seperate day (although this may not work well for an amateur comp)

Thats all I can think of for now, if I think of anything else I'll be sure to post it here.

January comp...

There's no slopestyle on the day of the Jan 30 bump or bust.
the announcer is the starter VIA the PA system and a couple of assistants.
the course is on Temptor's Steep. it's pretty short.

SkiDork

the announcer is the starter VIA the PA system and a couple of assistants.

Not sue I understand this. Normally the announcer is seperate from the stated, but has to be in radio contact.

Announcer and starter the same person? Kinda gonna get confusing.

Greg

Staff member
Not sue I understand this. Normally the announcer is seperate from the stated, but has to be in radio contact.

Again, Temptor is pretty short. Last year's from the announcing stand:

nice video and yeah the run for the March competition is so wide with a good pitch for bumps..maybe 20 degrees

bvibert

Staff member

As Greg said, the Jan. comp is on a much smaller trail. There is scaffolding setup not too far from the start that holds the announcer/starter. This arrangement has worked out ok the last couple of years, last year being a bit smoother than the year before.

Angus

is it good form as an amateur to ski around the jump - intentionally avoiding it - during a competition? I don't do jumps!

bvibert

Staff member
is it good form as an amateur to ski around the jump - intentionally avoiding it - during a competition? I don't do jumps!

You lose points for it, but it's not like you're going to get shot for doing it or anything. The kickers would probably last long if hacks like me didn't basically roll over them like they're one big bump. :lol:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com

Radio Ron did that at the March Bump or Bust. He told me he doesn't do jumps because it's not worth the potential injury and losing out on the spring bump skiing.